“Old World charm perfectly combined with modern luxury”

Park Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #91 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The Park Hotel in Amsterdam is the perfect location for a short (or long) stay in this beautiful city. Superbly positioned, close to the centre of the city but also just far enough out to feel like you are in the "real" Amsterdam.The VondelPark is right on the doorstep, which is ideal for leisurely walks, bike rides or a picnic. Don't miss this gem when next in Amsterdam! With beds and linen to die for!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

“Baie dankie” for taking time to post a review with such a positive vibe.
It would be a honour to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

stayed in Park in September, 2011, the best thing about the hotel is the location, fantastically located right opposite the holland casino and the hard rock cafe, leidesplien was literally a moment's distance, we quite literally walked everywhere vondel park, rijksmuseum ( though it was getting renovated ), van gogh museum rembradt square even the red light district,
the other lovely thing about the hotel was the cycles that they provided, thank you so much. One gripe though, we landed a little early in the morning and while no one expected a room very early, not even an hour's exception was given, made us feel a little unwelcome.
that said, the location quite literally makes up for everything.

Room Tip: make sure you don't book the basic room, its quite small and the bathroom is quite uniquely, and...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking time to write. I’m glad to read that you liked the location that much. Regarding the room that wasn’t ready for check in time, normally we can give you a room, even if you are earlier than the check in time. Unfortunately we can not do that when the rooms aren’t ready. I’m really sorry to learn that our staff didn’t give you a warm welcome. I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again and we are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable in every aspect.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed for four nights whilst visiting a trade fair, The good points are the hotel has a great location near the Leidseplein and all the staff I met were helpful and efficient. The hotel also has a pleasant bar area. The not so good points are the rooms, which although well appointed and trendy with a comfortable bed, are quite small and the shower area is tiny with glass walls and no lock. The toilet cubicle was so small, I couldn't even close the door when I was sat on the loo!!
On arrival my colleagues and I asked for 'quiet' rooms as I had read a few reviews about issues with tram/traffic noise. The room I was allocated was the opposite of 'quiet' so I was awoken very early every morning by the rumble of trams and the noise continued throughout the day and into the night. Another disappointment was the extras. In addition to the room rate of 220 Euro per night, Breakfast (This was mainly 'continental' but with hot scrambled eggs and small cocktail sausages) was additional 23 Euro and whilst quite nice, I don't think it was worth the price. Wi-fi in the bedroom was also an extra 10 Euro per day which I believe in 2012 is a rip off when so many places include free wi-fi in the room price. Finally, the real let down was,when I booked the hotel, one of the main criteria on my list was a lift (elevator). I have stayed in so many Amsterdam hotels without one and so chose a more premium (higher priced) hotel, mainly to get the added convenience of a lift. Unfortunately, the lift was not working for the duration of my visit so walking up 3 floors a few times a day was the only option (also, no-one from the staff seemed to know when it would actually be functioning again). In summary some positive points, some negative and had the lift actually been working, it would have scored higher.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel (canal view) as they are less noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mikeo111
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to leave a review on TripAdvisor.
Firstly, may I apologise for the disappointment you have expressed regarding then elevator situation.
It is extremely disappointing that we have let you down on this occasion, especially when you have chosen for the Park Hotel because of the elevators, but I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.
On a more positive note, I was pleased to learn that you liked the location of our hotel and the service of our staff members. Hopefully you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We travel all over Europe taking technical equipment to conferences, and hate to see the dreaded word Amsterdam on the job sheet. I guess we are here once a year and (sadly) its usually the Krasnapolski (awful place) , so our view of this city is not necessarily that of your usual tourist and is mainly based on the fact that getting about with a large vehicle is a nightmare. So we arrived in Amsterdam with a heavy heart knowing it was going to be the usual hard work. The location is on a busy road (although every road is busy in Amsterdam!) which runs alongside one of the many canals but the hotel has a car park (with a small loading area with extra height in which we were able to unload and park - result!). This was the first of many instances to come that were to change our view of being in Amsterdam. Having checked out the pleasant meeting room in which we were to be working we then went to our bedroom and was immediately impressed. It was at the front of the hotel and had a lovely view over the canal - the road is busy but we always have the air con on so this masks the sound of the traffic (although light sleepers may want to sacrifice the view and choose a rear room) A floor to ceiling window makes the room feel much more spacious than it actually is, and as I spend more time i hotel rooms than anyone else usually would (I am usually working from the bedroom whilst the conference is on so having a nice view is always such a treat) but it was well planned and we actually made use the small table and chairs to sit with a nightcap and watch the busy scene outside. The white furniture and coloured lights above the window and floor lighting within the room gives it a very individual feel. The window wall has a door built in so you can open to get fresh air and look out from what isnt really a balcony as you can’t walk on it, but its a nice feature all the same as so many hotels don’t allow you to open the windows further than an few centimetres which is usually useless - so I appreciated very much being able get fresh air into the room. The first night I was rather surprised to see our room had red lights running across the whole window. As we arrived during the day we hadn’t seen the hotel at night. I went next door to a colleagues room but he didn’t have any lights as he was the end room, however another colleague a couple of floors higher said her lights were blue. So I made sure I kept the net curtains closed !! However it seems each time you switch the light it changes colour (I only discovered this when trying to turn them off to go to sleep) and found there were 5 or 6 colour options - so the following night I chose pink as there are enough red lights around in Amsterdam ! What’s the point of that you may think - well it means that from the outside the hotel is lit in random colours and I guess is lit differently every night - great fun. It certainly looks quirky without looking tacky (not an easy thing to achieve). The library lounge area at the front of the hotel is really appealing and being a book fiend I couldn’t walk through it without reading the bookshelves for a few minutes and I would have loved to have spent a couple of hours one evening sitting with a coffee and a Drambuie but sadly we never have the time for things like that (maybe next time ?) Its a short walk across the bridge opposite into the town centre and the river trip cruises are based right opposite the hotel (I would have loved to have done this - one of the group arrived early and said it was really good, but it rained on the only day we had a few hours off, so we didn’t do it). Just around the corner is a lovely park and a nice contrast to the hustle and bustle of the rest of the city. The staff we did have contact with (mainly banqueting staff) were very helpful and friendly and we realised very quickly that we have found the perfect place for a conference in Amsterdam. It also has the very rare accolade of being one of the very few hotels we woud actually return to when not working and that from us is a very big compliment as after a few nights in most hotels we are are usually more than happy to be leaving. We were able to stay the night after the meeting (although its was touch and go as the hotel is so popular we only found out the morning we were due to leave that we could stay that night) . So Im probably not helping myself by giving such a glowing review as when we do come back to stay for our own pleasure we probably wont be able to get in !

Room Tip: Front rooms have quite a bit of road noise - but do have a nice view of the canal. If you plan to b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LouiseKennedy
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I booked this hotel based on location and its relatively good reviews. Although a little over priced in my opinion it did offer the things I was looking for. The first impression wasn't the best for us as when we called in the night before to reserve parking the individual working assured us there was no need to do that because they had plenty of parking but when we arrived expecting to park right there they were full but informed us we could park a few blocks away at one of the public garages. Long story short we ended up parked about 3/4 of a mile away. Luckily after we checked in and got into our room our mood improved see just how nice the room was. A large plush bed, a lounge area with chairs and coffee table, and a nice big bathroom. The view was out to the canal and restaurant area across the street. If looking to splurge I would stay here again but for value I would have to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: We had a nice view and heard no street noise on the 3rd floor with a view of the canal and we could...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We felt really comfortable. Location is perfect. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room is modern and has enough space.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We had a great time in Amsterdam and the Park Hotel was great. The staff were very friendly and keen to help with all our enquiries. My friend was celebrating her birthday and they made sure we had a nice room and went the extra mile. The hotel is situated in a very good area and easy to get to from Schipol Airport. You take the 197 bus for only 4 euros and takes about 20 minutes. I have stayed in Amsterdam plenty of times, but this hotel is the best yet and in the best area. I will certainly come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends