$220
Hotels.com
$193
Radisson Blu
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of $309/night.

Hotel Sebastian's(Amsterdam)
$203
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $243/night.

Banks Mansion(Amsterdam)
$296
  • Breakfast included
$225
$203
NH Hotels
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of $270/night.

$466
$377
$189
$180
Kimpton
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $225/night.

Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)
$417
$382
$198
$186
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $220/night.

Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
$339
$242
  • Room Service
1,669 results
All reviewsdam squarecentral stationgreat locationsingle roomquad roomwet roombreakfast was includedred light districtthree starluggage roomfive minute walkshort staytram stopclean hotelstayed here for nightssmall roomtea and coffee
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at the Avenue from 16th to 21st August 2012. What a good choice the Avenue turned out to be. First its location. It is close to the shopping area, Dam and the Centraal Station and tram stops are only two minutes walk away. So it is unbeatale for travelling around the city and getting to the attractoins.The room we had was very quiet but only looked out onto an internal courtyard. This view is not unusual in centrally located hotels.. We had stayed in the city before so the size of the room was not unexoected. The room and bathroom are small but perfectly adequate for a short break. Very clean and comfortable but there was not the expected safe. Safe deposit boxes are in an area near reception but non were available during our stay. The hotel is, however, very secure. An eficient and friendly reception staff soon had us settled in our room. The breakfast was excellent with a wide choice of hot and cold food, fruit juice, milk, tea and coffee. The dining room was never full so you could come down and have a relaxed meal in pleasant surroundings. If we go back to Amsterdam the Avenue will be our first choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnTLeeds
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Pros:

* Great location. Literally 2 blocks from the central station. Short walk to Red Light district, tons of restaurants nearby, tram lines stop right in front

* Friendly and [mostly] helpful staff

* Clean

* Shuttle to (and from?) airport, for a cost as I gather.

Ambivalent:

* Room size. Rather small, but that's to be expected. Room really is cozy considering its size, but the bed is barebones and pillow lacks any sort of support.

Cons:

* Internet. Dear lord, awful. I always bring my ethernet cable to plug straight in so I don't have to fuss with spotty WiFi signals/configuration. Well, the plug was there, but no signal was flowing, so I had to go with my laptop's wireless (which involved going down to reception to get login details...which was really just an annoyance). It took me literally 30 minutes to grab the SSID and connect properly. Not sure if it's because of thick walls, terrible coverage, or me just being at the end of the hallway. Regardless, this is unacceptable when WiFi is the ONLY way to connect and the ethernet port is useless. Finally connected, the bandwidth was absurdly limited. I could barely connect to gmail to check my mail. I really wanted to search around on the internet to find stuff to do.

* Cost. For a 3 star hotel to pay 130 euro is a bit much. If you want to be close to the center though, expect to pay.

Overall, it's a fine hotel to sleep in, little else. The TV doesn't even get many channels, news mostly. The hotel should really consider an upgrade package for the internet or get some more bandwidth and boost the WiFi signal, because take "free internet" with a grain of salt. For what I'm paying I didn't expect such terrible internet, even if this is only 3 star hotel.

I haven't had breakfast yet, but I assume it's run-of-the-mill European hotel quality.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank NoCoastPunk
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I'm staying here now and the problems started on check-in. They cancelled my reservation without contacting me. If was late in the evening and there was no time to change hotels. They checked me in at a rate almost double that of my reservation for this they gave me a "upgrade" room. The AC / heater will not turn on, there are stains on the wall, the bathroom smells like rotten wood, bed is lumpy and feels like springs are shot, the room has insufficient lights and the lights they do have are bolted down in bad spots. Cheap twenty year old furniture, slow small elevator. They should tear it down and start over.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim S
AvenueHotelAMS, Front Office Manager at Avenue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear guest (# 210 and #406) ,

Thank you so kindly for leaving your comment. This assists us in further fine-tuning our service, in taking away situations that are unclear and providing advice/information to you and other travelers

First of all we are very sorry to read you had a negative experience.

In response to your comment:

1. “They cancelled my reservation without contacting me”

Once you arrived at the Avenue Hotel I personally explained to you why your two reservations were not in our system anymore: this was because your 2 reservations went no-show.

When a reservation becomes a no-show the hotel is allowed to charge the first night only.

If the hotel keeps a no-show reservation in its original state - in your situation 7 nights – this could very well result in holding a room for 6 days, not being able to sell this room in the mean time, and ending up only being able to charge one night. For a hotel this is damaging and thus we do not take the risk.

Procedure:

When a guest does not arrive on the day of check-in we hold the room for him/her until 12:00 (which is our check-out time) the next day. On this day we do our outmost best to find out if the guest is still to arrive or not. As explained to you by myself this is what we have done.

Please let me explain once again that we have never received your contact details with the booking. The simple reason for this is that your travel agent booked through a wholesaler (who in turn booked with the Avenue Hotel) but your travel agent never provided your contact details: so we ‘could not’ contact you directly.

All we could do (and which we have done) was to contact the wholesaler who in turn did their outmost best to contact your travel agent to find out if you were still going to arrive or not. It seems your agent lacked a (timely/good) response to this subject matter thus we received an official cancellation from the wholesaler, which for wholesalers is a standard procedure: your travel agent is well aware of this procedure.

We could not contact you directly but rest assure we would never treat a reservation as a ‘no-show reservation’ without first following a proper and correct procedure set by the industry.

Furthermore you have mentioned to me that you previously informed your agent that you would arrive a day later. The wholesaler (with whom our hotel has many years of good experience) nor us were informed about this fact by your travel agent. The day after you informed me that the employee at your travel agent - who handled your reservation - had stopped working for this travel agent: I mentioned to you that this might very well be the reason why your request was never communicated to the Avenue Hotel in the first place. I strongly advise you to inform your travel agent about this.

2. “It was late in the evening and there was no time to change hotels”.

After having had explained to you the procedure above I set to processing 2 new reservations (18:26hrs) for you and your colleague. Due to the IBC congress and the very high demand for hotel rooms in Amsterdam we had very little rooms left thus the daily rates applied were higher than normal, which was the case for all the hotels in Amsterdam during the IBC congress.

You mentioned another hotel name and upon hearing you mention this hotel I personally guided you to the public computer in the lobby and assisted you in finding their daily rates (which were much higher), I even offered helping you in making a reservation with this hotel or any other hotel for that matter.

I have provided you with a choice and I offered providing you all the assistance with making this choice: you chose to stay in the Avenue Hotel, therefore agreeing with the rates that applied at that moment.

We understand your grievances, we understand that the Avenue Hotel is the only entity within this chain of companies you actually get to communicate your grievances with and we understand that this experience affects the complete impression of your stay in the Avenue Hotel.

But again we would like to stress that 1) we have done everything we could 2) we followed all procedures set by the industry 3) we are not ‘the part’ within the previous mentioned chain of companies where the current problem came into existence 4) we did everything to assist you and 5) we strongly advice you to further take this up with your travel agent.

3. Well meant advice for you and all future travelers:

In case of changes we always advice all guests traveling to contact their hotel directly, to do this preferably by email and make sure it is confirmed by email. This avoids mistakes, especially when more than one company is involved between guest and hotel. Also we advise to always contact the hotel in advance to reconfirm your reservation, this because of the same reason mentioned above.

Hoping to have informed and advised you sufficiently

Kind regards

Front office manager

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I attend a trade fair in Amsterdam every other year and always stay at the Avenue Hotel. Being two minute walk from the Central Train Station, close to Dam Square and many other attractions, the Avenue offers comfortable rooms and a very friendly staff for a very reasonable price. My only complaint would be that the wifi provided was spotty in the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KiaOra97
Reviewed September 4, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com