1,049 results
All reviews dam square great location superior room central location red light district first floor train station rooms are small damrak europe dutch twin minibar wardrobe
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We came here on our honeymoon and the staff and management were fantastic. They really acknowledged our honeymoon and went out of their way to accommodate us in the best manner possible.

I read other reviews about this place being in a great location, but I was still pleasantly surprised that it was so central to all of the best places Amsterdam had to offer plus just a short walk to the Central train station. Instantly we felt like we were part of that amazing city and its culture. I will undoubtedly stay there again next time I go to Amsterdam.

-Daryl Eyjolfson

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DarylGeneral
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

We were pleased to learn that we have contributed to making your honeymoon as a honeymoon should be. As I remember well , we gave you an upgrade. And yes, our location near Dam square is our main assett . We wish you a lot of luck in the future and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed October 4, 2010

From the time I checked in (slightly early) I received very friendly and helpful service for my two nights. The room and especially the shower/toilet facilities were very functional and clean.
It was easy to get to and and from Centraal Station with my suitcase via the trams that travel down Damrak. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2010

We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Yes indeed, we are very close to Central Station and for anyone who has a small piece of luggage and who does not want to try the public transportation it is within walking distance.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Rene Wildeman

Reviewed September 20, 2010

On my first time in Amsterdam i loved it, this hotel was central for everything.. the tramp was right outside the door which took you anywhere you wanted to go. across the street was a large department store which is full of big names, just around the corner is streets full of shops, so if you love shopping stay here cause you wont have far to walk with all your bags!!!! The staff was really, really nice, we even got to know a few by name,, and yes Jernone i wont forget your wagon wheels.(haha) We ate breakfast every morning in the hotel and it was lovely, yes it was extra but we had a hearty breakfast and it took us right through the day, also there is a lovely woman who serves you breakfast, and nothing is to much trouble for her. The room we had yes was small but it served its purpose, and the bed and pillows was so comfortable, and clean... We are even thinking of coming back with the kids next year for a short break, I would highly recommend this hotel to any body... Thankyou all again...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2010

We are grateful that you posted your opinion on our property because reviews show what we do well and what we can improve. We understood that in your case you were very happy with your stay and that you should like to return with your children. This week was a hectic week for us with architects starting to make plans for the renovation of the 1st floor and technicians installing the WiFi internet connections which we are going to offer for FREE within some days. We took the critics of some guests into account and will replace the opaque glass bathroom doors by other, none transparent, ones. We are looking forward to welcoming you again
General Manaer

Reviewed September 14, 2010

Just met expectation. Great location, within 50m from Dam Square. All I need is just to walk to the city's attractions. Room interior looks brand new. Breakfast are not included. You have to pay for internet connection, which you can get for free from a nearby McD. One thing the hotel must fix is the smell of cigarrettes (probably cannabis) in the alley and the room. Although the room is declared non-smoking room and free of cannabis, it is still smelly. But this is fixable.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2010

We thank you for your review and were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay. The good news is that starting October 1st, 2010 we provide both wired and Wi-fi internet for FREE !
You wrote that the interior looked brand new but our rooms are already 9 years old and starting January next we shall start refurbishing again. As far as smoking is concerned, we have a very strict policy: smoking softdrugs is NOT allowed anywhere in the hotel. Smoking cigarettes is only allowed in the designated rooms on the so-called "smoking floor". Smoking outside the designated rooms and smoking softdrugs will be fined € 100.-- for cleaning. We regret that your room smelled smoke and presume that you did not get a room on the 1st floor where smoking is allowed. We sincerely apologioze for the inconvenience. Unfortunately we can not act against persons smoking cigarettes or canabis in the adjoining alley which is public.
We hope that , despite this, we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future

Reviewed September 12, 2010

I loved this hotel. I booked the day before I arrived in Amsterdam and still got a decent rate, when I arrived was given a free upgrade to a superior room and was made to feel really welcome. The room was great (a little small but clean and tidy) and had a window overlooking a rather dingy alleyway, but no fault of the hotels! I stayed for 3 nights and stored my luggage on the last day at no charge. The location is wonderful, in one of the main streets and really central to everything. The restaurant downstairs (that also does the room service) was great if a little over priced. The staff were extremely helpful, gave me great directions and assistance when i needed it. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2010

It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Of course the location is perfect as we are right in the middle of the city center. Our rooms are not the largest one can find and as you mention it, some have not much of a view but we try to compensate this with helpful and friendly staff. As far as the restaurant is concerned we have a choice of cheaper as well as more expensive dishes so we try to take everyone's budget into account.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future