“Good business hotel for exhibitions”

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #27 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Okura is a bit far from tourist sites, but it is quite near the Amsterdam exhibition center. The road from the hotel to the center is filled with lots of restaurants and bars so quite convenient if you are there for a show/conference.

The room itself is nothing to write home about. Standard business set up with rationed coffee and tea. Nice bathroom. The only downside of using glass to separate the bathroom from the bedroom is that if you got up in the middle of the night, you will wake up whoever is sharing the room as the light will shine through the shades.

The truly outstanding thing with the hotel are the restaurants. The breakfast is quite disappointing but that does not reflect on the Japanese and the two French restaurants in the hotel - they are incredible (and you pay for it). Skip the bar on the top floor - there is no noteworthy skyline to justify the prices.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We just got back from a trip that included a two day stay at the Hotel Okura, Amsterdam. We had two adjoining rooms for our family of four. It was a lovely stay. The people were very nice and helpful. The rooms are comfortable, good size, modern, and clean with very good bathrooms. The kids loved the pool. The buffet breakfast that was included in our rate was fantastic. Fresh and extensive. Mohammed took care of us both mornings and he was really great. We had a beer one evening on the outside patio and it was a great way to end the day overlooking a quiet part of the canals. The one drawback is that it really is a few miles from city center. It's a tram ride to get anywhere. Knowing this, we still chose it because we've been very happy with the Okura brand and it was half the cost of a similar stay in city center. It was a little further out than I expected it to be, but we'll stay there again if we head back to Amsterdam. Would definitely recommend it, but only if you don't mind a tram or taxi ride to get anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RobandShanandfamily
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and came away feeling generally satisfied but not thrilled with our stay. Overall, it was very nice, tasteful and luxurious, but it was sort of lacking in any real personality. I wouldn't really have known it was a Japanese hotel if not for the name/restaurants - the hotel/room was more upscale business/luxury and didn't really have a particular style. The real issue is the classic size/location tradeoff - it's located a bit outside of the central city area, not really inconvenient using the trams but not really in an area with much in the way of restaurants/bars/anything in the immediate vicinity. Not a bad area by any means, just quiet. The nice part of this location is that it's 20-some stories tall and plenty spacious - our standard room was quite large, with a nice big bathtub and separate shower in the very nice bathroom.
The staff was generally friendly, although they definitely seemed more responsive to business travelers than to younger vacationers such as ourselves - we weren't able to get reservations at Ciel Bleu, although when we asked it was mostly empty, and we were given a really poor recommendation to a local restaurant. Overall, if going to a conference at the nearby convention center or just staying for business, I'd imagine it would be a great hotel. For a fun sightseeing vacation in Amsterdam, though, it makes for a very comfortable but ultimately largely forgettable stay.

Room Tip: Rooms are all large. We had a view of downtown Amsterdam that was nice from the 10th floor but the v...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was my first time an Okura Hotel, and lets just say that I'll be back. I had a fantastic stay. Upon check in, I was informed that the room type I had reserved had been sold out and was asked to stay in a smaller room and that I would be upgraded the next day. I said yes and had a great time. Even the small room was impeccable including a comfortable bed and duvet, a flat screen TV, and a nespresso machine. My upgrade was even better! The room was large and everything, including the curtains, was operated by a touch-screen monitor on the night stand. Though the real gem of the Okura was the staff. They were so friendly and professional. Truly, a 5-star team for a 5-star hotel! Should my travels take me back to Amsterdam, I will definitely be staying at the Okura!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good location, Clean hotel. Very helpful concierge staff. Rental bikes on-site.
Several issues ......

Booked thru booking.com initially for 3 nights. Plans changed and wanted to add an additional night. Called the hotel and got as a response that "the reservation staff is in a meeting" and the front desk staff is too busy to take your call so if I could call back in 15 minutes (?!?!?!?). Booked the additional night again. Upon check in I advised the staff that we had 2 separate reservations and they told me "no problem, I have made a note in the computer". At the end of the 3rd day we found ourselves locked out of the room. The front desk staff told me that we were to check out that day. He realized the mistake and re-activated our keys, but the room wasn't cleaned (5pm) so we had to leave for another hour or so they could clean the room. No problem.

The air conditioning in the room did not work (yes, the window was closed, yes, the key was inserted in the slot, and yes we kept the curtains closed). We complained on 3 occasions and only got the standard "we are so sorry" and "we will advise our colleagues" and finally a "my colleague went to the room and finds the temperature to be ok". The room was HOT. Not accepting this response and demanding another room, we got transferred at 10 pm to a huge suite the size of at least 5 or 6 rooms. Too bad we had an early plane and had to check out at 6 am. Even the AC in the suite was barely working. Clearly the AC systems in the rooms are not up to dealing with 26C outside temperatures.

The Wi-Fi is non-functional. You log in, and get kicked out after less than 15 seconds on all our devices (iPhone, iPad), complained to the staff (got the typical "we are so sorry"), and was referred to the provider ibahn, logged on and was told that everything was fine and to call back if we had further problems, only to be kicked out of the system 15 seconds later. This went on for 4 days.

Can't say anything about the breakfast because we preferred to consume that in one of the many street cafes a few blocks away from the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hotel Okura with its boxy exterior and clean, minimalistic interior design presents something different in the old-world city of Amsterdam. The service and amenities here cater more for business people (considering its proximity to RAI conference centre), but the location may not be so convenient if your main objective is to explore the touristy parts of Amsterdam.

That said, I (who was not there for business) had a satisfying stay in this hotel. As an LHW (Leading Hotels of the World) member, the room rate I paid was very reasonable. It included access to the Executive Lounge (with PC stations, complimentary snacks and drinks) and breakfast buffet. A minor quibble is that during check-in, the reception asked me repeatedly if I really booked through the LHW site, as if it was difficult to believe. Most of the staff were young and international (and a few seemed less experienced).

My room was quite large, but also business-oriented, with a significant space dedicated to a large working desk and swivel chair. Interesting touches include the Japanese toilet (with all the fancy buttons) and Fragonard toiletries. The room also had a nice view of a canal and rows of brick houses across the hotel.

Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to try any of the Michelin-starred restaurants on-site. I also didn't try the fitness centre/pool, which I think was a bit disappointing. The health facilities are connected to the hotel through an annex, but when you arrive there, the area is quite small (particularly the pool) and rather bare. Even if it cannot be expanded, I think the place should be made more inviting for guests.

I would not count out the possibility of my next stay at Okura, although I'd be more interested to try the restaurants if I have the opportunity to visit Amsterdam again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at the Okura Amsterdam for a week in June. The room was spacious, clean with a lovely view of the canal and city. The hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood that was a lovely respit from the active city. The indoor pool and spa were lovely. The breakfast buffet was opulent and offered everything one could wish for. The Serena restaurant offered great cuisine with a lovely outside patio area. The highlight of the stay was dinner at the Chef's Table at Ciel Bleu. It was an amazing experience! The interaction with the server, sommalier and Chef Onno Kokmeijer was awesome. The meal was superb! Each course was more amazing than the last. My personal favorite was a crab and caviar dish that was mouthwatering. Did you know that the chef even makes his own beer? Every dish was paired with an appropriate beverage by the sommalier who clearly enjoyed his job and was excellent.
We loved our stay and hope to return again.

Room Tip: Make reservations in the restaurants. They are among the best in Amsterdam
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business