“not the “value for money””

Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
Ranked #184 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My experience of the Eden Hotel Amsterdam - Hampshire Eden is far from being good. I spent a week there at the beginning of October while I was attending a congress in Amsterdam. Accommodation had been paid in advance through a travel agency.
While I was at the reception desk to check in, somebody stole my wallet with all my money and credit cards from a bag that was standing beside me. The theft was video recorded by Hotel´s camera. The hotel staff, including general manager, was quite indifferent. They said that such things were happening every day in Amsterdam hotels and that the hotel bore no responsibility for the safety of its guests and things in the lobby. They did not help me in any way though I was left without any money; they only instructed me to go to the police station and report the theft. Only thing they offered me was the dinner in Hotel´s restaurant that evening.
Further, the hotel room was small, not very clean, dark, airless, with a view into a narrow light shaft and windows of other rooms, so curtains had to be drawn all the time. There was no mini bar and no tea/coffee making facilities and no Wi-Fi connection in the room.
And that is not all. A day before my departure, my nightdress vanished from the room (the staff by mistake took it to the laundry along with bed linen?). Today, a month after my stay at the hotel, they still have not sent the nightdress to me as we agreed.
On top of everything that happened, the majority of hotel staff was unfriendly and indifferent, often doing other things while talking to me.
Conclusion: The hotel is not safe (inside collaboration with the thief?), rooms are inadequate, not very clean, the staff is unfriendly; briefly, not the “value for money”.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank MMAJA_12
Write a ReviewReviews (2,952)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was my second stay at the Eden hotel and i chose it for a second time because it was so perfect the first time!
After telling the hotel it was my mums 60th Birthday, the hotel could not have done anymore than they did. We were given one of the best rooms in the hotel if not the best! The view was amazing right over the canal. The room was lovely refurbished bathroom, flat screen TV my only moan would be the windows are very old fashioned and you can hear everything through them but it's not busy around the hotel so not to bad. The hotel is right by Rembrandt Sq, and about a 10 minute walk to the Dam, Red light etc.
DO NOT get a taxi from the airport what a rip off 50 euro!! get a train 7 euro and then the tram 2 euro. The tram is right outside the train station and drops you right outside the hotel. The staff are lovely will do anything for you love the bar staff always put a smile on your face lol!
The concierge will go out of his way to help you no questions asked!
Did not try the food other than a bowl of chips but the restaurant did seem popular.

I had looked at the Doubletree Hilton, and other hotels but they are no match to the Eden. A definite stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal. If they can do it they will.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was a little worried about this hotel after reading such mixed reviews but we wanted somewhere central and this hotel was reasonably priced too. I needn't have worried though because everything was perfect for our stay.

The hotel is sort of split in 2, with the 4* entrance on Rambrandtplein and the 3* entrance on the banks of the Amstel. We actually checked in on the 4* side even though it was the 3* side we were staying and were promptly served and directed to our room. The standard room was pretty compact but no smaller than most hotels in London or Paris. Everything was clean and fresh and the room was serviced every day. Down stairs there is a large main bar with TVs, magazines and free Wifi a small piano bar and a restaurant.

We found all the staff to be very helpful and charming, the concierge helped us with taxi's, directions and storing our luggage on the final day. I really am a bit bemused by the complaints of rudeness! All I can say is that the Dutch people are pretty much like Germans in that they can come across as a little abrupt some times, but that's all.

All in all I thought it was good value for money and very convenient and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. The rooms are quite nice, quiet, and modern looking, and comfortable. The location of the hotel made it very easy to get around the city. The staff were not rude, but not friendly. The most helpful person, and most willing to help were the Concierges. They were helpful in arranging transportation specifically for us. The hotel does have complimentary WiFi, but it is NOT available in the rooms, only downstairs in the main lobby. The hotel does have computers available for use, but you're better off using your own because their's are horrible slow. Overall our stay was enjoyable, I would recommend the hotel and would stay again myself.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here in September 2012 for two nights before boarding a cruise. We found the location to be really central for walking all over the city. The rooms, although small by North American standards, were clean and we had a great view of the canal.

The staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful - for example, breakfast is included in the room price, but when we went down to the dining area, we found it was a typically tourist menu - fake scrambled eggs, mostly breads and pastries and really, we didnt find it that appetizing, so we left. The hostess asked us why we were leaving and we told her we were not impressed with the selection. We subsequently went out to one of the many cafes that were just around the corner from the hotel and had great real fried eggs, crisp bacon, toast and wonderful coffee. After a full day of exploring the city, we stopped into the hotel bar for a nightcap. The bartender was the hostess from the morning, and she gave us a couple of glasses of wine on the house to make up for our breakfasts!

As well, the concierge was very helpful in booking a taxi for us to get to our cruise ship.

Sadly, the wifi was down the whole time we were there, and no one really seemed to be able to figure out the problem.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cross2bear
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this hotel with two friends this August, one of whom has already reviewed this hotel. This would have been an excellent destination but for the service. I found myself mediating between my friends and two receptionist, who were, quite frankly, telling them off for questioning why they had been given a double bed... our friends are both women, one is married (her husband couldn't join us ur to having to work)... It should be noted that my wife and I were given a twin room, whereas we requested a double. It transpires that the double room is even smaller than the twin. When these issues were presented, in a very diplomatic manner, to the manageress she couldn't have been more helpful. The damage, however, was done and I wouldn't return to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the Eden Hotel for several days on july 2012. Our room was clean and quite big .The breakfast provided a menu with many different things even fresh vegetables and fruit it was really tasty.The location is superb !!
There is near by the Hermitage Museum it is a must, and of course Rembrandt's House. Amsterdam offers many attractions that are within walking distance from the hotel. Next november we are staying there again.

Room Tip: There are rooms with view on the Amstel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple