“A hotel of two halves - and disappointing given the reviews” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Ranked #132 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“A hotel of two halves - and disappointing given the reviews”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

I booked two rooms via a last minute website. I did ask to be fair for a nice view for my mum which they did at checkin without prompting. Her room was fine, clean and well appointed. However, all the good feelings disappeared when having taken 5 mins to find my room it was down a narrow spiral staircase on a mezzanine floor. A narrow room with only half a wardrobe. The effect being the tea and coffee are on the floor or the wardrobe and the mini safe above head height. The worst part of this "superior" room is the bathroom where the bath takes up half the space. To reach the bath and basin you have to turn sideways to squeeze past the toilet.The pluses of free wifi and the location are outweighed for me by the room which for a"superior" room it's disappointing, poor and NOT value for money. To avoid the same fate - it's room 115

• Stayed August 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed here in early August. This was our second visit to Amsterdam and we chose this hotel because we liked the central location, near the train station. When we travel we don't spend much tome in the room, but when we do, we want it clean and accessible.

In particular I want to mention some very gracious service we received when we stayed here. I left my expensive iPad charger unit in my room. When I got home to the States I realized that I had left it in the room. I assumed it would never be found and returned. I wrote to them and asked them to look for it. In a couple of days I got an email telling me it had been found and that it would be mailed to me at no charge. A few days later I received it! This is service you don't often receive. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carl N
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear Kurchian,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure to read you have enjoyed your stay with us and you point out the convenient location and the great service of the staff.
Your compliments are already passed on the security team, who are in charge of the lost and found items.
On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcome you again to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam when your travel brings you back to the area.

Novosibirsk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

The hotel is very tired and old-fashioned, though it looks great from the outside. The lobby is tiny and very inconvenient if you have big bags. The corrodors are crampy and dark with stinking old carpets. Our room was of executive category, but the only thing that was good - was a Nespresso coffe machine. The rest is so tired, old, cheap and neglected! The bathroom was as tiny as simple (if not to say cheap). Breakfast is mediocre - nothing to eat at all, and the dining hall is so cold, gloomy and forlorn. I will never stay here (if I visit Amsterdam once again, what is quite hard to imagine - it's not a city to return in).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sibvaleo,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
I was dismayed to read that we did not meet the expectations you had.
Your comments are passed on to the departments involved to look into these matters.
Although a next visit to Amsterdam does not rank high in your agenda, I wanted to thank you for your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

The hotel is ok. Note it is walking distance from the station and red light district.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear Lancellot,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
The most famous square kilometer of the Netherlands is indeed just around the corner.
We are looking forward to welcome you again to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam in the near future.

Burnley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

At check in we'd just walked through pouring down rain and the check in assistant was quite rude about needing our passport. Not a great first impression.

Apart from that basically what we expected, standard hotel in a fantastic location. Can't emphasise how well placed it is!

Taxi rank right outside and surrounded by places to eat, we ended up heading quite far south into the city for dinner to get out of the generic tourist trap a little bit.

Should add we called down for an ironing board which arrived within 5 minutes or so which was impressive so pulls up the overall service a bit.

Overall not a bad hotel for a one night stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank BurnleyStudent
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Dear BurnleyStudent,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you liked the convenient location of the hotel and the fast service of the housekeeping.
Your comment regarding the welcome at the reception is passed on to the Front Office Manager to take appropriate actions, thank you for making us aware of this first impression.
We look forward to welcome you again at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam when your travel brings you back to the area.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I've used the Victoria since the 1970's.
When I stayed there last there were mice running around my bedroom. I have not been back for a while but last month I decided to try it again.
I wish I hadn't. OK, the bedroom was mouse free.
In the bar near reception there were 2 mice running around picking up bits of food that had been dropped on the floor.
They were not concerned about the customers in the bar so I can only assume that they had been there a time.
The hotel manager, Jan Willem Roenhorst was apologetic when I complained about mice running around in an area that serves food but by his attitude it was obvious that he was aware of the problem.
This is a huge shame, the hotel has always been one of my favourites, it is well situated for the city and public transport and the staff are excellent.
My advice, if you decide to stay there take your own cat.
Alternatively, if you want to share your stay in Amsterdam with animals running around you then consider sleeping at Artis Zoo.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank seniledelinquent78
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
Dear Mr. P,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.
As I mentioned during our conversation, mice are indeed a problem in the city centre of Amsterdam due to the construction of the new subway (de Noord-Zuid lijn) and the bad weather we have had this past month.
Park Plaza Victoria often gets HACCP checks and we work together with specialist pest control companies who maintain a balance between animal friendliness and effective precautions to ensure, we as a hotel, do not have serious problems with rodents.
I sincere regret that there are occasionally still some mice with intuitive surveillance skills that avoid those detections. However I am glad that our manager on duty had a pro-active approach to this and apologized to you and offered you the beverages you had in the bar.

Zürich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

I was actually planing to give the Hotel 3 Points but the very friendly staff made me giving it four. The folowing review might sound picky but we're talking about a superior Hotel.
We were placed in a standard executive room in the renovated wing as traveling on silver status. The room was nice and provided all expected functions. The room was super silent even it was facing tha main trainstation and its traffic in front. When opening the windows you can hear the difference. Unfortuantuly it is visible the windows haven't been cleaned for a while. The bed we found cosy but not practical for a couple as the beds ar not bridged. Double bed was requested, not sure if it exists.
The bathroom was nice and well equiped. But the door didn't close proper and the shower floor had a crack. The shower tube leeked.
Pool area was nice and as to expect but no staff at service.
Reception was very nice even having a problem leting us to the room on time. Some older Concierge were somewhat arogant. And not sure if they know how to read maps as Conciergery misguided us twice.
All in all my Girlfriend and I were very happy with the stay. The review should help the Hotel to become even bether and to help travelers to see that only the small things have to become bether.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear Dabaldi,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
I appreciate you are giving constructive feedback, because indeed the little things matter. This feedback helps us improve the product and service that our guest may expect from us.
Your comments are passed on to the departments involved to take appropriate actions, thank you for making us aware of the things you have encountered.
On behalf of the entire team, we look forward welcoming you and your girlfriend back to Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam when your travel brings you back to the area.