“Excellent hotel, friendly staff”

Ranked #118 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Could not fault this hotel or it's friendly staff. Very well located to everything. The staff were very friendly and Dennis on the concierge desk went out of his way to help us with booking a cruise and then a taxi - nothing was too much trouble. The Urban room was quite funky and the bathroom suite clean and shower was heavenly. Would definitely staff here again. The bar in the evening was quite busy but waiter service was good and cocktails delicious!

Room Tip: The Victoria wing apparently was a little dated - we stayed in Urban wing which had been refurbished...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Dear Lucy,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Rest assured I will share your positive comments with Dennis and the rest of the team.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Write a ReviewReviews (4,084)

Reviewed April 1, 2012

The only positive thing I could find in this hotel was the location: just in front the central station that connects you to the airport with a direct train in about 20 min if I am not wrong

we arrived around 10pm and there was nobody at the entrance to open the door or greet. The clerk at the reception advised that unfortunately there was no bellboy at this time to help us with the luggage. The corridors and the rooms are terribly tired.

The buffet breakfast was good but one morning there was a mouse walking around the breakfast restaurant and the staff was trying to chase him but after a while they gave up and started making fun of this "irrealistic" situation...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Viaggiare
1  Thank pballi
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear pballi,
I am sorry to read of your dissatisfaction in relation to your stay but please bear in mind that we do not provide around the clock baggage handlers and obviously the later you arrive, the more you can expect less staff to be on duty, which of course is perfectly normal in a four star hotel.
With regard to our concierge service however, we are overwhelmed with compliments about the friendly and efficient way they go about their duties so in this respect, you seem to hold a minority view. You only have to examine more broadly the comments on this site to see what the majority of people think on the subject of our porters - or bell-boys, as you rather quaintly refer to them.
You also remark upon the corridors and rooms looking “tired” but you do not specify where and why and it is therefore impossible to elaborate upon this further but after extensive renovation to many of the rooms and hallways, this is something that I am afraid is very difficult to relate to.
And with regard to the mouse in the house dining with our guests, this is indeed an occurrence that is impossible to completely resolve. The vast majority of listed buildings in this beautiful city of ours suffer with mouse problems or one sort or another. The only way that mice will completely disappear is if ironically the building did too and I am quite sure nobody would recommend this course of action!
In the meantime, we do everything in our power to reduce their numbers by employing environmentally friendly detection methods, which avoid cruelty to the animals and ensure safety to us humans but given the age of this historically significant city, it really would be unrealistic to assume there would be a completely mouse-free zone here in Amsterdam any time soon I’m afraid. Our apologies nonetheless for any inconvenience caused.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best wishes

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Great hotel and an easy walk from the station, even with luggage. Our room was on the first floor facing away from the station, so was lovely and quiet. The room was well equipped although I did have to ask for milk to make a cup of tea - how english! The swimming pool was a plus after a hard day of sight seeing. The room was very clean and the staff efficient and friendly.

My only critisism would be the cost of the breakfast (which they heavily advertise in the hotel). At E24 per person I didn't think it justified the cost particularly when there are so many eateries just a stone's throw from the hotel, all of which were superb.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Helena C

Dear Helena,
Thank you for your comments; I am delighted that you found the hotel suited to your needs. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best wishes,

Reviewed March 28, 2012

I stayed last friday and saturday at the park plaza victoria and I am satisfied with my stay at the hotel. The hotelstaff were very friendly. Especially the Concierge staff and the night staff.
It was my first time in amsterdam, and I didn't know what are the best places to go out. The guy who was working at night recommanded me a very good club, and he arranged a guestlist for me for free entrance :D , I was very happy with that. I will definetily come here next time.

Best Regards

N. McCartey

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Dear Nelly, Thank you so much for your comments; I am delighted that you found the hotel suited to your needs, and our team friendly and helpful. The Concierge Staff and Night Crew were thrilled about your awesome feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best wishes

Reviewed March 27, 2012

wonderful location with very comfortable rooms and fabulous staff especially the concierge! asked for and got a complimentry upgrade to executive suite with king size bed! only criticism was that the service in the brasserie was poor!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Dear Ulsterwolf,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the hotel. It is comments like these that enable us to motivate our team to achieve greater heights. I do sincere apologize the service in the Brasserie was not what you expected. Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back. Best wishes

Reviewed March 27, 2012

For my 40th, my wife booked a couple nights stay at this hotel. We arrived only to be told that they were fully booked but we could stay at their sister hotel, upgraded to a suite and the taxi paid for. They also gave us the option of coming back the next day and staying in the suite we were supposed to be in, again no taxi expense. Much to our dismay we agreed to this, knowing that something was amiss as we were being driven further outside of the city and the taxi driver said it was another 10-15 minutes away! We asked the driver to stop and to get in touch with the hotel and to tell them we were not happy. After returing to the hotel we explained that it wasn't good enough as we had spent more time in the taxi than we did on the train from the airport! The reception staff seemed to be put out by all of this and not once we were offered an apology, even after checking out. They soon found a room but it wasn't the suite we paid for but the suite was available the next day, which we moved to without hesitation as the level of hygiene in the room was disgraceful. Outside the room, smelt as if someone had defacted and the smell inside was atrocious and the carpet hadn't been introduced to a hoover in sometime as there was a nail clipping next to the bed, nice. Once we moved to the suite, we had no complaints and we have none with Amsterdam but the hotel left us with a sour taste. Reflecting back, the taxi driver said they had probably sold our room as they had one of their busiest weekends, so even he knew why we were fobbed off!

1  Thank Ryan B

Dear Ryan,
I was disappointed and distressed to read your comments about the service you received when you checked in for two day’s recently. We pride ourselves on making everyone’s stay a very memorable experience but your remarks suggest that this was certainly not the case.
What went wrong on the night in question is more difficult to ascertain without knowing all the facts but of course, after a given time, if there is no show from a guest and no advanced warning, staff are entitled to re-sell the room and perhaps this is what occurred on what was undoubtedly an exceptionally busy weekend.
I suspect that that taxi was probably transporting you to our sister hotel, in the Amsterdam suburb and I am quite sure that if you had arrived there, you would have been more than satisfied with the facilities available to you; with its state of the art décor and spacious sleeping quarters. Sadly this did not occur and when you came back to our hotel, the staff had to make impromptu contingency plans which unfortunately did not meet with your expectations.
Once again, on behalf of all of our dedicated staff here at the Victoria, may I convey my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience these events may have caused you - although it has never been our intention to exploit any situation – regardless of the opportunities perhaps to do so.
Let me re-assure you once again, (as so may of the comments on Trip Advisor will aptly testify) most of our guests are more than satisfied with the services we provide and return again and again because of our guest friendly nature and our implacable pursuit of excellence.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

The hotel was very convenient as it is right opposite to the Amsterdam Centraal station and in the middle of all Amsterdam attractions. The room is decent but though we are a couple we were provided with two single beds. The itinerary clearly mentioned 1 queen bed but we were not provided that. Also the bathroom had just shower and not a bath tub. We haven't tried the food at the hotel as it is a bit expensive.

Dear Harish P
Thank you taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the hotel.
I am delighted that you found the hotel suited to your needs. It seems you have stayed in one of our recent renovated ‘Urban” rooms. All those rooms have a walk in shower with a powerful massage shower head! If you prefer a room with a bath tub I would advise to reserve a room in our ‘Victoria’ wing. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best wishes,