“Excellent hotel for amazing prices in Amsterdam”

New West Inn Amsterdam
Ranked #167 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had a lovely room at this hotel and the price was unbeliveable for Amsterdam which is usually one of the most expensive of the worlds cities in relation to accommodation. Huge walk in shower, flat screen TV, air con, smartly decorated and 24 hour reception with very tight security. Free Parking and great transportation links into the city centre.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a superior room at very little extra cost but the room was great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 10, 2013

clean and big room - 1 king bed and 1 single bed. good service, near to tram station (about 10min walk). 20-30min to city center by tram. easy to find halal food (Turkish restaurant) which is near to the hotel. and lots of shop, supermarket.
yes, it's value for money! very recommended :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

excellent ratio quality / price ,regular rooms, nice location,With its own lounge with billiards ........ 9 km from the city center, public transport close to the hotel.
guys nice and sunny.

low prices recommended !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Easy to get there by tram. Peaceful and beautiful location. Staff very friendly and serviceminded. Room spaceful for three and beds comfortable. Free Wi-fi excellent extra. One minus for expensive breakfast. Lounge was cosy and nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2013

if you are looking for a nice warmly and relaxing hotel at a cheap rate, this is where to go. i was quite impressed with the hotel and the staff. The hotel is in a good location and there is easy access to central station

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Omotayo O
Reviewed January 28, 2013

this was our first trip to amsterdam and the hotel was great. it was really clean and the hotel was really friendly and very helpful. it was very close to the tram and made it very easy to make it to the town centre

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heather c
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Rarely ever do I really have to write such a "strange" review. It is seldom, indeed, that a hotel has such a huge potential and leaves such a miserable impression. In particular, the issue is as follows:
1.) The hotel is in a new, rather uninteresting (suberbian?) part of the city. Far from the city center, but relatively easy to reach with tram 17 + some 10 minutes walk.
2.) The (architecturaly slightly outdated) building makes inside a very good impression. Plenty of space, both in common areas, in the hallways and in the room, alike. Rarely ever do I see three star hotels displaying so much free space to move around in the room, and this without compromising the comfort of the room (furniture and equipment). All clean and tidy. So, what is the problem?
3.) As I enter the room I was given, I already feel it is quite cold in there. On returning to the hotel later in the evening, I realise why I am paying only 40 euro for a 3star establishment. The heating does not work. This in late January with a lot of snow laying on the ground (= the temperature must be below 0). Obviously, the (also quite nice, too) bathroom does not have any heating in there, either. Thus, forget taking a shower unless you are a walrus.
4.) Here, the story continues. In the corner of the room, I spot a small fan heater. Coincidence? - Rather not, why otherwise would they place it there? I turn it on. After some 20-30 minutes, it stops working. Moreover, the lamps (apart from two small nightlamps) do not work, either. So, here I am: spending my first and only night in a big comfy room, sitting in almost complete darkness and shaking from cold.
5.) I decide to take some action. When asking the reception to fix the problem, the guy replies I can be given additional blankets. When I insist to heat up the room, not just to keep me alive overnight, he mumbles something of a general problem in the building and of a technician who keeps fixing it and who will get it right with my room, too. When? - Nobody knows. My gut feeling tells me it will not happen during my short presence (I booked a room just for one night), so I insist he should see me as soon as possible. Indeed, after some 15-20 minutes, the technician comes into my room and - clearly surprised - states that the AC is broken down in my room ("general problem"?). Obviously, it cannot be fixed on the spot, however, he tries to make the small fan heater work again, and he succeeds. In the process, he manages to lit up the whole room, by making one of the two lamps work again. The issue was some problem with the electricity in my room, and not the small heater and the lamp themselves.
6.) Halfway to happy, I keep heating my big comfortable room with that small fan heater. The temperature slowly rises up, I go to bed. Before I manage to fall asleep, the heater switches off and definitely refuses to work, and I feel the dark Dutch winter coming on to me, again....

To sum the story up: I am certain that the hotel management knew of the problem and placed me in that unfortunate room just because I was alone and came to Amsterdam just for one night. Whatever their reasoning, they did not offer to refund the stay or to compensate for the shortcomings despite the whole circus I went through and despite my spoilt stay. On my departure, the receptionist just said how sorry she was and... "bye-bye".
Indeed, that was my farewell to this hotel as I do not intend to come back whatever the price will be and I strongly advise other guests to do the same. Maybe, one day the hotel management lives up to what is a serious treatment of guests visiting a three star establishment.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo