“In a class of its own”

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #29 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Hotel Okura offers a level of service unrivaled in the Netherlands, with staff who have an eye for detail and continually strive for perfection one can simply not fault anything about the hotel!

The rooms are very spacious with an impeccable finish, I felt very much at home there.

Room Tip: Suites are spectacular
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pauljansen
Write a ReviewReviews (2,597)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a great hotel. It's smart, with fabulous rooms. We were in a suite and the size was generous for the price. The restaurant upstairs is one of the best in Amsterdam and if you just fancy a light bite they do a simple menu downstairs which is great value. If you bother to do research you will know that the hotel is a little way out of the centre, but close to tram stop and the trip to the centre takes around fifteen. Would stay again any day of the week.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My friend and I booked two deluxe double rooms for two nights, and have never regretted a hotel choice more. From the start we were both struck by what my friend described as the "cold efficiency" of the check in. Little did we know then that to call it efficient was very wide of the mark. (Cold was spot on though.)

We'd booked double rooms (and received letters confirming this). Both the rooms we were actually allocated turned out to be twins, something the receptionist had failed to mention at check in. We both requested a change of rooms (as a twin bed was clearly less comfortable than a double). I was fractionally ahead of my friend, so got what turned out to be the last double they had available (although my temporary satisfaction at being moved was slightly undermined by the attitude of the receptionist who seemed to me to be doing her best to make me feel I was a trouble maker for having the effrontery to ask her to honour my booking). My friend was less lucky. In conversations with both the reception staff and duty manager he was told they were fully booked so couldn't move him to a double. There was no recognition that they had let him down and no attempt to make it up to him (not even a free drink at the bar, let alone anything more substantial that might at least have made it clear they were sorry).

I didn't mind settling for a twin quite as much, so offered to change rooms with him, but he wouldn't hear of it (as, typically thoughtful, he wouldn't think of inconveniencing me for something that was clearly the hotel's fault). But he was very upset, cancelling our reservations at the hotel's restaurants, which we'd been looking forward to trying. It wasn't so much that they had made a mistake - promising him a double room and only providing a twin - what was really hard to take was that they clearly didn't care that he felt so let down and had done precisely nothing to make amends.

So I tried to talk to them on my friend's behalf. I didn't want to have to explain the (private) circumstances which made the response he'd received so upsetting (and in a decent hotel with staff who cared about their customers it wouldn't have been necessary). However, the complete lack of any sign of understanding of his complaint or any willingness to do anything positive to address it, led me to tell them that he is very ill and this was the first trip he had been able to make for a year, so it was very important to him and his confidence in travelling again that it went as smoothly as possible. I'm sorry to say that even this made no difference to the reception supervisor or duty manager - even now not a single word of apology or regret was forthcoming and no gesture of compensation was offered. The only "help" I received was a hastily typed note (not even on headed paper) from the reception supervisor, confirming her verbal assurance that the hotel wouldn't charge our credit cards for either night of our stay if we cancelled our reservations on the spot (which we therefore did, hoping that even though they'd broken their (written) word about the rooms we'd booked, they would at least refrain from charging us for the substandard accommodation offered in their place.)

The completely cold and uncaring attitude of the staff we had to deal with at this dreadful place ruined my friend's holiday and has made him decide not to use what limited energy and time he has left doing one of things he most loves, travelling. So if I could award a negative rating instead of the minimum one star to this hotel, to properly reflect the damage they've done, I'd gladly do it, and I would urge anyone giving even passing consideration to staying at the Hotel Okura Amsterdam not to touch it with a ten foot pole.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
19  Thank Adr1an
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I spent a good proportion of my life in hotels - some bad and some very good. The Okura definitely falls into the top category. I had a conference at the RAI - the Okura was excellently located for this. The rooms are fantastic - very well arranged, great for working in and whoever designed them had luxury in mind - it is the little things that count and here they counted. The domestic staff also seem to be very well trained - again, the little things added up to a feeling of being looked after. Only two negatives - the internet is a bit slow although it should be said it is free - a high speed version is available if you pay; breakfast starts a little late (7am) if you are here for business

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at this hotel after being booked in by a colleague, and it was not my first choice as I had not stayed there before. I was interested to try it however as I had already visited the very good Okura Tokyo Hotel. The location was a bit "out of the old town" for me but the experience was superb and I am very very happy I stayed there. Firstly the rooms are superb. very clean, great bathrooms with good showers and baths. All fittings are of highest quality and properly maintained. Small details like bath robes slippers and very personal helpful friendly service make this a great place to stay. The breakfast buffet is superb with the freshest ingredients prepared by very helpful chef. This hotel was a very refreshing experience from check in to check out!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at the Okura for a lovely weekend this June. It was my 6th stay at this hotel and I enjoyed the wonderful Junior Suite as well as the excellent service and the newly renovated spa and wellness center. The staff is very friendly and helpful and from the 16th floor I had a wonderful view of Amsterdam. The newly renovated room with the ensuite bath made you feel very comfortable. The restaurants are excellent and the rooftop bar is just amazing.
The neighbourhood is safe and it is nice to be away from the hustle of the city center.
The OKURA will always be my first choice in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Okura last summer and was by myself for two days and nights - I had one of their 'standard' rooms which was certainly deluxe by mst descriptions with a beautifully decorated room and ensuite bath (you could raise or lower the shade on the window between the bath and the bedroom for more or less privacy), tv with all the extras and a truly superb breakfast. What I most enjoyed was the neighbourhood the hotel was in - on the outskirts of the city and a fair walk from the train station, but right next to a lovely canal with lots of trees and grassy places and local shops - and about 15 minutes' walk into Amsterdam proper, but through interesting neighbourhoods. Othan walking into the city both days and several picture-perfect sunset walks around the hotel, I ended up frequenting their excellent restaurant on site (Ciel Bleu, one of the best places I've ever eaten) rather than trying some of the local places. The hotel was pricey but I defintiely thought it was worth being away from the city centre noise and hustle, and would stay there again in a flash. They had a beautiful bed - very lush and with the fluffiest pillows I've ever been given - but their was some noise in one of the other rooms and I ended up complaining at 1am. Other than that everything was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo