“Great location, comfortable room, service could be better”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Amsterdam
Ranked #52 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great location, comfortable room, service could be better”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson Blu for 5 days in September, 2013. The location is wonderful and our room was large and clean, although it wasn't fancy and could use a refresh. We had a junior suite which included breakfast and the mini-bar. Breakfast was lovely and included a buffet with a large selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, pastries, and juices. They also have oatmeal, omelets, eggs, sausages, and sliced meats. The staff was generally friendly, although the concierge service was poor and we had to really push for assistance on two occasions. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were nice. They offer free Wi-Fi which worked well.

Our room was on the second floor. It faced the street and there was some noise when revelers would go by, but it wasn’t too bad and we enjoyed the view of the street and the light. If you’re a light sleeper, you may want to request a room on an upper floor or a room that doesn’t face the street. With the exception of the concierge service, our stay was comfortable and the location can’t be beat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel has a great location, walking distance to many things. It's very clean, and the staff is helpful and polite. Our room was a nice size, but the bed was not comfortable at all. I requested a mattress topper, which made it a little better. There are no robes in the room, and the are pretty stingy with coffee, tea, even sugar, although they did leave extra when I managed to catch them and ask. You also only get one bar of soap, although a minor detail... You usually get one for the sink, and one for the shower. The breakfast is adequate, though expensive. Much cheaper to eat outside of the hotel. The bathroom is a nice size, and updated with granite, etc. The blow dryer looked like it was 50 years old, and would take me about an hour to dry my hair, had I used it. A plug is provided for you to bring your own, and I suggest you do.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlestown
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were very happy with our stay. Easy check in. Centrally located. Staff very accommodating. Rooms were amazing. Very spacious and comfortable beds. Breakfast buffet very nice. In a safe area and not too close to Red Light District. We were able to walk everywhere from here. We would definately stay here again if we came back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daydreamisle
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Check in was exceptional, and apart from one gruff concierge every member of the team were exceptional and had a great sense of humour. The room was divine with comfortable beds and a beautiful chair! The restaurant catered extremely well for my gluten and dairy intolerances and the food was very nice. The foyer with its glass roof joining two older buildings was unique and created a light filled lovely space to sit.
This hotel has an excellent location, so close to beautiful restaurants and coffee shops, and very close to tram connections which enabled us to explore. highly recommended!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Twomarys
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 28, 2013

When I made the booking at a "Raddison Blu", I expected top-notch service and an exceptional experience.
To my surprise, I didn't find this hotel up to my standards of a 5-star worldwide chain.
For the first time in my life and after touring 15 countries, I had to take my luggage to my room without any offer of help. The rooms are small, and there were no complimentary water bottles!

When I needed a phone charger in my room for 30 minutes only as I was packing my bag, they refused to bring me one to the room even though I expressed the lack of time to go downstairs and leave my phone. They do not go out of their way to fulfill their customers' requests and that's a big turn-off for a frequent traveler like myself.

Breakfast is priced at 35 euros, which is insanely expensive for the limited options they have. You can go to the nearest "regular" cafe and get a pastry and coffee for 5 euros and you're all set for the day.

Other than location, this hotel is not worth my money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GlobeTrekkerFromDC
USA
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed in this hotel after a previous reservation with another place was cancelled. We were very pleased with the stay. The hotel was in a great, central location and had a nice breakfast buffet and amenities. Their service was very helpful (but not overly friendly). Very easy check-in and check-out procedures, although we did have to wait 30 minutes longer to check-in than expected. The real benefit to this place is that it is right in the center of town, but in a nice, safe area and not in the heart of the Red Light District. Very glad I stayed there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Rooms were clean and neat. Service was friendly as you'd expect in a radisson.there was a problem checking in when we first arrived due to the computers being down but we were offered complimentary drinks for our wait.
Everything is in easy walking distance. Great hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business