“Service you can bank on”
Review of Banks Mansion

Banks Mansion
Ranked #8 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at Banks Mansion in April 2014. We found the position of the hotel to be excellent - we were in easy walking distance to the Rijksmuseum and Museum Plein as well as to Dam square. A tram stop a very short distance away gave us full access to the whole city too.

The staff, without exception, gave excellent service and at all times made us feel as if meeting our needs was the only important thing that they had to do at the time. My husband was ill for a short period and nothing was too much trouble for them. Whatever we asked for was provided to us. Their restaurant recommendations were also spot on to our requirements.

The service is all inclusive. This means that we were able to help ourselves to tea, coffee, soft drinks, spirits, biscuits, etc in the lounge at any time of the day or night. At 4pm they serve a selection of wines and champagne and at 5pm they bring a selection of meats, cheeses, olives, etc to accompany the wine tasting. This made us really feel as though we were in a private home rather than a hotel trying to extract as much money from its patrons as possible. All drinks, both soft and spirits in our room were included too.

The free wi-if all through the hotel was also most appreciated and breakfasts had a full range of options including omelettes, etc cooked to order.

Whilst the rates may appear on the higher side, once you factor in the extras, we found Banks Mansion to be excellent value and would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: We requested a canal view room which was noisy, but not so terrible that we couldn't sleep. In...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AKA-Rose
Esther B, General Manager at Banks Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing this wonderful review and for pointing out that the staff made the difference for you. We would love to everybody experience our service, so it is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed it so much.

We would of course love to welcome you again in the future. To make sure you will receive the best personal service and best available rate please book via our own website.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I shared my great experience at Banks Mansion hotel for 4 days and 3 nights. It was so amazing. The hotel was old-fashioned, historic and classic with light paint and luxury design. My room was spacious, warm with first class furniture and beautiful view. Although the bathroom was designed by white ceramic, it looked cold and little bit scary, but it was acceptable and clean.The hotel were also friendly, helpful and pleasant. I was very satisfied.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing this review. It is a great pleasure to read that you found your stay amazing and found it a great experience.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed here in the second week of April 2014 with my wife and parents and had an extremely pleasurable stay
1) the rooms are fantastic, comfortable luxurious and well sized
2) the location of the hotel is perfect. Central and next to a beautiful canal
3) the lobby area withe the wine and cheese in the evening is a great place to hang out, relax and socialize
4) the breakfasts are fabulous..not the standard run of the mill cereal and breads.. But with an omelette station

And the most fantastic thing... The staff of the hotel... I cannot appreciate enough their efficiency, willingness to help and pleasant demeanor.
Each of the staff members went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable; whether it was anything we needed in the room, calling a taxi or helping plan our day activities. I could tell that the staff was truly committed to making the guests as comfortable as possible...and to top it all they're all very smart and efficient....

Jacqueline , Willem and Laura in particular were super helpful..have not come across better professionals than them...Thanks a lot for making our stay comfortable... I look forward to retuning some day...
Cheers!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Wauw! “Look no further!!! It doesn't get any better” what a great way to start your review. We are honored.

We are also looking forward to your return in the future. To make sure you will receive the best personal service and best available rate please book via our own website.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

My sister and I had a very pleasant stay at this well located hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is close to many of Amsterdam's attractions and to the tram stop. It was a good central location for exploring other cities in the Netherlands.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for this review. It is a pleasure to read that you and your sister had a very pleasant stay. Hopefully we can achieve a 5-star stay for a possible future stay.

We of course would love to welcome you again in our hotel. Please book via our own website for the best personal service and best available rate.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here the first week in April. The hotel is fantastic. We loved it. The front desk people are very helpful and friendly. The breakfast is delicious . The wine and cheese in the afternoon was a great ending to a busy day sightseeing. The hotel is centrally located . We walked everywhere . Glad we stayed here!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ria4917

Dear guest,

We are also glad that you have stayed with us! Thank you for this wonderful review.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel whilst visiting Amsterdam. Excellent staff, breakfast and 'free' bar and room mini-bar. Five minute walk from 'Dam Square and Rembrandt Square and central to everything else. Only thing I would say is try and get a room which does not overlook the main street as it can be a little noisy into the late hours at weekends.This is where I will stay if I return to Amsterdam in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this great review!

Reviewed May 2, 2014

My feelings about this hotel started positively before I even arrived! I got an email from Kirsten the morning I was to leave, to inform me that because it is Kings' Day on the day of my arrival, the streets might be closed. She gave me a couple of options. I responded back with another question, and she responded back quickly.

Fortunately, the streets were just being shut off, but not all of them, and I was able to get to the hotel about 10 mins before the main streets around the hotel were closed off.

I changed, went back outside, then returned around 1p. To my surprise, my room was ready. Not only that, I didn't even have to ask - they just remembered and checked for me.

I got a little tour by Felicia (wonderful name/also mine!) where she showed me the complimentary beer, sodas, water and various liquors, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. This is also where they have wine in the afternoons, and cheese, sausages (excellent both!) and crackers and grapes. In the morning, before the dining room opens, they have complimentary croissants as well.

My room was really nice and large by European standards. Perfect for one or two people even. I do suggest more hangers if there are two people, because there were just enough for me as a single. I think if you were to ask, they would definitely give you more!

No tub (but they're always too small in Europe anyway!) I had room 201, which overlooked the canal. Nice. The air conditioner worked GREAT! It was quiet, cooled off the room quickly.

My only negative about the room was the bathroom, but I am a self-admitted snob about bathrooms. The sink doesn't have much room for things, and everything kept falling to the floor. But the shower ~ ugh. I am probably alone in this, but I do not like rain shower nozzles. There's no escape from the water on your head, unless you move to the side, but then you're out of the warmth. There was a hand held shower, but those are difficult to maneuver if you want to wash your hair and keep the water on you to keep you warm. Also, the temperature would jump from normal to scalding by itself.

There is a small fridge in the room, with (again) complimentary beverages and a single snack of raisins and nuts, replenished daily. There is also gin, whiskey and cognac.

Breakfasts were good. I ate there twice. Plenty to choose from: cold cuts, cheese, breads, coleslaw, tomatoes, an omelet station, and more. Great tasting coffee. Service was good here as well. They aren't open at lunch or dinner, but I did hear that there are a few restaurants they can call and have food delivered for you. Also, you can get room service for I think 5 euros; however, in the dining room it's free.

They had this sliced turkey with green flecks in it that I cautiously tried....it was really good! I think the green flecks were onions. The next day I could not wait to get back for the green flecked-turkey and sadly, they didn't have it out that day. I bet, knowing this hotel, if I'd asked for it, they'd have rounded me up some!

The location is perfect. There are two tram stops within a 2 minute walk. #16 and #24. Both go to Centraal Station. You can buy your tickets for the tram at the front desk. Also, they sell tickets for various museums, so you can skip the line at the museums.

I know it's a cliche to say I felt like family at a hotel, but I really did! Everyone at the front desk remembered me. No one made me feel idiotic about not being able to read a map. I was a little confused about the tram situation, but this was explained thoroughly and patiently. All wake up calls came right on time. When I requested the name of a sausage, the guy I spoke to not only gave me the name, but also voluntarily looked for their website.

The hotel is spotlessly clean, including the rooms (and I'm a bit picky about a clean hotel room!) The bed was very comfortable and you can choose the type of pillow you want.

Would I stay here again? Even though the bathroom was not the most favorable, who cares. The rest of the hotel was absolutely wonderful and by all means, I would stay here again! Darn, now I want to return to Amsterdam JUST to stay at the Banks Mansion!

Room Tip: Room 201 that overlooked the canal was also near the street; however, I never heard any noise from b...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Felicia D

Dear guest,

What a beautiful title to start a review with: "Wish there could be a 6-star option".

Thank you very much for this kind en wonderful review and the warm greetings from your namesake. She agreed it started to feel like family.