“Nice short stay”

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West
Ranked #160 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Great staff comfortable room, good location, easy to find when driving in. Good bus shuttle to the airport. Importantly no airport noise. Loooonnngg corridors from reception to your room due to the design. Sits on a major road but no road noise either. As others have said a good bus service (197) but difficult to get to the bus stop.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you for your positive review. It is a pleasure to read you have enjoyed you stay with us. I hope to welcome you soon again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed December 2, 2013

A girlfriend and I traveled to Amsterdam for a film festival and chose the Mercure Airport for several reasons. We came in at night and didn't want to try to negotiate parking, public transportation or Amsterdam roadways in the city. There is a bus that goes directly to the city center across the street for 2 euros. The price of the hotel was very good and included free parking and free breakfast. Free wifi is offered as well as a late checkout of 12:00.

The front desk service was excellent and very helpful. We arrived late, but the bar offered a small menu. We had some lovely sandwiches and pizza with some wine to settle in. The service at the desk and bar were excellent. The breakfast was also excellent! The offering range from a typical English Breakfast to a more traditional European Breakfast.

We had a lovely first night in the hotel, refreshing sleep, and very quiet. The room was clean, well maintained, and functional though not luxurious. The second night however a large tour group must have arrived. It was loud! We heard people moving up and down the hall. The tour must have been young people or families because we heard them knocking on doors, laughing, and talking. We didn't sleep nearly as well that night and were disturbed often. This alone is the reason I would choose to avoid the Mercure in the future. I would prefer a smaller quieter B&B.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. It is a great pleasure you have enjoyed your stay and I would like to thank you for your compliments about our service.
Unfortunately some groups can be a bit noisy sometimes, and I do understand this can be inconvenient for our other guests. My apologies for the disturbance.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Now, why did I start with that statement- if you want to catch the bus to Amsterdam (197) and do not want to go back to the airport, you must cross the street. If you are a single female, ladies be sure to adhere to the bus schedule if you are traveling to city at night. Although the pathway to the bus stop is lit, you do walk through some wooded area to the bus stop.
The hotel staff here extremely friendly and bus service to and from hotel on time. Overall, thought it was a little above average but probably would not stay at this site again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay and thank you for your compliments. I understand your concerns about the pathway to the busstop and I would like to apologise for that, but unfortunately that is not something we have any influence on.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

I chose to stay at the Mercure Amsterdam Airport due to the price and proximity to Schipol airport when I arrived and got through customs I only had a very short wait for the free transfer to the hotel. Check in was fast and the staff friendly and helpful. I took the 197 bus into Amsterdam centre and back which was very quick although rather busy going into the city being approximately 3pm on a Friday. I used the room service and even though I called only a few minutes before the kitchen was due to close they were more than happy to prepare what turned our to be a delicious meal I had the dutch wild mushroom risotto and for desert ice cream cake. The room was clean although a little tired looking especially the bathroom where there seemed to ve an issue with the drain from the bathtub as when I was showering the bath started filling up and when I got out the floor was very wet. Check out was fast and efficient and as always with hotels from the accor group I have stayed with again first class service from the friendly staff I would not hesitate to stay here again if transferring from Amsterdam Airport Schipol although if visiting Amsterdam for more than one night I would choose an accor hotel nearer the city centre. Many thanks to you for a lovely stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind reaction and compliments about your stay with us. It is a great pleasure to read you have enjoyed your stay and that you are a loyal guest of Accor. Thank you again and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Sadly, I have to say we were really disappointed with this stay.

The good first - Good check in, nice interaction from reception and a welcome late check out of 12pm. Amazing bed.

The bad - This was a special stay for us and I had asked for an upgraded room if possible, we were delighted to see that outside our room it said 'privilege' so thought this had been done! When we got inside we found a very small but functional room overlooking the pond which in turn overlooked the road. Probably the nicest view from this hotel which is situated literally in between 2 busy roads and a motorway. None of the 'privilege' offerings such as comp water and robes were in the room, nor did we get extra TV channels or anything and when we later inspected the sign outside the room you can see it is one of those ones you can slide up and down to hide the sign - I'm guessing therefore that it was just a standard room where someone had pushed the sign up by mistake. Not the end of the world but would have been nice it it wasn't so misleading. The bathroom was not great, very grotty looking - nothing that a lick of paint and some fresh sealant wouldn't solve but kind of uninviting. Its the sort of room where you don't want to spend much time but because of the location you don't really have a choice!

With regards to the location, again we were disappointed. It's too far away from the airport to be a true airport hotel and way too far away from the city to be a reasonable distance to commute in without a car. On the way to the hotel we got off the train far too early and ended up having to walk the last few miles on foot with our luggage and when we eventually saw the hotel, there appeared to be no way in! Very difficult to find the entrance on foot and could certainly use better lighting. In addition, with no travel information readily available in reception or in the rooms, we found ourselves very lost and again, this discouraged us from going out into the city on the night we were there as we weren't sure whether we would get back OK!!

The bar prices are extortionate - 6,5 euros for a beer is way too much however the service in the bar was certainly decent.

Overall, I would not return to this hotel as I simply felt it didn't meet my expectations, I was expecting a relaxed weekend away in a 4* hotel however I came away feeling disappointed, ripped off and certainly not relaxed! Would I stay in a Mercure again? Maybe in the UK but definitely not this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share experiences. I am very sorry to read your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to offer my sincerest for the occured problems. We will take the appropriate measures to prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Reviewed November 11, 2013

It was an older hotel, small rooms but very clean. Wifi was pretty good. The location was not the best, but I guess it is to be expected for an airport hotel. Bus stop is across the street from the hotel, take number 197 which takes you to downtown Amsterdam. There is a free shuttle to airport, however.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank caroltolenlaui
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. I am glad to read you have enjoyed your stay. I hope to welcome you again in the future.