“The best part of my holiday was staying at the Banks Mansion”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Banks Mansion

Banks Mansion
Ranked #12 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“The best part of my holiday was staying at the Banks Mansion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2007

Staying at the Banks Mansion was fabulous. When we arrived we were taken to our room, 406, by Pamela, who was so nice throughout our stay. When she opened the door we were overwhelmed by how beautiful the room was. The main room was huge with a large sofa and two armchairs with footstools. There was a widescreen tv and dvd player. The bathroom was divine with a jacuzzi bath and walk-in shower and two sinks. The bedroom, yes seperate bedroom had the biggest bed I have ever seen. When we lay on the bed together and stretched out we did not touch each other. There were 4 windows which overlooked everywhere. The room was so nice we did not even want to go out.

It is true the drinks are all complimentary. There is only a small sample of drinks in your room, but downstairs there is a larger variety. Just go and help yourself. There is also snacks and sweets to pig out on all day.

Unfortunately, breakfast was not so great. It was just okay. There was not a lot of variety and it was not very tasty. Maybe I am just being fussy.

This hotel was in the middle of everything. We did not really need the tram or train tickets because we walked almost everywhere, even late at night.

Even though most of the days were sunny, it was always cold, particularly in the shade, and freezing at night. Forget sandals and shorts. Bring comfortable shoes. Forget the party clothes, most people dress casual and comfortable and warm.

When you get to the airport, do take the connexions bus return fare for 19.50 euros.The bus will stop about 50m away from the front door. The hotel staff will confirm your return for you, this time the bus will stop right outside. You do not need to buy any maps because everywhere you go someone will give you a map.

The best piece of advice I took prior to arriving in Amsterdam was to buy my tickets for Van Gogh museum online, the queue was enormous and we felt quite smug when we just walked straight to the front.

If you are going to Amsterdam you will not regret staying at the Banks Mansion.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank HollowayLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel for five days and let me tell you that this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at in my life. This is in my opinion a near five star hotel in a wonderful location with a very friendly staff. I arrived very early due to my flight from the USA and the staff had my room ready within one hour. The staff, like most everyone in Amsterdam is multilingual and everyone at the front desk especially spoke English well. The hotel has a sort of modern feel and all drinks in the lobby (beer, water, juice, coffee, espresso, etc.) are free. There is free internet access in the lobby via two desktop computers. There is a free breakfast which includes fresh bread, cheese, fish, eggs, meats and more. The hotel has a modern feel and this extends to the rooms. My room was large for a European room and it had a view of a canal. The bed was the most confortable bed I have ever slept in ever, a temperedic mattress with matching pillows. I had a nice sized bathroom with huge stand up glass shower. The room was not the cheapest but I went during Queens day and there where far more expensive hotels including the Jolly Carlton which is right across the street. This hotel is located in the middle of everything, directly across from the flower market, 5 minutes walking from clubs and a huge shopping district, 20 minutes walking to the red light, and like 25 minute walk to central station, a tram line also passes directly in front of the hotel and it is a 5 minute walk to the stop which from there will take you anywhere in the city. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The friendly staff, great location, room.
  • Disliked — The price, but you get more than what you pay for.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank cjwintter
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

The hotel was brilliant - great rooms, perfect location and very attentive staff. The free bar facilities in the living room area were ideal for when you want to relax but not just sit in your room. Walking distance to all of the main attractions and metro station. Excellent breakfasts that set you up for the day - made to order pancakes, omelettes or french toast as well as continental breakfast. Overall a very good experience, looking forward to going back!!!

Stayed May 2007
2 Thank frogandbear
Breckenridge, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2007

We recently returned from a 3 night stay at Banks Mansion. I couldn't
fault a thing.

We arrived a bit early, and our room wasn't quite ready. The staff at
the front desk were friendly, helpful and capable. We were invited to
sit in the lobby and enjoy a snack and drink while waiting. Within 10
minutes we were invited upstairs.

Our third floor room overlooked the canal. The room was immaculate, and the amenities were wonderful (bathrobes, slippers, room safe, fresh fruit, free mini-bar, decanters of gin & whiskey & congnac). The bed was great, and the hotel is remarkably quiet. The bathroom was fine (shower but no bathtub). All in all, an exceptionally comfortable room.

The breakfast room is on the lower level of the hotel. The breakfast
buffet was comprehensive, and could be supplemented by made-to-order eggs, pancakes, omelets, or French toast. I had a wonderful omelet one morning. Again, the service was great.

Free drinks of all sorts were always available in the lobby. This included wines, beers, sodas, and even liquers. The hotel is very well located to allow walking to all the major sites in Amsterdam. We never felt the need to take a tram. It was wonderful to be able to stop in the midst of sightseeing for a cold drink and a snack. The staff at the desk provided a very good street map, and were unfailingly polite when we needed replacements, having twice lost ours.

The lobby has 2 internet workstations, which I had no trouble accessing whenver I needed. It's a great help to check in and print boarding passes before going to the airport. The hotel will arrange a shuttle to the airport for 24 euros, which worked out well for us--we turned out to be the only 2 passengers, so it was like having our own taxi but cheaper.

Do yourself a favor and have an Indonesian dinner at Tempo Doeloe, Utrechtestraat 75. Try a "rice platter" which includes portions of 18 different dishes. It was among the best meals I have ever had.

We've been back in CT for a week and I wish I was in Amsterdam!

• Liked — service and amenities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Geraldine S
Bethesda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2007

I stayed for two nights at the Banks Mansion in late April 2007. I made my reservation directly with the hotel; first good sign - the staff promptly (within a few hours) responded to my e-mail reservation inquiry. From the moment I walked in the door, until the moment I checked out, it was a terrific experience. The staff, ESPECIALLY the front desk staff, were super friendly, helpful, and patient with all my tourist questions. The included breakfast buffet provided tasty, ample selections (sandwich meats, cheeses, omelets, cereals, breads, etc.) from which to energize ones' self at least through lunchtime. My canal-view room was clean, modern, and quiet. The bed was a deliciously comfortable respite from a long day of sightseeing, stocked with 4 plush pillows; goes without saying that I slept VERY WELL!!! Bonuses ranged from an in-room refrigerator stocked with various beverages (included), to individually regulated and responsive air conditioning in the room, to free internet access and daytime snacks/drinks in the lobby. The hotel is centrally located to tourist attractions (many can be reached within 20 minutes' walking time), and a tram line runs right past the hotel which takes you to points north and south in the city. If and when I ever go back to Amsterdam, I already know where I will stay. Great place. Now I know why Banks Mansion is so highly rated by other travelers. I couldn't agree more. Thank you, Banks Mansion, for contributing to my overall delightful and successful visit to Amsterdam!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — I honestly have nothing negative to share
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Rhynette
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

Went to the Banks Mansion for two nights in April. Went with my brother so we booked two rooms. Hotel looks great from the outside but extremely disappointing inside. It looks as though it has been designed with the cheapest of everything possible. It is certainly not a boutique hotel and infact nothing more than a rather poor bed and breakfast.

My room was at the back of the hotel. Woodchip celings and two very small windows that I hd to stand on my tip toes to see out. The furniture in the rooms is of chipboard quality and the complimentary mini bar - well laughable. They advertise that all your drinks are free, yes they are if you want to drink cheap Cava, cheap white wine and cheap red wine. You cannot get spirits in the downstairs bar!

The staff are very abrupt and the breakfast room is in the basement of the hotel and is reminiscent of a school lunch room. There is no restaurant facilities in the hotel at other times. I would not recommend it to couples for a romantic weekend - it isn't romantic. I think they have some clever marketing but surely they cannot continue to kid everyone all the time.

It may be good value if you can drink 48 bottles of beer a day - I sadly couldn't!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everyting
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank gazborangers
Pattaya, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

My husband and I just returned from 3 days in Amsterdam, staying at the Banks Mansion. What a lovely hotel in a very convenient Amsterdam location! The Banks Mansion is a high quality, smaller hotel (48 rooms) that offers exceptional service and accomodations and is in a great, central location. We paid extra for a 'canal view' room and were not disappointed. The room was very nicely appointed with flat screen TV, large comfortable bed (two twins together), fully stocked bar and beverages (complimentary in our room - not sure if this is available in all rooms). The hotel offers only breakfast service, which is an excellent hot/cold buffet with made to order eggs/omelettes, pancakes, and french toast. The hotel lobby stocks beverages and snacks available to all hotel guests 24 hours a day. The hotel staff is very helpful, suggesting and making restaurant reservations, airport shuttle, etc. The hotel is located within one block of Rembrandt Plein, Munt Plein, and Singel Flower Market. The Museum District and Waterloo Plein are 10 to 15 minutes walk. The hotel is approximately a 25 minute walk from Central Station (depending upon 'crowd' level).
I would definately recommend this hotel -- we certainly plan on staying there again on our next trip to Amsterdam.

• Liked — Luxury, personalized service
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple