“Factory Hotel But Not Bad”
Review of Hotel Casa

Hotel Casa
Ranked #60 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Spain
“Factory Hotel But Not Bad”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This hotel had the feeling of being like a factory. It was huge. It felt like kind of a cross between an upscale hostel and business hotel for small businesses without much on for their expense accounts. First the good stuff. It really has pretty much everything needs for an adequate stay. The rooms were of a decent size (at least mine was), nicely decorated and spotless. It had a wonderful wifi internet connection and good multicultural cable TV stations. The hotel felt very safe. It used a key system that forced you to insert your room key to use the elevator. The desk service was efficient, the check in and check out were quick and easy. The less than good stuff was that the location was a bit out of the way. The area wasn't particularly pretty or interesting. Since I was there only for one night, I never quite understood the tram or bus connections into the center of the City but understood that they were not direct and took some time. Since it was unbearably hot for Amsterdam and time was limited, I ended up just taking taxi's which turned out to be expensive. The other problem was that there wasn't much around the hotel in terms of restaurants, shops, etc. We arrived late. Whatever food service there was at the hotel was finished so we went to the corner and found a good take-out kebob place which worked fine. The hotel breakfast offer was super expensive so I passed on that option. All in all, it was a good stay. I really can't complain about anything except the location was a bit of a trek out of the City center.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank sneilkSpain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I dont typically stay in European hotels, so a few of the customs were a little weird. My girlfriend and I had never seen the 2 single beds in a room before, but after staying in 2 hotels in Europe, we realized this is normal. Also, us Canadians are not used to the small rooms, but again, this was something we found to be normal in European hotels

The price was reasonable, the rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, and the staff was amazingly knowledgeable and helpful. We enjoyed our 5 nights at this hotel. The only issue was it was a little far from the center, but its a short jaunt to Amstel station to catch the metro to the city center. Would stay again during our next visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott S
Bamako, Mali
Reviewed August 2, 2014

The rooms are quite comfortable even though they do have a bit of a ‘dorm like’ feel. The internet is quite fast, enough for streaming and video skype calls. While I did not use the public transport, the hotel is very close within walking distance from the Amstel Station. I know this because I walked there to pick up my bike. A Friend in town rented one of the local Amsterdam public city bikes with her metro card. This was a cheaper option to the bikes rented by Casa. I took breakfast only once, and it was a commendable selection of hot and cold foods. I didn’t take the room rate option that included breakfast and found that the cost of breakfast was quite high for what you could get a local cafes. For the most part I visited various local breakfast spots with local friends and spent about cost of Casa breakfast including alcohol and was able to explore more by choosing this option. I had a very efficient check in and check out. Free printing is available. When I needed to print the boarding pass for the shuttle to the airport, the printer was out of ink, and there were no technicians to fix problem, but the reception desk kindly printed the document. I took a cab to the hotel from the airport upon arrival but as said earlier train is very accessible. I took the airport shuttle service from the hotel to the airport and it was very efficient, on time, cheaper, and they sent me a single car, while I thought I would be sharing a van.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

A very good hotel with friendly and helpful staff!
The rooms are quite big. enough room for 2 people and luggage with plenty of storage for clothes and personal stuff. In the room was a waterboiler/electronic kettle, cups and instant coffe that was refilled every day if it was empty.
The breakfast was good! With bacon and scrambled eggs and baked beans with a few sorts of bread and toppings. And yogurts and cerials. Not to much and not to little. Just enough to choose from when you are tierd in the morning.
And their resturant food was really really good! And not that expensive when we saw how much food we got for the price. Took a little bit longer than usual to get the food but it was worth it!
The only downside was that the beds was a tinsywinsy bit to hard for me. But hey, it was the only downside and one bedtype cant fit al people.
I will come back again soon!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacob F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We had an amazing time in Amsterdam and this was due to this hotel as well. We made the booking directly from their website 3 months in advance and got a very good deal for a non refundable rate.
Location: great location, 3 min walk from Amstel Station. They have a video on their website on how to get to the hotel from Amstel Station. If traveling by plane, just take the train from Schipol Airport (it's easy: you need to change once but in less than 30min you arrive at the hotel and it costs around €5/person - one way).
Rooms: we had a double room which was nice and cosy. Everything was spotless, clean, extra duvets, very efficient air con system (and not making any noise at all). We got free coffee and tea in the room.
Bathroom: with a shower, nice toiletries, nothing special, but again very clean.
Service: very easy and quick check in and check out. The reception team gave us maps with local attractions, printed our boarding passes - all in all they do their best to help in any possible way. Very much appreciated

If going back to Amsterdam I would definitely stay at Hotel Casa 400 and I strongly recommend it both for business and leisure.

We haven't tried the restaurants as were out all the time

Room Tip: Book directly on their website - they've got very good deals
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ovidiu81
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Hotels in Amsterdam are generally not worth the money you are spending on them at all. This hotel is new and very resonably priced. It is not in the city center but the amstel station is very close by and you can take the public transport to the main sights. So if you are not comfortable using public transport maybe not the best option but otherwise do it!

I stayed there with a group and the check in was a bit messy. We arrived prior to check in time and the reception gave us 1 room (out of 3) as we could get the keys for the other two later. However our check in was interrupted by a big tour bus group checking in and we simlpy had to wait. I got the impression that the staff is not trained very well. So dont expect top notch service, just economic standards.

Another no go was that the staff was speaking in dutch about the customers. They did not know i spoke dutch (as i was checking in with international friends). I found that very rude.

But all in all it is a very good value for money accomodation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Nice hotel, friendly and helpful personel, good location. Tasty continental breakfast. My room was situated on the 8th floor, so the view was good. It's a pity that the windows couldn't be open, but I think it is done on safety purpose.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business