“One night stay was ok”
Review of Avenue Hotel

Avenue Hotel
Ranked #172 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My partner and I only stayed hear for one night and a one night stay in the room we has was ok but wouldn't want to stay in the room any longer the room only had a shower no bath and the view out the window was of the back of another building. The room cost 76 pound and came with breakfast. Breakfast was ok egg,bacon,cheese,toast and ham.juices,tea and coffee all you need to start the day. We checked in at 11am and expected but leave our bags in the luggage room until 2 pm as the hotel policy is check In at2 but the room was ready :).. Came with free wifi too :) staff our friendly. For me the only improvement would of been a bath in the room and a better view out the window the whole hotel was boiling hot but as the weather outside for -3 and snowing this was ok.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sean110986
There are newer reviews for Avenue Hotel

Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

The Avenue hotel is well situated in the heart of Amsterdam. A quick walk to the train station and the sites. Rooms have all you need and the breakfast in the morning set you up for the day. On arrival the staff were courteous and friendly. Would definately stay here again if I went back to the Dam

1  Thank Imcomingtogetyou
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Avenue is a lovely little hotel 5 min walk from central station in the heart of amsterdam 10 min walk from dam square red light district and plenty of cafes pubs and shops very close by will be useing this hotel again if ever im in amsterdam the rooms are a nice size for 2 people very clean and comfy the breakfast in the morning was nice to and the man and ladys on reception desk were very friendly and would answers any questions with no bother all spoke very good english .

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank helga f
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed there in January and I found a massive bug walking on the floor in the bathroom. The management and reception weren't even interested in offering me any kind of compensation and their excuse was that I didn't want to have my room serviced on the second night, I was staying only for two nights. Insects like this don't grow overnight especially when there was -10 outside. I presented them a photo evidence but they still weren't bothered, I even heard that I only spent 60 euros a night so I'm not entitled to any compensation. Well, I
Presume that insects are included when you are paying a lower price.

I needed to sent an email myself as I was promised to be contacted by the manager which never happened.

The location was great i need to say, the rooms are nothing special (they look like they are from 70' like someone mentioned before) but for a short stay they were alright for me and my partner.

If you are looking for something for one night it will be very good for you because of the location but don't stay any longer and pray that nothing bad will happen with your room as they don't pay attention to the thing called customer satisfaction.

On the plus side is the restaurant, food was tasty and there was a large variety of breakfast items.

As you can see on previous reviews they have a problem with bugs and they still haven't solve it.

I won't stay there again, not because they didn't offer anything from their side, but because they don't care about people spending their money in their hotel.

2  Thank Lucas500
AvenueHotelAMS, Front Office Manager at Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear sir,

Thank you so kindly for leaving a review.

In the common tongue the tiny insect which you describe seeing upon checking out is named a silverfish. A silverfish grows approximately 12mm long (this is including tentacles which are half its body length). The picture you took makes it look very long but I assure you the body of this insect is hardly longer than an eyelash.

Unfortunately silverfish are very common and extremely hard to get rid of because they prefer moist places and tend to spend most of their lives in areas that are not that easy to access (inner walls, isolation, cracks). Of course this does not imply that we as a hotel do not do our best to prevent such insects in our building, thus we are happy that you have brought this insect to our attention.

Furthermore I personally replied your email concerning this issue on the 29th of January 2013 but it seems you never read this reply. Perhaps my reply went directly to your email’s spam box?

I wrote you the following email:

----

Dear sir/madam,

Thank you so kindly for your complaint as it assists us in further optimizing our communication.

First we would like to apologize for the experience you had while checking out.

I have spoken to all staff concerned.

It seems our housekeeping department did not clean your room because you have put a ‘do not disturb’ card on your door. Our cleaning staff cannot show competence if they are not enabled to their job because they have to respect the wish of a guest to not be disturbed.

Consequently it is not possible to proactively deal with the very localized insect problem which you describe. However we are grateful for you pointing out this issue to us so we can better instruct and direct our cleaning staff.

As for the manner of how our rooms are furnished: this is a matter of taste which is highly personal. However I am glad to mention that the current owner is planning to gradually refurnish the rooms of the Avenue Hotel late 2013.

Apart from offering our apologies we cannot provide you with a compensation. This due to the fact that our cleaning staff was not enabled to do their work properly because of your wish not to be disturbed during your stay with us.

When posting your comment on a website like Tripadvisor please be so kind as to mention your wish to not be disturbed during your stay. So future guests are aware that if they want a competent upkeep of their room they do need to enable our cleaning department to do their job competently.

Hoping to have informed you sufficiently.

----

I do hope this writing does clarify things for you. If not you are always welcome to contact me by email, all you need to do is reply the email I have sent you earlier.

Hoping to have informed you sufficiently.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Booked only one night but had a great stay
Very friendly staff, cheaper than other hotels nearby and with better service (wi-fi in the room and breakfast included).
Clean, quiet, cosy and warm room with flat screen tv and comfy bed.
Very central, few minutes from central station

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 5, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Hani H
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 6 nights. Comfy bed. Very close to city centre took us less then 5 min to walk to city centre. Perfect for a short stay. Breakfast was nice a little short on choice but again fine for what you paid. Oy problem I had was receptionist convinced us to book transport back to airport on are return home. When this did not turn up we were them told by another receptionist it never does and we had to rush to book very high priced taxi.

1  Thank Beckiejayneking