“Decent rooms, excellent food, good meeting space”

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #104 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Frankfurt, Germany
“Decent rooms, excellent food, good meeting space”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Pros:
- Close to airport and downtown
- Excellent food - breakfast and lunch were superb; dinner left something to be desired but we were on a set menu. I had the vegan option and I got something that can best be described as spaghetti with Barbeque sauce (not edible). The rest of the food looked amazing though. Best vegetable soup I've ever had.
- Meeting space was fantastic.
- Nice welcome present of cookies
- Great view from room of canal; very picturesque

Cons:
- Rooms could do with a refresh
- Bar staff very slow
- Coffee breaks weren't that great - one coffee machine manned by a waiter, queue took forever, not many options
- Pillows too soft; couldn't get comfortable
- A/C didn't seem to work consistently; I'd wake up either freezing or unable to breathe in a horribly stuffy environment. I ended up opening the window, despite pouring rain, just to get some proper circulation.
- Amenities replaced sporadically; also not the greatest offering

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the refurbished tower; the other tower is filled with older rooms in desperate nee...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your extended and detailed review on Tripadvisor. Every day we try to improve our services towards our guests.

I was pleased to read about all your pro’s during your stay. These are points on which we as a team are very proud of.

I will address the service time of the bar with our F&B manager. Next to that we will address the coffee break issue. It could have been possible that other groups were using the coffee machine as well as we have 4 coffee machines spread out in our F&B areas.

In all our rooms we offer our guests 2 different pillows which lay on top of each other when you enter the room. The top one is a soft pillow and the button pillow is firmer. Next to that when you prefer a different kind of pillow our housekeeping department would be more than happy to provide you with one matched to your preferences.

The ventilation in our hotel provide all of the rooms and public spaces with a continues flow of fresh air. It may have been possible that one of the air conditioners was not working in your room due to a malfunction of the device. Our technical department is 24-hour per day available to assist you with any technical difficulties.

Currently we are re-formulation our guest relations service department and we will definitely take your feedback regarding the amenities in considerations

Thank you for your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel and I hope to welcome you again in our hotel

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Almost for a 5 star. This blow my mind after staying here for business for a night. Wished I had more time to discover this hotel in more. Have a nice bar alongside with all facilities. Rooms a huge and very comfortable. Also got a welcome present which is giving more of an introduction to this.
Breakfast could be better as the restaurant staff wasn't that friendly.
However part of that.. great stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that your stay was almost up to your expectations.

As a the General Manager of this hotel I am very proud of our breakfast buffets. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffets in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products and fresh orange juice.

I will definitely address the service attitude of my employees towards them to prevent future occurrence.

Thank you for your stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel and I hope to welcome you again.

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2012

after visiting Amsterdam last year we again returned in may this year. We had a enjoyable break the hotel was excellent ,very comfortable rooms facilities were very good and the food was very good .The hotel staff was very accommodating and pleasant .I really have not a bad word to say .The hotel location was perfect for us just a short walk or tram ride to the center .I would certainly stay here again. A very satisfied customer

Room Tip: Good food ,comfortable rooms ,good service
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janet C
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about your stay. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests had a pleasant stay. Every day I motivate my employees to go beyond the point of expectation.

Next to that I can recommend you our loyalty program Le Club Accor. The loyalty program is free of charge and able to redeem points at any Accor hotel in the world. It certainly gives you another plus during your stay and in the future. Would you have any questions about our extensive loyalty program please visit our website.

I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

Chicago
Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a meeting in the area and it fit the bill. Very clean, efficient, safe, and modern ...but nothing special. Despite others comments, I found staff to be helpful and polite although perhaps not highly skilled in customer service. Rooms were modern without much charm or style, bed comfortable, but room not rich in ammenities ( only shampoo and body wash ...no conditioner or moisturizer) with free high speed wireless. As others commented, location is blah (in a business park) but a fairly short trip to city center. The food in the restaurant bar was disappointing. As an American, I'd compare this to a 'standard value' hotel on par with a new, well run Hilton Gardens or Courtyard Marriott but at least double or triple the price (here at 189 euros a night which is about $365!). I'm finding Amsterdam incredibly expensive Ibut not sure if that's just the exchange rate and general high cost of Europe

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank QualResearcher_9
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important for us to improve our services towards our guests.

I was pleased to read about your positive experience in our meeting facilities. This is a service of which we are very proud of. Next to that I was pleased to hear about the service attitude of my team.

For your next stay I can recommend you a privilege room which will include more amenities such as conditioner and bathing salt. This room is definitely a plus which can make your stay even more enjoyable.

I hope to welcome you again in our hotel as our guest and thank you again for your review.

Bolsover, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

this hoteel is a 5 minute walk from the tram stop and thn a 10 minute ride into he centre of amsterdam. Dont let this put you off its easy to find and get around...

Some review mentioned rude staff, we didnt encounter a single one!

Check in was 5 minutes with plenty of advise from the freindly receptionist..

Rooms very nice indeed.

we had breakfast included in our deal and what a nice surprise it wweere too, was lovely even fresh orange juice.

Only down side were that the air con didnt seem to be doing much and the rooms were very warm this weekend. we did mention this and were told saome one would come have a look when we went out, but later that day nothing had changed...

I would recommend this hotel its fantastic..... But be warned Amsterdam is very expensive to drink

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tofwig
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I will be happy to share your comments with my staff.

I was pleased to read about your good review regarding the breakfast. We are getting a lot of positive feedback about the breakfast, especially about our freshly squeezed orange juice.

During your weekend it was very warm in the Netherlands. Let me rest assure you that we did our utmost best to keep it as cool as possible in the hotel.

I hope to welcome you again in our hotel and thank you again for sharing your positive experience in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

Willem Bleuland van Oordt
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We loved our 4 nights in Mercure Aan de Amstel in May 2012.

The room wasn't huge but was good by European standards and the bathroom was lovely, although it didn't have a bath. The rain-shower was bliss!

The hotel was very convenient to Amsterdam City by train or by tram - the train is the faster journey - and the hotel concierge sells daily tickets if you want to pre-purchase.

Public transport is easy to use with English being available on ticket machines.

We spent our 4 busy days out and about and opted for dinner in the bar on two evenings. We found it comparable to city restaurant prices and the staff were attentive but discreet and non-intrusive.

Breakfast was wonderful (we paid for breakfast on all days at the time of booking) although the quality/quantity was inconsistent.

For those wishing to do their own washing, we found that the self-serve laundry (laundromat) in the city centre was good value and we did a weeks wash and dry for less than the price the hotel charges for one pair of trousers and one shirt. It is located about 3 lanes away from Centraal Station. Ignore the beggar that frequents the laundry who asks everyone if they speak English and then asks repeatedly for money for food and drink.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kb_3095
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for you feedback on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to hear from guests who enjoyed their stay. I will share your comment with my team who will be pleased to see that another guest left the hotel satisfied.

These compliments will encourage our team to keep the service level high. We are looking forward of welcoming you again in our hotel.

Willem Bleuland van Oordt