“Watch out crossing that highway”

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West
Ranked #170 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Now, why did I start with that statement- if you want to catch the bus to Amsterdam (197) and do not want to go back to the airport, you must cross the street. If you are a single female, ladies be sure to adhere to the bus schedule if you are traveling to city at night. Although the pathway to the bus stop is lit, you do walk through some wooded area to the bus stop.
The hotel staff here extremely friendly and bus service to and from hotel on time. Overall, thought it was a little above average but probably would not stay at this site again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay and thank you for your compliments. I understand your concerns about the pathway to the busstop and I would like to apologise for that, but unfortunately that is not something we have any influence on.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,100)

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

I chose to stay at the Mercure Amsterdam Airport due to the price and proximity to Schipol airport when I arrived and got through customs I only had a very short wait for the free transfer to the hotel. Check in was fast and the staff friendly and helpful. I took the 197 bus into Amsterdam centre and back which was very quick although rather busy going into the city being approximately 3pm on a Friday. I used the room service and even though I called only a few minutes before the kitchen was due to close they were more than happy to prepare what turned our to be a delicious meal I had the dutch wild mushroom risotto and for desert ice cream cake. The room was clean although a little tired looking especially the bathroom where there seemed to ve an issue with the drain from the bathtub as when I was showering the bath started filling up and when I got out the floor was very wet. Check out was fast and efficient and as always with hotels from the accor group I have stayed with again first class service from the friendly staff I would not hesitate to stay here again if transferring from Amsterdam Airport Schipol although if visiting Amsterdam for more than one night I would choose an accor hotel nearer the city centre. Many thanks to you for a lovely stay.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind reaction and compliments about your stay with us. It is a great pleasure to read you have enjoyed your stay and that you are a loyal guest of Accor. Thank you again and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Sadly, I have to say we were really disappointed with this stay.

The good first - Good check in, nice interaction from reception and a welcome late check out of 12pm. Amazing bed.

The bad - This was a special stay for us and I had asked for an upgraded room if possible, we were delighted to see that outside our room it said 'privilege' so thought this had been done! When we got inside we found a very small but functional room overlooking the pond which in turn overlooked the road. Probably the nicest view from this hotel which is situated literally in between 2 busy roads and a motorway. None of the 'privilege' offerings such as comp water and robes were in the room, nor did we get extra TV channels or anything and when we later inspected the sign outside the room you can see it is one of those ones you can slide up and down to hide the sign - I'm guessing therefore that it was just a standard room where someone had pushed the sign up by mistake. Not the end of the world but would have been nice it it wasn't so misleading. The bathroom was not great, very grotty looking - nothing that a lick of paint and some fresh sealant wouldn't solve but kind of uninviting. Its the sort of room where you don't want to spend much time but because of the location you don't really have a choice!

With regards to the location, again we were disappointed. It's too far away from the airport to be a true airport hotel and way too far away from the city to be a reasonable distance to commute in without a car. On the way to the hotel we got off the train far too early and ended up having to walk the last few miles on foot with our luggage and when we eventually saw the hotel, there appeared to be no way in! Very difficult to find the entrance on foot and could certainly use better lighting. In addition, with no travel information readily available in reception or in the rooms, we found ourselves very lost and again, this discouraged us from going out into the city on the night we were there as we weren't sure whether we would get back OK!!

The bar prices are extortionate - 6,5 euros for a beer is way too much however the service in the bar was certainly decent.

Overall, I would not return to this hotel as I simply felt it didn't meet my expectations, I was expecting a relaxed weekend away in a 4* hotel however I came away feeling disappointed, ripped off and certainly not relaxed! Would I stay in a Mercure again? Maybe in the UK but definitely not this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share experiences. I am very sorry to read your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to offer my sincerest for the occured problems. We will take the appropriate measures to prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Reviewed November 11, 2013

It was an older hotel, small rooms but very clean. Wifi was pretty good. The location was not the best, but I guess it is to be expected for an airport hotel. Bus stop is across the street from the hotel, take number 197 which takes you to downtown Amsterdam. There is a free shuttle to airport, however.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank caroltolenlaui
MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your stay with us. I am glad to read you have enjoyed your stay. I hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Went for a conference there for 2 days. Good business hotel with conference and practical rooms/breakfast and food. Shutlle bus goes only once an hour so I had to take a taxi as I was in a hurry. Cost about 20 Euro. Hotel is close to airport (like 15 min drive).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments about your stay and I am glad you have enjoyed your stay. I hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel ! Take the bus 197 (3 min walking from the hotel, 2? and not included in the gvb lines) and 20 minutes later you are in the center of Amsterdam. The breakfast is very good. Ask the shuttle for free (airport-hotel) !
I realy recommend this hotel !

MercureAir, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam West, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. It is a great pleasure to read you have enjoyed your stay with us and you would recommend the hotel. I hope you will visit us again and your stay will be as pleasant as the previous one.