2,383 results
All reviewsprivilege roommetro stationnice hotelminute walkshuttle serviceamstel riverstayed here for one nightpublic transportbusiness tripper daybreakfast was excellentmini barcentreeurostaxiraiaccor
Reviewed July 31, 2018

Went to Amsterdam on holiday for three nights, upon check in the receptionist guest where brilliant unfortunately I did not ask for any of there names! Was a mini fridge in the room as we got upgraded to the privilege suite as a surprise .. the room had breathtaking views of the city and was immaculate!! Location is great as it is only a 10 min tram ride to the center! Even though it was a business hotel and we traveled for leisure it still suited us very well. Only downfall was the woman serving us for breakfast, as we wasn't dressed in business dress they must have thought we just walked in from the outside for breakfast as she was stunned to see we where residents! shame on you! overall great hotel!! :) keep it up guys

Room Tip: We had privilege suit located on top floor facing the river!!!
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa080593
Reviewed July 30, 2018

It was my third time staying in this particular hotel and I have to say it's still a very nice hotel but needs some minor improvements.

On arrival, the service was very polite, friendly and welcoming, but after check in I was quite surprised as a silver member of Accor Hotels that I didn't get offered a complimentary drink or anything. But nevertheless I just thought that the hotel may not offer this service.

Shortly after checking in and going to my room, I misplaced my room card, and whilst searching around the room for it, I noticed a tissue under my bed that wasn't mine. The room was spotless and cleaned perfectly every day regardless, but I checked every day and that tissue was still there. And for a Mercure hotel, it was disappointing to see paper cups for coffee within the room rather than regular cups, I've stayed in many other Mercure hotels and not one has had paper cups.

On my second evening, I decided to dine within the hotel restaurant. Food was very nice but service was quite slow. I noticed a man on another table being quite snappy to the waitress as his friend had ordered a beer, the waitress just said "Be patient sir." And that was that. I ordered a beer to enjoy whilst I waited for my food order. My food arrived and still no drink, so I mentioned it to the waitress and even then I'd eaten all of my food before the beer turned up. I didn't complain or raise this as an issue but the waitresses kindly knocked it off my bill for the inconvenience. But overall the food was very nice, just very expensive for what was offered, and the menu was quite limited.

I have to say that I also really like the shop that the hotel has added since I last visited, it definitely works better than the vending machines that used to be there! But there is a lack of service there. Sometimes I would be waiting at the till for a good 5 - 10 minutes before somebody would serve me.

I'd been at a festival for the weekend and arrived to the hotel quite late on my last evening. It was about 1am and I'd waited a while at the hotel shop, and went to the front desk to ask if I could have late check-out in the morning (with being a silver member). There was only one member of staff on the main desk, training two other people up, so there was a queue. Until one of the guys in training told me to ask in the morning.

As I got up to my room, I realised the whole reason I wanted late check-out was so I could sleep in as it was very late, and went back downstairs to ask. I was granted late check out with no problem, and whilst mentioning I was a Silver Member, asked about my free drink, to which I was offered straight away and apologies were made for this not being granted from the beginning.

One thing I noticed as well was that I had quite a lot of change on the side of my bedside table, it was there for a few days but after cleaned on the Sunday, the money had gone missing. I don't hold the hotel responsible and I know it was my responsibility to lock valuables and things in the safe, but cleaners should also be keeping their hands to themselves.

Overall checkout was easy the following morning. I think the hotel is great but it needs some improvements to the service. There definitely needs to be more attention on the shop because it's definitely a great new addition to the hotel! Apart from that, I would stay in the hotel a fourth time!

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Jlawson118
Reviewed July 25, 2018

I am handicapped and had requested an accessible bathroom when I booked the room online through Expedia.. Unfortunately, when we got there, we were given a room on the highest floor which did not have an accessible bathroom. In fairness to the hotel, we could have probably returned to the lobby and asked for another room (I;m not sure if they even had accessible rooms). But we didn't do that as we had just arrived from New York and were exhausted. The tub in the bathroom was higher off the ground than an average tub! Made it very difficult to get in and needed help every day getting in and out. It was over 20 inches! The hotel provides a shuttle to the Overamstel train station from 8-9am since walking to the train station is approximately an 8-9 minute brisk walk. They also offer breakfast but it was very expenisve for a adult family of three and we did not eat there. The room had 3 twin beds which was fine.. When we got there, the room window was open (didn't realize it). Very noisy as there is alot of cranes and construction in the area. The air conditioning worked fine which we used after that first day. The most important thing about the area is the NOT ACCESSIBLE train station! To get to the street level when returning to the hotel, there is NO ACCESSIBLE path! My husband had to carry my electric scooter up the 19 steps to the street OR walk an extra 20 minutes by exiting on the other side of the train OR use my scooter on an UNPAVED dirt path to get to the side of the street of the hotel (and then walk the 8-9 minutes.. There are about 2-3 new hotels being erected (hence, the noise in the area). All the hotels should hopefully pave a path to make this area accessible for people with disabilities. This is not a knock on the Mercure, per se. Not their fault. Unfortunately, when I booked the hotel, i didn't realize how far away it was from the City Center of Amsterdam. The train ride was only 12-15 minutes to the Central Station. It was very inconvenient for me but others may not find this to be an issue.It was a nice hotel but seemed better as a business location than for a family visiting Amsterdam on vacation.

Room Tip: Keep the windows closed! Very noisy because of construction in the area
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
RenskevanHoof, Management Assistant at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2018

Dear Ms Susan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback with us. First of all, let me apologize for the inconvenience caused. Upon your feedback we have taken immediate action to dive into your reservation to see what went wrong. We discovered that, unfortunately, the notification in which it was written you would need an accessible room has not been received in our reservation system. We will look into how this could have happened in order to solve this for future bookings coming from Expedia.Our sincerest apologies we were unable to anticipate your needs prior to your arrival due to this. We wish we could have made your stay more comfortable, however, as we have no accessible rooms fitting three people, and only fitting one person, we also unfortunately were unable to move rooms upon your arrival. We are very sorry for the inconvenience experienced due to this. Please be assured we are taking action upon your valuable feedback.

Renske van Hoof

Reviewed July 23, 2018

Stayed here for 3 nights, excellent hotel and very clean. Staff very friendly and helpful, very near to metro station for city centre. As a base definitely recommended to tour city. Our room at back of hotel and great views over Amsterdam.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garyralph50
Reviewed July 22, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights with my partner, we had a business room but they upgraded us to a privilege room free of charge, reception staff was so friendly and chatty it was great, they had a welcoming feeling, the buffet breakfast was also amazing great variety of food & so was the floor restaurant, food was delicious could not fault the hotel, they are amazing :)

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple