“Last Resort!”

Delta Hotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #342 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 7, 2008

It's been a few years... but I'll sum it up:

When I first came in from Damrak, I noticed the lobby was bit funky smelling. When I checked in, I got hit with a 70e deposit (which was later given back at check out). It was a bit dim and somebody was passed out in the middle of the lobby.

The room apppeared to be clean. I opened the curtains and my view was a brick wall and some trash strewn around the ground. The WC was decent and clean and there were towels. Very basic.

I went out after a shower for some beers and food. When I came back later that night I was scolded by the front desk personel for not leaving my key with them.

The ventilation in my room was quite poor and I couldn't sleep that well... i just sweated in bed all night...

Check out was a easy enough...except having to make my way around about 50 dudes and their baggage through the tiny and stuffy lobby.

Not exactly a honeymoon resort. The people hanging around the area just outside after 10pm are up to no good... go there with your buddy or alone for a quick stay and get the hell out. Central Station is very close...

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Schipholio

Reviewed April 4, 2008

We had a great time mostly due to the fantastic location of the hotel, very central minutes from the red light district and tram stops just across the road.
The hotel was very clean, the beds were comfy and the water for the shower was hot. The rooms we had were spacious.
The staff on reception were very helpful, they recommended a restaurant Gouco's this is a great place to eat and is about 3 mins from the hotel, just ask reception for directions.
The breakfast was good, hot and plenty of it.
The location of the hotel is the biggest draw to this hotel, we went as a family with an age range of 19 - 70 so the location was brilliant within 1 minute we had shops, coffee shops, restaurants and bars.
We would definately return to this hotel again.
If your lucky enough to get a room at the front the view is great.
You can sit and people watch.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We stayed at Delta Hotel on the Damrak, number 42 (the main strip) from 19th March'08 till 21st March for my hen do.
Not much to look at from the outside but inside it was like a 5* hotel!

Cost:
6 of us shared an 8 bed room for 2 nights at £42 per person, including breakfast both mornings.

Location:
Our room faced the canal and main Damrak strip, the front of the hotel. 10mins walk from Dam Square and not much further away from the nightlife of the bars and nightclub 'Escape'. Perfect location.
canal boat rides were opposite us and we were central to all the shops and coffee shops.

Food:
The food was excellent and the staff were brilliant in the hotel resturant downstairs. As a guest you get 10% off meals and drinks too- remember to show your room key!!
Drinks are allowed to be taken upstairs. Resturant was very clean, you can watch them cook as the kitchen is open. Its also open to passers by for food so its not just guests eating there but we had no trouble with finding a table and they are very accomodating for larger parties (moving tables around etc)

Breakfast was included in price. Bacon, eggs, beans, toast, yogurt, fruit, cereal, tea, coffee etc.

Lunch served until 4pm, baquettes etc.

Dinner, open till 11pm, was excellent. 9.25 euros for spagetti bolognase for example, huge serving too!
6 euros for large bottle of water, 3 for hot chocolate with cream - delicious!

Rooms:
VERY comfortable, huge pillows, proper quilts, white linen, no itchy blankets! Good towels, replenished if needed. Very clean. Double doors open onto balcony, can lean out but not big enough to stand on. Smoking was allowed in rooms.
Bathroom was big, open shower/wet room. 6 mirrors in room,
TV with music channels and english subtitles (not that you would want to stay in much, but good for a lazy morning!!)
Desk, wardrobe, bedside tables, sofa and table and safe box in room. Excellent room , would highly reccomend.
be warned thou....if you are not a smoker you may not appreciate the stale smell of smoke in the room! But the double balcony doors are a blessing, and if youre going to smoke in the room anyway it doesnt matter!
our room was cleaned, there made our beds and tidied towels etc but left all our clutter where it was which was great! Didnt have to tidy things away before going out.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2008

This is never a three star hotel. The location is fantastic but the hotel is horrible. The rooms are shoddy the carpet is threadbare it was more like a youth hostel.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank barnieboy
Reviewed March 6, 2008

this hotel was stinking and filthly went there for wkend and could not sleep in the bed it was covered in urine stains and blood stains pillows were rotton and stinking skirting boards were full of dust and dirt every room is the same and all the way up to the top floor corridors and in need of a good scrub and hoover dont use this hotel else your wkend will b ruined better sleepin in the gutter at least they get cleaned now and then

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank achapel
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We just returned from a weekend in Amsterdam.We stopped at the Delta with 3 x other couples, 2 of the couples were being bit by bed bugs. The breakfast was disgusting, everyhting was cold and had been sitting there from early morning until 10-00am. The rooms were dark and dismal even though they say it has been refurbished recently. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the only good point about the hotel was the shower was good. Do not stop here.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank bluejinty
Reviewed February 25, 2008

This is my second stay in Amsterdam so I have something to compare with. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else. The website says the hotel has been renovated but as the staff advised only the bathrooms have been done. The rooms are tiny, what I expected. The mattress is about 30 years old. I wanted to use the spare pillows in the room but when I saw them I would not let my dog sleep on them. I did not dare check under the pillowcases!

We were a party of 4 couples in 4 rooms. Two of us were bitten all over the body by something. I challenged the reception staff and they said that they had tested for bugs 2 weeks before and were told they were clean. Coincedence, I think not.

I accept that you get what you pay for, 218 euro for 2 nights but I think you will do better without any problem. While the breakfast is free, it is of little value if you cannot eat it.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends