“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Southern Finland, Finland
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Very high class hotel with a beautiful view from the rooms. Expensive restaurants and very expensive breakfast. Service was excellent. A little bit far away from the downtown and we had to take two trams to get there, but it was actually very easy

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Heidi R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last August after sampling many hotels in Amsterdam this is by far the best ! The staff were helpful and friendly in every way . The rooms were immaculate and so was the whole hotel . My favourite part was the breakfast which was outstanding . We loved it so much we are returning for a 3 day break this August

• Stayed August 2013
      Rooms
1 Thank happyhelenWirral
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival at hotel okura i was pleasantly suprised with the cleanliness of the hotel, its amazing ! I went to the desk to check in and everything seemed fine until i was asked for a credit card... Being 19 i dont have a credit card only a debit card. I was asked to give a ?600 deposit which i also didnt have. I booked this through expedia, on my booking confirmation it says that all fees and taxes are included. But the staff member at the desk was insistant that it wasnt, so i got the booking confirmation out and he accepted he was wrong but his"supervisor" insisted that we pay. I could only give ?50 of my tight budget. And i was made to feel like a poor foreigner during my stay.

9 Thank Alex F
Hotel_OkuraAmsterdam, Manager at Hotel Okura Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, this enables us to improve our product and service even further. It's great to read that you liked the facilities and were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of the hotel. We regret that you did not experience a proper explanation on our deposit policy. We will look at ways to communicate this more clearly to our guests prior to arrival in order to ensure a convenient check-in procedure.

We do hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. In case we can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us via feedback@okura.nl.

Kind regards,
Management Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Mendoza, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

before starting my opinion I doubted in putting normal or very good...to tell the true is a good hotel more than normal but definetely is not a very good one. The staff is very polite and correct in every detail but lack of emotions...is like they go by the rules but will never do the extra mile than as I client I want to see...or expect. The concierge staff did help and gave good recomendations. Do not think will stay there again but if you are looking for correct hotel this one is a good choice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Riyadh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Okura recently and as always am impressed with the unobtrusive service from all of the staff. To my delight the outside terrace was open and I enjoyed an afternoon enjoying the sun as I watched the many boats traverse the canal opposite the hotel. Very quickly it became time for dinner and the fixed course menu I enjoyed of a caesar salad with prawns and a main of duck breast served three different ways along with sommelier selected wines just topped the afternoon off. A truly memorable experience!! The service culture extended into every facet of my stay, from the doormen upon arrival to the guest room attendants. Exceptional!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the canal.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brian M
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

this hotel is just located right besides the canal with sidewalk and you may easily board a canal cruise from the hotel jetty and cruise along the canal. this hotel is located approximately 15 minutes away from the airport, perhaps it's a Saturday and there's no traffic jam.

upon arrival at the hotel, we received a warm welcome by the front desk staffs and when we finally gets to our rooms (3 altogether), we are absolutely stunned by it's tasteful furnishing in the room. mine especially is a corner room, #1124, besides having more space (quite a large room by the normal European standard) it has 2 wide window panels which make the room look bright and of course it comes with stunning view of the city. bathroom is has nice detailing of amenities and also best is the Nespresso coffee machine in room, which is a big plus to their hospitality, as I love good coffee. I have never seen a mini bar so stuffed with varieties of drinks, but some of the food in the mini bar are expired though. room is squeaky clean and bed is so comfortable. I have 2 single beds joined and make the bed extremely large for me living alone, my friends likes to hangout in my room coz of the large space and big bed where they could just sit on and watch the football final on Sunday night.

they also have an extensive room service menu, which is quite surprising, as most of the city hotels I have been in Europe have very limited choices. however, with all the good things that happened, we have one big disappointment, which is the Michelin star Japanese restaurant is closed for the summer and will only resume on 19th July 2014. we booked our stay in this hotel entirely because of this Michelin star Japanese restaurant, which it the talk of town, even taxi driver know about it when we told him to send us to Okura Hotel. this is such a great shame. anyway, we managed to land a dinner at the other Japanese restaurant which specialized in teppanyaki, is superb. we are served by a skilful Japanese chef who has so much respect for his customers (we are sharing table with other in-house guests coz we are only 3 persons). the food taste at their best quality and freshness. I had the best lamb in Zurich, but the best beef in this teppanyaki restaurant in Amsterdam, but the beef is not wagyu.

I am so impressed with the housekeeping, when they get the chance to clean my room, they will know where to arrange stuffs that I leave lying on the bed. I wish I have a maid like this.

tram stop just few walks away from the hotel, right on the main road. surrounding the hotels are good cafés for food and pastries. GPS works really well here if you need to get to a destination by foot and they are actually not that far away if you have the stamina to walk, enjoy Amsterdam by foot or if it's too difficult for you, rent a bike.

if you are coming to Amsterdam, you gotta stay in this hotel for sure, if not, at least come to eat at their Michelin star Japanese restaurant, the only Michelin star Japanese restaurant in Europe.

Room Tip: chose a corner room on a high floor and it has much better view of the city and much larger window p...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Rooms
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A really nice hotel, conveniently located a short walking distance from the Cornelis Troostplein tram stop (which is only a 7 minute trip direct from Museumplein!) Hotel was very clean and staff very professional and friendly. The Albert Cuyptmarkt is only a 15 minute walk from the hotel. The air conditioning in the room works very well, which is good to know for the few days in summer when it is hot. The value you get for this hotel is very good. The only knock on this hotel is the expensive breakfast buffet, but, hey, it is a high-grade hotel. Consider walking a few minutes down the street to several local cafes for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, as you will get a bigger window, with a bigger view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple