“A hotel to avoid despite location”
Review of Hotel Damrak

Hotel Damrak
Ranked #279 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The service we had at this hotel was shockingly bed, the man on the reception desk was incredibly rude when we were trying to sort out a booking problem and insisted on continually pointing in my face. The triple room was small and was in a very poor state of repair.

This hotel is in a very good location but this in no way makes up for the terrible customer service (it was so bad my friends and I prefered to pay for breakfast nest door rather than have the breakfast included in the room rate) or poor room. There was no airconditioning which meant we were left with the choice of being boiling hot or leaving the window open and allowing the midgies in to bite us during the night.

I have emailed the owner to complain about the service I received and haev had no response after 3 weeks. To make matters even worse (as if it was possible) I posted feedback on the website I booked this hotel trhough (easytobook.com) but my comments have not beed posted and the marks awarded start at 5 so when you think you are awarding the lowest possible score you are actually awarding 5 out of ten, misleading to say the least.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 27, 2009

Location is central, but everything about this hotel was awful. The room was dirty, bedding was dingy and smelled uwashed, comforters had cigarette burn marks and you're provided w/ stained towels that had once been white. We were afraid we'd leave carrying bedbugs and a rush. Forget room service, internet, alarm clock or even phone, and the A/C made plenty of noise but failed to cool our room. Also, be careful w/ your valuables, as we left carrying less items then we came with.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank NBJ_9
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Location is excellent - a few mins from the central station. And the restaurant is good, had steak, very tasty. This hotel suits mosty a group of friends - I went for a friends birthday with a gang of girls. We had a number of rooms, with 3 beds in ours, however we did have an extra guest on the last night. When we complained about the mouse, we were told by the fella on reception that Amsterdam is an old city and we should expect it. We did only pay £92 for return flight to Liverpool and 2 nights bed and brekkie.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank DawnieDo
Reviewed May 26, 2009

stayed for a few days only and were initially shown a relatively clean room which we stayed in for the night. We were then moved to another room which was revolting. A big fake wooden head board thing housed thousands of bugs that wait for you to go to bed before feasting on your blood. Heavily blood stained mattress and sheet, and dirty fresh blood stains on towels. Complained but the manager had mysteriously vanished and was not due back for some days. All staff very reluctant to visit our room. We caught in excess of 50 bedbugs in a plastic bag as the reception staff adamantly denied that there were bedbugs in the room.
It was not until we began to show other guests our little biting roomates and they began to leave that we were offered any money back, by this time it was 4 am and we had been sitting downstairs, with no where to go all night All we got was a refund for that night spent arguing and catching bedbugs for evidence, and with no where to go.... No offer of a good will gesture or even an apology, ...Shame on you Damn Damrak

• Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Don't waste your money at this disgusting (but expensive!) hotel. Hair in the bed, stains and holes on sheets, tons of mold on the bathroom ceiling. Not a comfortable stay at all; breakfast was a joke. Staff could care less. Unpleasant all the way around.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SanDiegoLeslie
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We stayed at the Damrak for two nights. It was a horrible experience. Dark, dirty, moldy, and unfriendly. The bedding was stained and uncomfortable. On night two we noticed a pair of mens underwear in the closet. We had not noticed them the day before. Not quite sure they didn't rent the room out by the hour while we were out for the day! I had to take two sleeping pills to get through the second night in this hotel. I was uncomfortable, felt dirty and unsafe while I was there. Don't waste your money!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank alycat92107
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I stayed two nights in this awful hotel.The first night the bed sheets smell like someone had peed on them. And also there were funny noises coming from the closet. Next day I discovered that a mouse had eaten my bag with gifts I bought to bring home....

The receptionist was ironic and rude , nobody cared, they didn't say sorry or something else, they didn't give me my money back.
Don't ever stay in this hotel!!!!!

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple