“"Good place to stay"”
Review of Avenue Hotel

Avenue Hotel
Ranked #171 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Me and my wife stayed here late last year and I must say the hotel is very nice and clean and am glad that I booked it. Breakfast was good and the hotel is in a good location tucked away from all the madness. Would stay here again in the future...........

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blueberry187

Reviewed January 16, 2014

The cheek of this hotel, they offer 'FULL REFUND WHEN YOU LEAVE A GOOD REVIEW ON TRIPADVISOR'... I'm sure there's fine print somewhere, but obviously you don't get your money back. (see the picture I added)
I just got back today from Amsterdam and I genuinely feel cheated by the reviews left on here.
The hotel was rubbish all in all, the location was the best bit. The staff were useless and ignored me, I came back late one night and there was no-one on reception for 25 minutes, I, in the mean time had to stand outside freezing, then when a bloke did show up there was no apology, just a blank stare.
The room we were in had underfloor heating, which sounds great however it means you cannot turn it off and without the noisy air conditioning blasting it was way to hot. All the sounds made in the hotel travel very well, you can hear the lift throughout and people walking around and banging doors.

On my last night one of the staff was telling people enquiring it was 50euro a night at the door, I had paid close to double this.

Also as other people have mentioned, the shower makes the entire bathroom unusable until it's dry due to a pooling effect, the breakfast was a joke.. chicken nuggets and literally a block of bacon swimming in grease. Oh and not enough toast for everyone.

Don't get me wrong I am not a bitter person, I have been to Amsterdam on several occasions and firmly recommend the Innerhotel and Ramada (bit of a trek but worth it).

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Oliver P
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed here for for 5 nights in November.The room was very clean,well maintained, and comfortable,and, most importantly,quiet. It was average European size, which is smaller than avg.US size, which can be a surprise to some Americans. The rate included a great buffet breakfast,which is a very good way to start the day.The location is very good, within walking distance of most attractions, and 5 minutes from the train station.The highlight,though, is the staff. They were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul M
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed in the Avenue on recommendation in October. The hotel is in a great location, close to Dam square. The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfy.
The best thing about the hotel is the staff. I had a very bad expereince as I has my bag stolen with my passport which meant I had to stay an extra night and go the Embassy ! Long story but the staff in the hotel where amazing. They helped me with everything I needed and told me where to go etc. I have nothing more than good things to say about the hotel and would definalty recommend the Avenue. I will be returning myself in March :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LiverpoolLucy
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Hotel is located on the corner of Neuwezids Vourgwal and Sint Jacobstraat. Exterior and Lobby presentable, but as soon as you get in the cramped lift, all goues down south. The rooms are small and the ceilings low. We even found on the balcony ledge trash from the room's previous occupant. Carpet was threadbare and smells moldy. We were billeted on the 3rd floor, the hallway floor had a hole on the floor covered with carpet, so threat lightly or you may find your foot stuck in the hole. watercloset inside the room was so so, and the drain on the sink wouldnt work properly. The only good quality of this hotel is the buffet breakfast.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank one3mac
Reviewed December 14, 2013

It is alright hotel, very central located, room was nice, but not all rooms are good, some of them are smaller then others. My very good impression and stay in the hotel made a receptionist Marine. Thank you very much for your help Marine, truly customer orientated, very helpful receptionist. The hotel itself is ok, basic, but clean and in a very good location!!!!
It is not a luxury, but got all you need.
I would recommend to stay there as a good budget hotel.
Oxana
London

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Oxana B
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

What a great hotel nice clean and tidy nice staff willing to help will b staying there again one thing is the rooms need tea and coffee making amenities only because when UV bn smoking all that good weed u need a nice pot of tea to stop the camels mouth just saying :))))

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple