“Comfortable but service could be better”

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #110 of 366 Hotels in Amsterdam
Montpezat de Quercy, France
“Comfortable but service could be better”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed her on business recently and was given a twin room. The beds were very light and on wheels, moving around at the slightest change in weight, which was annoying. The beds were also quite uncomfortable for what you would expect from this hotel.
Food was okay, could be better. The breakfast was excellent - great variety and fresh.
This hotel has a good location, but the service was quite random. I was unwell whilst staying at the hotel and needed a doctor's attention. It took far too long to get any response to my request by reception and I ended up taking a taxi to the hospital. Not once did the staff behind reception seem at all concerned or move from behind their desk - all 4 of them pointing to the doors and road when I asked how to get to the hospital and how to get a taxi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Robert v, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is important for us in order to improve our services towards our guest. It was unfortunate to read that your stay was not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for that.

The team members should have had a more open and hospitable attitude towards you as our guest. I will address your comments to my staff in order to prevent future occurrence.

As the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffet. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffet in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products and fresh orange juice.

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Although the hotel as such is OK, with very friendly service.
But when checking out it reminded me of the way cheap airlines liked to pimp their invoices before there was a law against that.
Standard room about 100 euro (fair enough), but breakfast for two was 48 euro, and parking for the overnight stay another 21 euro.
Granted, I did not check the rates, but I did not choose the hotel, and where else are you going to park/have breakfast in the area?
Breakfast is ok, but the only thing outstanding was the fresh orange juice and a good coffee machine. I was not impressed about the food enough to find 24 euro pp justifiable. Parking rate is outrageous.
We went to the Ziggo dome. The public transportation station is about 6 (boring) minutes walking from the hotel, and is not cheap either. We spend ca.12 euro for 4 people, while the taxi we took at night costed 15. If the weather is bad, a taxi is a good alternative.
Room was ok, but showed some wear and tear. Shower tap did not work properly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DVG59
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We are getting a lot of positive feedback about the breakfast, especially about our freshly squeezed orange juice. Our breakfast price is according to the market prices.

Our engineering department is looking into the shower tap of your room.

meerbeke
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Purpose of my trips to Amsterdam are business. Trendy but small rooms in one tower, bigger but less trendy rooms in the other tower. Free WIFI is very convenient. Over the many years I am frequenting this hotel, staff has been friendly in general. (of course everywhere some exceptions occur) Breakfast buffet is good but quite expensive. The hotel is very well located to visit Amsterdam City. Also to enter the city with public transportation. Small SPA. Restaurant offers good food.

Room Tip: In the tower with the small, trendy rooms: ask for room 2001, 3001, 4001, etc... htose are located i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sonja p
Dear Sir / Madam,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked a night in Casa 400 hotel but we arrived late and they didnt have a room for us so they sent us to this Mercure hotel. We got upgraded room which was really nice. I stayed in many accor hotels around the world and this one is my favourite. Staff wwasnt very friendly, rather cold but still everything was ok, room was very clean and modern. Location is not great really, because we had to walk a bit to the nearest tram to get to city center.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is important to us in order to improve our services towards our guests.

It is correct that we are located just in the outskirts of Amsterdam, but in retrospect the public transportation is fairly close by and in walking distance. Next to that we offer our guests the possibility to rent bicycles and even a Vespa scooter.

I was pleased to read that the room was up to your expectations.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for three days and enjoyed our trip. Small, but lovely room with a great bathroom and a hughe shower. Very quite but quite central, 4 Min walk to public Service, highly frequented. Good breakfast with coffee to go :-) We will go there next time again

2 Thank hippie666

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

This place is great for getting to rai exhibitions and there was a free shuttle bus to the conference directly from the door. The rooms were comfortable but I heard quite a lot of noise from other rooms. I was also struggling to get warm in bed. There was also little pressure in the water in the shower.

Overall the staff are very friendly and helpful although the food is fairly average.

I would imagine they take advantage of business travellers and exhibition goers as the prices were very high for what it was. Don't mean to sound negative, it was good it many ways.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

We have placed many sound proofing materials in our rooms but unfortunately this was not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for that.

I was pleased to read that the level of service was up to your expectations.