“Horrible place” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #308 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Uknown
“Horrible place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

we stayed there for two nights, what a nightmare, dirty dark place, endless stairs, tight rooms, actually tight everything, we were actually without power for several hours the second day of our stay, so no shower because the water was cold, didn't shave either cuz it was dark. This hotel is a perfect place for rottens and nothing else. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: if you still going there stay away from room 101, believe me i know
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Katwijk, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

we Arived at this Hotel and were shocked to find out the building was completly renovated and not fit for living, the windows where boarded up and it looked terrible. We had a look around the building for a while, through the windows we could only see woud and building aquipment laying on the floor. We looked for the entrance but no luck. We found accomodation elsewhere, but 3 days later realised we were charged a night by this hotel for the "inconvenience" of us not arriving for check in as we had booked online. They where open apparently but it didn't look that way at all, i defenatly would not have stayed there anyway the state it was in, it's a good location but the rest is just terrible.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank joanie86

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

We booked last August for this trip & at no point since did we get any correspondence to say the hotel had closed. Imagine our shock when we arrived to be confronted by a building up for sale & nothing more than a shell!!! My advice, if you've made the same mistake as us, (it's still on the internet as a lovely hotel!) wander further down the street, find the Lindburgh & book an apartment! Thankfully we found the Lindburgh & the staff were wonderful & sorted our accommodation problem within minutes. The apartment was clean & cosy & cheaper than the Damrak.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed in a room for 8 (room 21) and the smell of urine from the bathroom was unbearable. Good location which came in handy considering we couldn't bear to be in the room for longer than 10 minutes without wanting to heave! Pricey too considering its a dump.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
dano535
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

Subject: Amsterdam
Location: Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, The Netherlands, Europe
Title: Never, ever, again!
ID#: 38056587

I actually read reviews for this hotel on TripAdvisor before I stayed at this hotel with my teen son that a travel agent booked for us. The agent assured me that reviews online should always be taken with a grain of salt. At that point, I should have relied on my gut and TripAdvisor.

This place is a tourist trap, and they prey on those who don't know any better. The front desk was a table in the back of an Argentine restaurant, and you have to lug your luggage through tables and chairs.

The room had no sheets on the bed, no outlets in the room or bath, mold, broken furniture, and worn carpeting. I asked for a new room after telling the front desk I was in Amsterdam with my teen son and not for sex or drugs. It seemed it was assumed those were the only things one would need a room here for. Power in the room wouldn't work if I took my room key, so my son couldn't watch TV or read if I went to get a cup of coffee.

I asked for a new room, and the second one was only slightly better because it didn't have any carpet at all. I felt so guilty bringing my son here, we left after two nights and I spoke with the manager about getting my money back for the next two nights. I filled in a ton of forms for the owner who was not on site, and the manager said his hands were tied. After I realized I was probably going to get charged for all four nights, I did let them know I would write an honest review here, but if I got the refund, I wouldn't be so brutally honest. I walked down the road to the classier Swiss Hotel and got a rate that was LESS than at the dumpy hotel. I was also greeted by uniformed guest service reps in an air-conditioned lobby. It was an awful way to start our vacation, and it's a terrible example of Dutch hospitality.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Marysville, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

Avoid this hotel! Almost everything was broken in the room, stuff (who knows what on the wall), and a twin room with only one pillow!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
amok
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

The service we had at this hotel was shockingly bed, the man on the reception desk was incredibly rude when we were trying to sort out a booking problem and insisted on continually pointing in my face. The triple room was small and was in a very poor state of repair.

This hotel is in a very good location but this in no way makes up for the terrible customer service (it was so bad my friends and I prefered to pay for breakfast nest door rather than have the breakfast included in the room rate) or poor room. There was no airconditioning which meant we were left with the choice of being boiling hot or leaving the window open and allowing the midgies in to bite us during the night.

I have emailed the owner to complain about the service I received and haev had no response after 3 weeks. To make matters even worse (as if it was possible) I posted feedback on the website I booked this hotel trhough (easytobook.com) but my comments have not beed posted and the marks awarded start at 5 so when you think you are awarding the lowest possible score you are actually awarding 5 out of ten, misleading to say the least.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends