“Excellent in every respect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Okura Amsterdam

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #22 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Rome
“Excellent in every respect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I spent a long week-end at the Okura Hotel in Amsterdam with my family this June. My choice was determined by the availability of an advantageous flight & hotel package deal with Expedia.
Although I had visited Amsterdam many times in the past - staying at many illustrious hotels, including the Amstel, the Hotel de l’Europe and the Pulitzer - I had never stayed in this property before. Never mind: this was clearly a “better late than ever” case!
The hotel is perfectly appointed, spotlessly clean and extremely user-friendly. By visiting the hotel’s website, customers are encouraged to contact the Concierge even before showing up to the hotel. I decided to take up on this suggestion, and I was not disappointed: the Concierge was able to come up with extremely useful directions to get to the place and also with a number of dining options coherent with my indications. And, during my stay, they were always prepared to be of help: full marks to all of them.
Check-in procedures are smooth, and it could not be different: the front desk is manned with enough agents to handle any foreseeable peak in arrivals.
The hotel is also home to a number of restaurants, two of which have been awarded Michelin stars. Unfortunately the one-star Japanese restaurant Yamazato was closed for refurbishment during my stay, so I had to give up on it.
At the same time, I could not bring myself to foot the bill of a dinner for four at the very expensive, two-Michelin-stars-rated “Ciel Bleu” restaurant at the top floor, so I settled for a dinner at the more affordable Serre restaurant at the ground floor. The Serre proved to be a good option and delivered excellent food at reasonable prices in a very nice setting alongside one of the canals. The only glitch was the inexperience of the waiters. The one assigned to our table even spilled a non-negligible quantity of our (quite expensive) Pouilly Fumé on the table without even offering an apology… I guess this is because in the Netherlands waiting at tables is not a profession in itself, so you can only rely on students that are there to finance a portion of the cost of their studies. But the small incident did not spoil my evening in the slightest.
The real drawback of this place is that breakfast is not usually part of the arrangement, and – even worse - it comes at a cost of over € 30.00 per person… As I was not prepared to break the bank, I decided to explore the options available in the neighborhood – which, although not without glitches themselves – were at least more reasonably priced.
But all in all this place deserves a five out of five rating and I shall certainly come back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MagisterRome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Homestead, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Stayed three nights prior to a Baltic Cruise. Arrived early morning from US and checked in without any delay. Staff was efficient,friendly and helpful. Room was beyond comfortable and serviced multiple times each day. As mentioned in prior reviews, curtains were pulled, turn down service, robes, slippers, etc. In room refreshments were thoughtful and varied, room service orders arrived on time if pre-ordered or promptly after an order was placed. They were beautifully served and delicious. We walked to the city center in about 20 minutes ( I'm 71) along beautiful streets with a variety of shops and homes, and the street markets. Loved that as much as the museums and exhibits. People were very friendly and helpful if we needed direction on our walks. Hotel is adjacent to a canal and has a lovely garden as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a Canal View
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Rooms
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted by a lovely pleasant girl who explained everything about the hotel she gave us a map of the city details on trams etc. Our room was on the 15th floor it was a corner room with amazing views. The room was very spacious and bright and immaculate. It had a well stocked mini bar and everything you should require from dressing gowns to the choice of pillows. We visited the health club which had a lovely pool and jacuzzi the only complaint would be the sauna it was so small and people were waiting to use it.
The twenty three bar is very nice with great views however drinks are were expensive.
The hotel is around a 15 minute drive from the airport situated in a lovely area with nice restaurants about a 10 minute walk away. The tram stops outside the hotel (number 12) to take you to the museum area from there take tram number 5 to take you down town.
Will love to return again soon

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Alloa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights recently, on a very rare break away from children. I managed to spot a last-minute deal, otherwise it would have been completely out of our price range.
I've stayed in many 5 star hotels over the years and feel few really are particularly deserving of those stars but this hotel is. Excellent staff, not too stuffy. Room amenities were great - comfiest bed and pillow ever :-) and very quiet. BTW, don't panic about the glass-walled bathroom (I did a little when I saw the pictures). There's a blind that comes down.

We were very lucky because our room was upgraded to a junior suite to give us a better view.

It's true that it is a bit further out the city centre than I had quite anticipated. I thought we wouldn't mind the walk but it was a bit far and the two trams was a bit of a faff. But, it's in a lovely residential area (has a 'west end' type feel) with plenty of cafes & restaurants nearby. As a result we didn't dine in the hotel at all (and partly because the top class restaurants get booked up by locals on weekends). We did have a cocktail in the bar on the 23rd floor which has to be done I think!

The only thing I would say was a disappointment was the 'spa'. Personally I don't think a pool with treatment rooms qualifies as a spa. The pool area was being renovated so only one tiny sauna was available (in the ladies room). Other than that, it's an average hotel pool with a jacuzzi. We paid, I think, 15 Euros each to access, which given the basic facilities is pretty poor. (I'm happy to pay to access other hotel spas where there are a variety of thermal experiences but not just to access the pool and a hot tub).

That aside, it's a great hotel that I would highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

While Hotel Okura Amsterdam is located a little further out from most tourist attractions, it is a welcomed retreat from the rest of the city. The Okura name is known for excellence, and this hotel branch is no exception. The rooms were spacious, and welcoming-- it was fun to return to our room only to have the curtains open automatically upon our arrival. Everything about our stay was perfect, I couldn't have asked for anything better. After staying at multiple Okura hotels worldwide, I will continue to show loyalty to this brand!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
west sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed only one night but one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in their attention to detail is second to none after a long day out coming back to curtains pulled lights softened bed turned down slippers and robes prepared made you feel very special we will visit this hotel again and would highly recommend it,it even beats the hilton in Hawaii which is hard to beat ignore any negative reviews this hotel is lovely and also spotlessly clean enjoy your stay as we did you only get what you pay for ! Sheer luxury !

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor lovely views of amsterdam
Naarden, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We celebrated a perfect wellness weekend in hotel Okura in Amsterdam. Every time we return to this hotel it realizes to surprise us in a positive manner. As experience and spoiled travelers we have high requirements, but the Amsterdam Okura is always able to meet these. This time we decided to make full use of the Nagoma Spa within the Okura. Excellent treatments, full use of sauna's, swimming pool (17 meters inside) and tranquility and serenity. Furthermore we enjoyed a marvelous, original Japanese, lunch in the Yamazato restaurant (1 michelinstar). We were not able to visit Ciel Blue (2 star Michelin restaurant) on top of the hotel, due to the holidays. But we know from prior sessions this is perfect too.

We visited the 23rd cocktail bar - on the 23rd floor of the hotel and had our room on floor 17. Don't forget that Amsterdam does not have many high buildings so the views from the hotel are astonishing!

No wonder that during the abdication of our queen and inauguration of our king most of the royals staid in the Okura, Amsterdam and during the nuclear top in The Hague, important delegates from several countries staid here as well.

In short: Impressive, high quality, great service, perfect food. Absolutely the best hotel in Amsterdam and most possibly in the Netherlands!!

Room Tip: Try the highest (executive) floors in the hotel, it's worth the extra investment!
      Cleanliness