“Perfectly acceptable for business” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #119 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago
“Perfectly acceptable for business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a meeting in the area and it fit the bill. Very clean, efficient, safe, and modern ...but nothing special. Despite others comments, I found staff to be helpful and polite although perhaps not highly skilled in customer service. Rooms were modern without much charm or style, bed comfortable, but room not rich in ammenities ( only shampoo and body wash ...no conditioner or moisturizer) with free high speed wireless. As others commented, location is blah (in a business park) but a fairly short trip to city center. The food in the restaurant bar was disappointing. As an American, I'd compare this to a 'standard value' hotel on par with a new, well run Hilton Gardens or Courtyard Marriott but at least double or triple the price (here at 189 euros a night which is about $365!). I'm finding Amsterdam incredibly expensive Ibut not sure if that's just the exchange rate and general high cost of Europe

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank QualResearcher_9
, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is very important for us to improve our services towards our guests.

I was pleased to read about your positive experience in our meeting facilities. This is a service of which we are very proud of. Next to that I was pleased to hear about the service attitude of my team.

For your next stay I can recommend you a privilege room which will include more amenities such as conditioner and bathing salt. This room is definitely a plus which can make your stay even more enjoyable.

I hope to welcome you again in our hotel as our guest and thank you again for your review.

Robert van Vliet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Bolsover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

this hoteel is a 5 minute walk from the tram stop and thn a 10 minute ride into he centre of amsterdam. Dont let this put you off its easy to find and get around...

Some review mentioned rude staff, we didnt encounter a single one!

Check in was 5 minutes with plenty of advise from the freindly receptionist..

Rooms very nice indeed.

we had breakfast included in our deal and what a nice surprise it wweere too, was lovely even fresh orange juice.

Only down side were that the air con didnt seem to be doing much and the rooms were very warm this weekend. we did mention this and were told saome one would come have a look when we went out, but later that day nothing had changed...

I would recommend this hotel its fantastic..... But be warned Amsterdam is very expensive to drink

2 Thank tofwig
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I will be happy to share your comments with my staff.

I was pleased to read about your good review regarding the breakfast. We are getting a lot of positive feedback about the breakfast, especially about our freshly squeezed orange juice.

During your weekend it was very warm in the Netherlands. Let me rest assure you that we did our utmost best to keep it as cool as possible in the hotel.

I hope to welcome you again in our hotel and thank you again for sharing your positive experience in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We loved our 4 nights in Mercure Aan de Amstel in May 2012.

The room wasn't huge but was good by European standards and the bathroom was lovely, although it didn't have a bath. The rain-shower was bliss!

The hotel was very convenient to Amsterdam City by train or by tram - the train is the faster journey - and the hotel concierge sells daily tickets if you want to pre-purchase.

Public transport is easy to use with English being available on ticket machines.

We spent our 4 busy days out and about and opted for dinner in the bar on two evenings. We found it comparable to city restaurant prices and the staff were attentive but discreet and non-intrusive.

Breakfast was wonderful (we paid for breakfast on all days at the time of booking) although the quality/quantity was inconsistent.

For those wishing to do their own washing, we found that the self-serve laundry (laundromat) in the city centre was good value and we did a weeks wash and dry for less than the price the hotel charges for one pair of trousers and one shirt. It is located about 3 lanes away from Centraal Station. Ignore the beggar that frequents the laundry who asks everyone if they speak English and then asks repeatedly for money for food and drink.

1 Thank kb_3095
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for you feedback on Tripadvisor. It is always a pleasure to hear from guests who enjoyed their stay. I will share your comment with my team who will be pleased to see that another guest left the hotel satisfied.

These compliments will encourage our team to keep the service level high. We are looking forward of welcoming you again in our hotel.

Vilnius, Lithuania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Plus: modern spacious rooms; bar and restaurant avaiable ( important if you arrive late and having in consideration hote location ), free wi-fi; extremely rich breakfast buffet, including fresh orange juice making machine
Minus: location - somewhere lost in Amsterdam, to get to city center taxi ride something for 15 EUR, to airport - appr. 40-45 EUR and at least 25 minutes, if no traffic; bad staff

Few words on staff behaviour, since I have personally very low demands and consequently expectations to hotels staff, but those cases made my unpleasant impression on stay in this hotel: very unpolite staff at breakfast, specifically ladies ant restaurant desk, almost screaming on visitiors; by checking out at reception tried "to sell" my bottle of most expensive champaigne from mini bar ( since I was paying for whole group, they probably considered nobody will check it ). When I insisted to make double checking, they suddenly within 10 seconds said it was mistake and canceled attempts. I believe it was single hotel case, not Accor policy for extra sales generation...
So being really well equiped hotel, providing well done products, they have to think something about staff behaviour.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ekspertas
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. Every day we try to improve our services towards our guests.

I have addressed the service attitude towards the assigned managers and taken action. This was not a professional attitude towards our guests. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I was pleased to read about your positive experience in our F&B outlets. It is in my believe that we serve one of the best breakfast buffets in Amsterdam. Especially due to the extended range of our breakfast products and fresh orange juice.

I hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

We found this place to be comfortable and the staff were helpful, however it is quite out of the city centre which we didnt find to be a problem as to get here from Amsterdam Schiphol airport its a very short journey, take the train two stops (6 mins + 2.70 euros) to Amsterdam Zuid, then hop on the Metro two stops to Over Amstel station, its then a short walk to the hotel which you can see from the metro station as its so huge!.

Don't let the distance away from Centraal Station put you off as if you look on a travel map, your closer to a lot of the museums being out of town than you would be if you were bang in the centre with all the noise.

We chose not to eat here because it was extortionately overpriced, the whole menu consisted of Asparagus which we all know its pretty cheap everywhere else, so who would really pay 18.50 ++ for it in a hotel in Amsterdam (more fool you if you have done), the drinks are also a total rip off, £32 for two drinks in the bar, we specifically requested single measures but were automatically charged for doubles and then told they had already been poured.. (do that to me in the UK and I'd pour it over your head barman!!!).

There are plenty of local bars next to the tramstop which are much cheaper.

We had breakfast included in the price in the buffet which was really good and we enjoyed eating there each morning.

One of the biggest let downs in that as an Accor Club member I was denied my Accor Loyalty points, its put me off staying in Accor hotels now actually because its really not my problem how the business methods between Accor and my booking agent (Avios) operate as a customer of both entities, so therefore I still had to pay extra to stay in a Mercure hotel and therefore I am still entitled to the points its cost me to request staying in a mercure hotel. It was twice as expensive to book direct with Accor than it was to book via an agent so very disgruntled I have lost out on points because of this epic failure.

Room Tip: request a higher floor away from chinese tourist groups
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cluster9
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that you preferred the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel rather than a hotel in the city centre. We are located in the outskirts of Amsterdam but with several transportation options it is very easy to access Amsterdam.

Unfortunate due some changes in our Le Club policy you cannot get any points when booking through an agent. Would you like to receive Le Club Accor point, you would have to book directly at our Accor website. It was unfortunate to hear that you where not informed about our Le Club policy change. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

I do hope to welcome you again as one of our Le Club Accor members in our hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Read a few iffy reviews of the hotel pre stay but I can honestly say it was well above par so much so we dined in on all 3 nights of our stay, great rooms (9th floor) great service , great food and cost going to join their loyalty scheme and will use this group again ,

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about your stay. It is always a pleasure to read that our guests had a pleasant stay. Every day I motivate my employees to go beyond the point of expectation.

Next to that I hope you enjoy the benefits of our loyalty program. Would you have any questions about our extensive loyalty program please visit our website.
I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

i recently stayed in this hotel for the Queens weekend festival in Amsterdam. While the hotel itself is nice the service i received with my associates was not.

Firstly they had seemed to loose our booking and didnt recognize i booked on hotels.com ( a standerd website for booking hotels in). The manager at the desk was very blunt and rude about this mistake and it was an awful welcome to the hotel.

This was evident when we were checking out when we were told off for not paying for a second room (i had proof of payment for both rooms). It was embarrassing and extremely rude.

While it is a nice hotel inside, the staff we met made this a hotel i would not recommend if you do not want to meet rude Dutch people.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Darren N
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback helps us to improve our services towards our guests.

It was unfortunate to hear about your negative experience during check-in and check-out. We are very cautious and accurate with reservations of our guests. Currently we are looking into a solution to prevent future occurrence but I can recommend for future bookings to book directly at our Accor website. When booking directly at our Accor website all the booking information goes directly to the hotel and eliminates the possibility for mistakes.

Although you had a negative experience during your stay I hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.