“Supreme!”
Review of Banks Mansion

Banks Mansion
Ranked #8 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed in a Deluxe Room at Banks Mansion for four nights in March 2011. My room was immaculate on arrival and was kept to a high standard of cleanliness by the housekeepers throughout my stay. It was very cosy and had plenty of storage areas for my belongings. When I booked my accommodation, I noticed that it had a shower instead of a bath. I prefer a bath to a shower so I was a bit unsure of my choice, but the shower turned out to be luxurious with plenty of space and a drench option which was perfect for relaxing under after a busy day of sightseeing. The furnishings in both my room and the communal areas were elegant with a stylish, rich colour scheme. My room was ideal for a peaceful night’s sleep – the bed was extremely comfortable and there was virtually no noise from the other guests or the busy street outside. There was a well-stocked complimentary mini-bar and the refrigerator came in handy to keep my own snacks fresh. In addition, there was a complimentary self-service bar in the lounge with a wide range of alcoholic and soft drinks.

The hotel is located in the picturesque Canal Loop and, as the city centre is so easy to get around on foot, it is ideally situated with plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

Because I was sightseeing for most of the time, I only ate three times in the hotel. My first meal was a delicious breakfast of cheese, cold meat, crusty bread, pain au chocolat, a croissant, Rice Krispies and orange juice delivered to my room on my first morning which set me up for the day! I also enjoyed two evening meals of tomato soup and vegetable lasagne via room service – both were very tasty!

I found all members of staff who I dealt with to be extremely friendly, polite and helpful, especially one of the receptionists who gave me travel advice on how to get to and from Amsterdam ArenA.

The best things about the hotel were its charm, class and hospitality, and the worst thing? Leaving it behind, of course!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,871)

Reviewed March 18, 2011

We recently stayed here for three nights and chose this particular hotel on the strength of the reviews we found on tripadvisor. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and can fully endorse the other good reviews that have gone before. There were a couple of minor niggles which I will come to and we also had a feature in our room that, strangely, is not mentioned anywhere on the hotel's web site and is also not mentioned in any of the last 45 reviews on here. I'll also come to that later.

On arrival, we were greeted by some very friendly and pleasant reception staff who explained where everything was and how everything worked (for example, the free bar area, the internet computers and so on). We were then shown the way to the breakfast room. Breakfast is also included in the price.

Our room was well furnished, if a little on the small side. The bed was one of the best I have slept in for a long, long time and the pillows on the bed were, without doubt, the best quality I have ever encountered in a hotel - and I've certainly stayed in quite a few!! You even had the option of requesting more, or different, pillows from something called the ‘pillow menu’! I kid you not! The large flat screen TV is also equipped with a DVD player and the hotel has a range of DVDs you can borrow for no additional cost. On top of this, the TV has about 30+ channels, including BBC1 & 2, various film channels and, apparently, two 'adult' channels of the type you most certainly will not encounter in the UK - or so I am told! All free!

The bathroom was small, but clean with a full size glass enclosed shower cubicle. Now, here's the unusual feature that has not been mentioned by any previous reviewer. Our shower cubicle doubled up as a personal steam room. It had a stone seat and an electronic button on the wall which turned on the steam. It worked really well - easily as good as you will find in a professional spa. That was something I have never encountered in a hotel room before and which was an interesting find.

The niggles I mentioned above mainly relate to the bathroom. After using the shower, no matter how careful you were, a large amount of water seeped out under the shower door and across the bathroom floor where it lay for hours before drying up. We mentioned this to the front desk who promised to look at it but nothing at all was done about it. It really was a nuisance throughout our time there. On arrival, I discovered that my flimsy plastic glass on the sink was already broken in several places before I had even unwrapped it. I put it in the bin but it was never replaced. Likewise, the second plastic glass broke on day two and was thrown away. That, also, was never replaced. We used up the shampoo and shower gel on the first day. Neither was replaced on the second day, forcing us to use our own toiletries. Fortunately, they were replaced on the third day.

The room minibar contained one solitary can of beer (and no other alcohol), which, when drunk on the first day was... you've guessed it, not replaced the next day! But this was not a big problem as there are half-full spirit decanters in the room and the hotel also didn't mind you taking drinks to your room from the bar downstairs - as long as it was not past midnight as we discovered on coming back in on our last night at about 12.05am. We got a seriously frosty glare from the man on reception who came round to see what we were doing. He didn't say a word but it was clear from the look on his face that he was not at all happy at us taking a couple of beers from his freshly-stocked fridge!

Breakfast was good but nothing to write home about, despite the hyperbole on the hotel's web site! There is a chef who cooks eggs 'live' (according to the web site). That was much nicer than having to select them from a hot buffet.

Was it value for money, bearing in mind the hotel is more expensive than most others in the same category? Overall, I think it was and I would certainly stay here again as we did like the hotel very much. Although it cost more than others, when you factored in the cost you would have had to pay elsewhere for two breakfasts each day and unlimited drinks (at typical hotel prices) you certainly break even.

Finally, I see some reviews mention traffic noise. We had a second floor room overlooking the road outside. The double glazing was so good that we had no traffic noise whatsoever. The room was nice and quiet at all times.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Hotel is in a great location for touring central Amsterdam. Staff was very freindly and check in was a breeze. It's nice that the hotel includes drinks, breakfast, and evening snacks in the price. Internet in the lobby on there computers is included, but they only include 50 minutes per day wireless access. For this price range rooms are small (even for Europe), but well appointed. My main complaint would be there was quite a bit of noise both from the road and other guests rooms. If I got a good rate I would return to this hotel, but the "inclusive" stuff probably doesn't make up for the increased cost compared to other hotels.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed here while my husband was attending a conference at the RAI center which Tram 4 runs to right in front of the hotel. It was convenient for getting to RAI and close to Rembrandt Square, Spui, Dam Square, shopping districts and just about everything else. We paid 265 euros for an Executive Room - #306. The room was a decent size with a very comfortable king bed (2 twins), nice duvets, desk, free minibar (toblerone bars every day!), good, large breakfast (free) and snacks all day, drinks, etc. Service was ok - not top notch but they did try hard. We got to check in several hours early and they gave us a free breakfast the day we arrived. I did ask for an extra blanket one night and it took 3 calls down to the desk and over an hour to get it but it got there. The one guy at the desk I guess was new and led us in the wrong direction for a restaurant that the hotel recommended. They staff was generally very nice. We had some trouble using the 50 minute free interenet cards they gave you. Several of them did not work and we had to keep going down to the desk. Also, our room keys had a few issues. This hotel is on a fairly busy corner with trams going by, cars, people. I used my earplugs because I am a light sleeper. We had a great view of the Herengracht canal from our room. Their are 2 doors that open up for fresh air. It was very chilly while we were there. All in all a nice little hotel with good extras that are included in the price. It's in a good location close to the tram and you can walk just about everywhere. The free breakfast is really nice. You can get omlettes, eggs any type, dutch pancakes and french toast from the griddle, their is bacon & sausage everyday, good smoked salmon, lots of fresh fruit, juice, great coffee, cappucinos, teas, hot chocolate, yummy croissants, cereals, all kinds of breads, cheese, ham, yogurt and just about everything else you could want.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I booked a weekend trip to Amsterdam on Expedia and chose the Hotel Banks Mansion purely on the 4.8 rating. I read the other reviews as well. This was my third and by far best experience in Amsterdam. Believe it or not, we are not interested in the "Coffee Shops/Brown Cafes" or the Red Light Distict. We go purely for the real cultural experience. We visit a couple of museums and have the traditional Indonesian Rijsttafel. Amsterdam is an easy weekend break from London via London City Airport.
The hotel was so much more then I ever expected. The staff are friendly and welcoming. The lobby is comfortable though not vast and there are two free of charge computers to use. One had a printer. There's a self service bar and drinks counter serving coffee, tea, soft drinks and harder drinks all day and evening. There are bowls of nuts and plates of cheese and sliced sausages to go with the drinks. My husband and I would have dinner and then come back to the hotel for a nightcap in the lobby. There was a gas burning fireplace to enjoy while having your port. The room was lovely even though we had an inside view. It was quiet which in Amsterdam cannot always be assumed or possible. In our room was a free minibar with crisps, chocolate bars, hard and soft drinks. As well as glass carafes of gin, cognac and whiskey. The bathroom was big and it had a fantastic large bathtub and separate shower. The bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. The full breakfast which is also included in the room rate was excellent too. By staying at this hotel, you actually save money on all the extras that in other circumstances, we would have to purchase. Breakfast, drinks, snacks and use of the wifi/internet. All these items add up very quickly. If you are headed for a trip to Amsterdam be it business or pleasure...choose this hotel !!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I chose this hotel for the centralized location in Amsterdam, since we'd be doing alot of walking. I couldn't have chosen a better hotel. What stood out the most was the stellar service we received at all times at the hotel, especially the front desk attendant. Since it is a smaller hotel, the attendant had numerous responsibilities ranging from checking people in, greeting them, arranging taxis, taking phone calls....all of which she did with grace, professionalism and genuine caring. I wish I had got her name. Her attentiveness made all the difference for our stay, since it was our first time in Amsterdam. The hotel had free access to the lobby bar which was generously stocked with beer, wine, liquor, coffee/tea and snacks. The breakfast area, which was downstairs was spacious and the attendant there presented a wonderful breakfast every morning with a great continental selection. Our room was pretty standard, nothing fancy, but the view of the canal was great. I would definitely stay here again and again if we visit again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dexter619
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We only stayed one night but wished we had stayed for longer. The attention and service of the staff was excellent and nothing was too much trouble for them. The room was well furnished and very clean. A nice touch was the complimentary drinks in your room and also down in the lounge. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices. We will definately return and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple