$329
Agoda.com
The Toren(Amsterdam)
$364
4,172 results
All reviewsurban wingcentral stationgreat locationexecutive rooman upgradered light districtmini barconciergetraincanalbrasseriedamraksaunaeurosminibareurope
Reviewed December 6, 2011

The hotel is the first thing you see as you emerge from the Central Station so it's conveniently located for the canal hop-on hop-off water bus and the trams as well being at one end of Amsterdam's main shopping street. Take extreme care crossing the street. The cyclists don't take prisoners!

The main bar, near Reception, was only open from 17:00 to 01:00 during our stay. The other bar, next door to the Brasserie, was open intermittently but you can order a drink in the Brasserie itself.

My experience of the hotel was that the bar, concierge and Brasserie staff were truly excellent. Housekeeping left a lot to be desired though.

In the evening the Brasserie is set up for two different types of service. The tables in the area by the windows are set out with linen tablecloths, silverware and an array of glasses. If you sit here they give you the dinner menu - not extensive but the dishes we had were very good. In the darker section of the Brasserie the seating is more casual as is the menu. This is the place to have breakfast. On the first morning for €12.50 I had a platter with six slices of yellow cheese, a wedge of brie, two slices of ham, two slices of chicken breast and one slice of roast beef with a hard-boiled egg, a fruit yogurt, a basket of bread and croissants, orange juice (it tasted freshly squeezed) and the coffee of my choice Much better value than the buffet breakfast in the other restaurant - this I understand was €23. I ate breakfast in the Brasserie every day and although the items on the platter varied it was always excellent value for money - enough for two people unless you are very hungry.

The hotel has two sections - turn right when you enter for the Urban wing and left for the Victoria wing. The former has been newly refurbished with red and black funky decor. The latter is well past its best with brown/beige rather grubby, and in some places smelly, carpets. Our room (number 231) was quirky. You'd either love it or hate it. It was on two levels. The lower level included the bathroom and a large, but not very comfortably furnished, sitting room with the most appalling lighting I've ever experienced in a hotel. We asked one of the staff who delivered room service to send us up another lamp of some kind as we couldn't see to prepare paperwork for our conference. The lamp never materialised. We had to have the TV switched on to provide additional lighting. The room is built into the eves of one of the bits of the hotel that extend outwards from the main block. To get to the bedroom we had to climb a really steep staircase - more like a ladder really. There was no light over the staircase. I suspect this would fail a health and safety inspection in the UK. We had to position the standard lamp to illuminate the bottom of the stairs and leave it on all night in case we needed to come down to the bathroom in the dark. This meant we had light spillage upwards into the bedroom loft space. The bed was two metres wide which was very nice but there was so little space around it you had to walk sideways to get into bed whilst trying not to bump your head on the beams. There was a strange wheel with sharp spikes in the roof space over the sitting room. Lots of beams - you'd have thought they could have fixed a light to one of them. The only lighting downstairs was the ceiling lamp in the entrance hallway, a small desk lamp and the standard lamp in the corner of the room. No light over the sofa or coffee table or in the wardrobe. The sofa was hard and not at all comfortable.

When we arrived (late at night) the room was freezing. In the dark we didn't notice the low radiator under the bottom of the curtains so tried to generate heat with what turned out to be the airconditioning controls. Turning it up to 23.5 C made no difference whatsoever. Of course, we found the radiator in the morning when we opened all the curtains. You'd have thought housekeeping could have left the radiators on setting 2 or 3 rather than the snowflake setting when they made up the room. On which subject, in a six day stay our room was serviced only once without prompting. We tried taking the do-not-distrub sign off the door when we left our room around nine - the room wasn't serviced. The next day we turned the sign around to the please-clean-my-room side - the room wasn't serviced. I had been reluctant to use this sign as it was the same colour on both sides and I feared the housekeeping staff would at a quick glance think we were displaying the do-not-disturb sign. I had to ring housekeeping at around 15:00 each day to get them to service the room after we'd been out all day since around nine.

I asked for an extra duvet the first morning because we had been too cold to sleep the first night. They failed to provide one. I used one of the pillows as a cushion on the chair downstairs expecting they would provide another pillow upstairs but no such luck.

I might stay here again but only in the Urban wing and I'd go straight to the general manager over any housekeeping issues next time.

I really wanted to rate the hotel three and a half rather than three. It doesn't deserve a four.

Room Tip: If you want clean and modern ask for a room in the Urban wing. Second floor on Damrak side was quiet enough to sleep easily.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2011

Dear BlackAmber,

Thank you for your elaborate review. This really helps us maintain or improve the product and services you may expect from us.
I was dismayed to read that the housekeeping failed in a numerous of ways by not providing the service you asked for and deserve. I forwarded you message to the Housekeeping Manager to take appropriate actions.
Regarding the lightning, I have forwarded you message to our Chief Engineer to look at this matter and to place extra lightning where needed.
Also on behalf of the department heads involved, I apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered.
I am looking forward to your next stay and to meet you in person.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We ended up booking this hotel after we arrived in Amsterdam. Our room was spacious, clean, contemporary and SURPRISINGLY QUIET! This hotel is located right across from Centraal Station, but you wouldn't know it.
The staff were only too happy to help. I would definitely stay here again.
A little pricey, but hey, its vacation.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear ChuckandNeil,

Thank you for your positive words and for sharing these on Tripadvisor.
Your compliments are shared with the entire team, and we are looking forward to welcome you back to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam when your travel brings you back to the area.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Nice enough on the face of it. Lovely old building right across the road from Centraal rail station, on the corner of Damrak in Centrum. The public areas are very good but my room on the fifth floor was a bit small for a 4 star hotel. The fittings were ok: the bed reasonably comfortable, the shower good. The downstairs bar is clean, comfortable, with an attentive barman. However this bar had no French wine at all. Not a bottle –I asked him to check. Alright if you like Chilean wine, I suppose; but I don’t. Didn’t eat here so no idea about the food. The concierge and other front of house folks are great.

Real nightmare started next morning at about 0745hrs. Powercut to the building. The member of staff I spoke to said “It happens sometimes”. A powercut means no showers, no heating, no lifts. And of course no lights other than emergency lighting in the public areas. Packing in the dark is a bit tricky. The key card works, the safe works; but no lifts is serious. Some of the guests are elderly or infirm and can’t reasonably be expected to walk up several flights of stairs. The hotel, it seems, has no back up generator, even though “it happens sometimes”.

This hotel is alright; but no better than that.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank martin w
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I think all of the rooms are being updated at the moment, but unfortunately we didn't get one of the nice modern, updated clean rooms, we got one of the old rundown ones so it's a bit unfair to rate the hotel on that! The staff were great the location is great for Centraal Station - it is literally right opposite - and the price is good too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of centraal station - if you are lucky enough to be in Amsterdam when the sun shines, the view is stunning!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank elanem

Dear Elanem,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.
We are looking forward to welcome you again in one of our renovated rooms in Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam.

Reviewed December 3, 2011

On a short business trip to the Netherlands I was fortunate enough to spend my last night in his hotel. The location is convenient with all the transportation literally outside the front of the hotel. The staff are friendly, the room was very clean and quiet, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. I would have loved to extend my trip by a day or two just to experience more of the hotel and city of Amsterdam. I will return and bring my wife so we can both enjoy using this hotel as our vacation accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank dinsdaleAB

Dear DinsdaleAB,

Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor. It is great to see that you enjoyed the hotel!
On behalf of the entire team, we are looking forward te welcome you and your wife to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam for you vacation.