“worst hotel in amsterdam”

Delta Hotel Amsterdam City Centre
Ranked #343 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 29, 2011

when we arrived we were told we had to pay cash even though we made card booking ,i refused ,was told to get cash from atm ,i refused,staff got very cheeky,eventually paid by card in their restaurant so of to a bad start,the rooms have not been updated since the 70s.the bed was broke .plobably 30 years old,the worst pillows ive ever seen in a hotel,not even a full duvet to cover the bed.i went in to check the shower, turned on the shower and the shower head flew off the wall ,soaked me [still fully clothed]and flooded the bathroom ,could hear everything from the bathroom above,paid 4* price for 1*hotel . never b back here again and as for the breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3  Thank peter d

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Had read the reviews on the internet, only after booking. Was apprehensive prior to the visit.

We have no problem in locating the hotel, and check in was easy. The service staff was very courteous and prompt. However, we have to pay 10 euros for some tax (not sure what it is), and 25 euros deposit (for phone calls).

The bedroom assigned was reasonable in size (compared to other hotels in Amsterdam). But the mattresses for both beds were too worn out and soft! We literally sank into the mattress.

TV programmes are available in various languages. We were surprised that there were also two programmes from CCTV (China), one in Chinese, while the other in English.

Generally, the overall experience is good, and it would be much better if the mattresses can be replaced.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Location location location must be the key to the pricing here because I couldn't see how this hotel can justify charging 60 Euros a night for a single room that wasn't any better than any of the hostels you can find dotted around Amsterdam.

I was most aggrieved at check in when I was informed the credit/debit card machine had broken and if I wanted to continue the reservation I'd have to pay cash. After carefully planning how much cash I'd needed to bring with me (and hence getting best exchange rates and paying minimum commission) I was a bit cheesed off that I'd now have to withdraw cash from a foreign ATM and be hit with charges I hadn't planned for. No great problem, I know, but it was their manner that really grated me.

Once through reception it becomes clear that they don't reinvest much in this hotel. The carpets were torn and dirty, stairs wonky, rooms patchy and no curtain. Someone's obviously making a lot of money out of this place.

But, it's saving grace is that it is located half way up Damrak - 5 minutes from Centraal Station, 5 minutes from Dam Square, 5 minutes from the Red Light District, shopping precinct right behind.

Okay if all you're after is somewhere to put your head down for the night and you're not exactly after the Ritz, but come on Delta - be a bit more realistic with your pricing.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2011

this is the worst hotel me and my friends had ever stayed in the was 10 of us had an 8 man room and a 2 man room. the beds were not cleaned proply they only flip the sheets and give you new towels there was damp on the wall and to top it off the room had MICE we found mouse traps and mouse POSION and they dont want you take take food in the room the only hotel iv ever known to be like that and if you do you will lose your deposit but now we know why. the mice had eaten threw a pack of my mates chrips/chips. will never use this hotel again and i go twice a year. for 95euros a night you should not have mice in your room DO NOT USE whatever the price or deal worst hotel EVER.

Room Tip: choose the eden hotel at rembrantte square
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2011

The Delta is situated in a very central position which is always a good thing when staying in a city. I had read some of the reviews which were poor, but only stayed in this hotel because we were meeting friends who had already booked. Our room had grubby carpets and net curtains and the curtains that were coming off the rails. However the bed linen was clean and the bed comfortable. We stayed at the back of the hotel which was over the kitchens but it was quiet and the bathroom was clean.
The staff on the desk were friendly but the hotel is tatty and well past it's sell-by date, it reminded me of student accomodation, so at around 95 euros a night it seemed expensive. The seats in reception were very stained and breakfast was the poorest I'd ever had in a hotel before. Ever!

Reviewed November 22, 2011

six of us stayed here for 3 nights , from the outside and the reception area the hotel looks nice but that all changes when you start to go up the stairs, with the torn, dirty and smelly carpets. then into the room dirty mirrors, torn wallpaper and damp and mould patches on the wall.the bathroom was clean.the beds where do i start you would be more comfortable sleeping on the floor if it wasn't for the mice in our room.my friend was woken up by a mouse running across her arm when she was asleep, it was our last night thank god.told reception but did nothing. the breakfast was fine but need to be down early for it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed here on a Saturday night... Hotel was nice enough. Good price, lift that worked. Rooms in back are quiet. Breakfast in adjacent restaurant, but we slept in and missed that!