I should begin my review by stating that I did not plan this trip, to include hotel accomodations, otherwise this hotel would have possibly rang a bell from the beginning. Therefore this list will begin with cons, since this half will be more extensive.
1) Free WiFi across the hotel is the first (and thank goodness the only) flat-out lie. When my party and I arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with a "free WiFi zone" sign created out of laminated paper emblazoning the side wall, signaling that there was free WiFi in the area. Once on the fourth floor in our room, our lackluster experience with the WiFi zone came to an abrupt stop, although not apparent at first. We were still connected to the WiFi from downstairs, but now out of range so we obtained an extremely weak signal, if at all.
2) Speaking on our arrival to the hotel, the doors are automatic (or appear to be so) during the day, but at night must be manually operated by the desk clerk who may or may not be at the desk. When he/she is at the desk, the patron also rolls the dice on whether or not the clerk is paying attention. At check-in, the friend of mine who paid for the room was greeted by the pleasant surprise of finding out her credit card had already been charged for the total price of the stay in the hotel, and not merely placed on hold like she had believed (It should be noted that I was not present when she made the purchase, so it is possible it was an oversight on her part).
3) The Room - what we've been waiting for. The hotel overall was clean, so no complaints there, however the room meant for three people would have been a little cramped for two, so for three, which we were, it was even tougher. Also, it clearly was designed for two people, so I find it a little insulting to charge so much more for a two-person bedroom that the caretakers simply added another bed to (prices subject to change, thus invalidating my claims, therefore they are omitted). The walls seem quite thin as well, making it possible to hear things you normally would not want to. Soap was available but scant, replaced by more lotions and shampoo than the essential product (It is recommended to bring your own soap on any trip, for just this occasion). The TV is a tube television so its big and dated but functional. The shower is the most luxurious part of the room in my opinion, as the showerhead pumps out even, soft warm water. Though tight, somehow I did sleep very well in the bed. They appear to be a full size, give or take a few inches/cm.
4) Customer service was not offensive, just severely apathetic. It is as if your problems are your own, when they do not directly affect thr staff. On the first night in the hotel after being out, we returned and found there was no internet at all, WiFi zone or otherwise. When asked about the outage, the clerk simply said "I don't know.. I don't know it went out earlier and I don't know why it's broken." my perception might have allowed me to collect a smug look off his face, whether intentionally or not was unimportant. Touching as well about the door, it is night time when we return and wait for about eleven seconds while the desk clerk is in plain view of the door, but not paying attention to it. Eleven seconds is not a long time to wait, but when someone is sitting at the mechanism to grant you entry, and he doesn't even look up to the door because he most likely cannot hear the knocking at the first main door (there are two to pass through) I find it rude.
breakfast was tasty, and there were non-pork meat options
close enough to Zandvoort or whatever the namd of this beach is
free parking where available
I hope this review will help you choose a (better) hotel in Amsterdam in order to enjoy your stay to the fullest!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Modern facilities and comforts; situated in a peaceful area in the western part of the city, 15 minute drive to city center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travelocity and HotelsClick so you can book your New West Inn Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amsterdam City West Hotel Amsterdam
- Tulip Inn Amsterdam
- Golden Tulip Amsterdam