“Very pleasant stay at this hotel”

Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Ranked #31 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed February 13, 2008

Okura Hotel is located very close to the center, which is convenient. It's a nice clean hotel. Our room had beautiful views of the city. Highlight of the trip was our dinner at the Japanese restaraunt there which was fantastic, perhaps one of the best japanese meals we've ever had. This is a pretty big hotel, so if you prefer privacy that is not the place for you. However, Okura Hotel is a good value and a great hotel to stay at if you are touring the city.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kis777
Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)

Reviewed February 11, 2008

Hotel Okura is away from the main part of the city. It is not centrally located, but great for honeymooners, business people with meetings at the hotel, etc. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, so it was special. The rooms are spacious and hi-tech. Loved everything about the room and the huge bathroom with double sink overlooking the canal.

The bar/lounge overlooks the entire city and the building is the tallest and the highest point in Amsterdam. We didn't get to eat at the hotel restaurants and need to book two weeks in advance, supposedly a 5 star sushi restaurant, and the only 5 stars outside of Japan.

There are nearby restaurants, walking distance, but mostly will have to cab it to go to museums, shopping and city center

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rits2211
Reviewed January 14, 2008

I went to Amsterdam for New Year with my partner. We got a good deal on a fantastic room in the Okura. We had a suite, which was a good size and nicely decorated. The bathroom was good with a big shower and washlet loo, however the shower leaked. The hotel is too far out to really enjoy the city. It is a good 40min walk. There is a tram close by, but not my idea of fun. The French resturant was closed when we were there so we tried the tappenyaki. We had a set menu (75 euros each), add 2 bottles of average wine, then you are talked (pressurised) into upgrading your beef and before you know it, a meal for 2 costs £260. This would be OK, if it was an intimate meal for 2, however you could be sharing your table with a family with small children, as we were. The bar on floor 23 was good, if not a little dated looking but the views of the city are stunning. We only looked around the swimming pool and spa, as I had forgotton my swimming costume. The hotel only had PAPER costumes to purchase for 11.5 euros in a bright flowery pattern. Never have I seen anything more hideous. Why they don't have simple plain black fabric costumes, is beyond me. All in all though the hotel was the best bit of Amsterdam for us.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I have been staying in the Okura Hotel a couple of times while on business trip. I must agree with most reviews telling that the lobby and hallways should be refreshed but I never was disappointed with the rooms. They are very comfortable, quiet and clean. The staff was very friendly and the Japanese restaurant is a top notch one.

I once benefited of a room upgrade which was very nice ( I nearly got lost while on my way from bed to the bathroom!))

What would have me not to rate it a 5 is the additional fee for using the swimming pool... That's so bad!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2007

I used our corporate account and stayed here during my business trip. Far from the shopping and nightlife, but ideal for business travelers. Beautiful facilities, loved the bubble baths while enjoying cheesy US tv shots from the 80's. I am not sure, but I think it was McGuyver...

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I was curious to see how this hotel would turn out given that previous reviewers either raved about it and recommended the service and excellent staff, or were highly critical and commented on the dated appearance and strange smells! My experience was that both are correct. The staff are very courteous and helpful, there are plenty of amenities and the location is convenient with an easy tram ride into the center of the city and a selection of restaurants and shops within 5 minutes walk. However, my room had the previously reported ' strange smell' (and it was a non-smoking room) and the decor was very 1970s, in the worst sense. Given other reviews, I suspect that there are some more modern renovated rooms and that these are significantly more expensive. I was also disappointed at the premium charges that are slapped on everything, such as internet access (there is WiFi available for 25 Euros per day) and the bar and restaurants are expensive. I certainly would not rate it as a 5 star hotel; more like 3-4 stars. Major renovations are needed to drag it out of the 70s.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank FlossNY
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I almost booked to go here, but oriented by an earlier review phoned to check if guests could use the swimming pool, only to discover that this would cost an extra 14 Euros, not per stay, but per person, per day!!! So, given I like to swim each evening, we booked elsewhere. I have never, ever stayed in a hotel where you had to pay a day rate to use the pool before! (In fact, the Hilton where I am a member of the gym extended my membership by a month for free as I had a 3 week stay in the hotel, and all facilities are free for guests!)

Stayed: September 2007