“Never again..”

Ranked #316 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Never again..”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Where do I start.. We already knew the stairs were "unique" and could be a challenge so no grips about that. We arrived at 1pm which was an hour earlier than the official check in time. Thought we would take our chances and ask if we could check in. Awesome. Managed to check in an hour early. After having taken an early red eye flight and keen to explore the city, thought a quick shower might wake us up. Called reception for some towels which we noticed were missing. Sorry no towels are available because we checked in an hour early and they were still washing it?! Wouldn't accept that for an answer and asked two more times only to have the towels delivered 20 minutes later. Shower door broken, shower handle spraying water everywhere (although they did fix it after telling them so), toilet seat broken. Had asked for a double bed since I was traveling with the wife and received TWO singles placed at different ends of the room. The room we had was facing the road so the noise was simply incredible even with it closed. What more can I say? Unless you're 15 and into the back packing style of traveling, I would stay away. Location was good but can't make up for the rest of the things that weren't so good. We found that finding a good accommodation (although you do spend most of your time out) does impact the experience one has in the city. So if anything, never again.. and I don't think this place was CHEAP either but I guess it was because of the area.

Room Tip: NONE! Safer not to stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doo77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I was a single traveler so my room was small with a single bed, but is was fine as a place to sleep, my shower room was clean and everything worked fine, I had a fridge and two safety deposit boxes so all my valuables, money, passport etc were safe, breakfast was basic but satisfactory for my needs.

I will only give you one warning, the stairs are very steep and there is no lift, if you have any mobility issues, do not stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I understand this is Europe. But the price was ridiculous! You couldn't bare being in the room as it was so noisy. There wasn't any room to get around the beds the TV didn't work. If you shut the window to rest your ears it got so stuffy in there that you couldn't breath. I wore earplugs and still could hear the chaos of the street. I was miserable the hole trip. Ruined my honeymoon. Made a big mistake booking this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Langley
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Location is great...that's about it for good stuff. Not real clean...rock climbers stairs..but that's the way the old buildings were built. Room real small and fridge didn't work. We didn't mind the stairs but have trouble with musty and dirty. Is located near everythine and reasonably quiet. The main fellow in reception had the personality of a tapeworm. Other staff fine.

Room Tip: There aren't any
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel was not anywhere close to being worth the price we paid. First off, you have to climb a looooong flight of stairs just to get to the reception area. If you have heavy luggage, you need the strength of a weightlifter to carry them up. Next, the room was so small and old, we did not have much space to move around with our luggage lying around. With a small room, imagine how much smaller the bathrooms are ! The room was not air-conditioned. Fortunately, there was a cool breeze so we opened our windows at night. The only saving grace of this hotel for us was that it was just a 10-minute walk to the Anne Frank house which served us well as we wanted to come early before the tourist hordes arrived. I would return to this hotel only if they dropped their price to 1/4 of what we got billed for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tonbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I will say this hotel will only be suitable for a young group, if you're a couple, it's not romantic, if you're a family, not suitable for children, anyone with a disability or has a current injury, I'd say definitely no, mainly because there is a lot of steep stairs throughout the hotel and the windows are huge and when opened, there's a long drop if anyone was to fall out, extremely dangerous, so if anyone who is to have a good time, please be careful and check the surroundings of this place. The health and safety is an issue with this hotel. Our ceiling was very old and falling apart, very dirty floor, so dirty it needs replacing. The private shower room, constantly had a lingering smell and the main walls had random burn marks, screws sticking out, open wires and need taking care of. Best bits would be there is a fridge in the room to keep your drinks cold or if you buy any cheese and the beds are comfortable. There was no instructions or anything, we only knew about the wifi and breakfast. And the breakfast, is a joke, only one type of meat, one type of cheese, bread to make your own toast, boiled eggs (which you have to take the shells off), some cereal and orange juice, but because the hotel is such a great location, there's plenty of little cafes near by, but research as some are really expensive for what they're asking. Sleeping wasn't too bad, but if you're sensitive to noise, this will be unsuitable and it does get hot, so either window open or use a fan supplied. Even though most staff were friendly, the cleaners made you feel unwelcome and didn't listen, this hotel needs "do not disturb" cards, because you may get a rude awakening, saying they want to clean up, especially the day when you're due to check out. Three times in a space of 30 mins "knock knock, hello?" We all said we will be leaving at 11am. It's as if they're trying to throw us out. Besides the after first night, they didn't even come back to tidy up. Also there is a safe, but they don't work, so be aware of your valuables. Overall this place does need refurbishment and a few updates. When checking out, we were told that they will look after our bags in the gift shop downstairs, which we went, as we went to put them down, the man in the shop said "it's €2 per bag". We were not told this at the reception desk or either the day I asked about it. Either he was trying to con us or no communication between staff, personally I think he was trying to con us, maybe it's because we are young I don't know, but only because there was a couple in front of us and he didn't ask money from them, not to worry, we didn't pay him anyway. I have been to many hotels from 1-5 stars. Considering this is 2 star, it should be 1, because the 1 star hotel I once went to was clean and had a better breakfast choice. If you want a great location, as it is a 4 min walk to the Anne Frank House, 5 min walk to Madame Tussaud's, lots of shops close by, great view of the canals and scenery, this is the place.

Room Tip: If you got the money, go four or five stars. For some who haven't, maybe at the time, please re...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends