1,040 results
All reviewsdam squaregreat locationsuperior roomcentral locationred light districtfirst floortrain stationrooms are smalldamrakeuropedutchtwinminibarwardrobe
Reviewed February 14, 2010

This hotel is perfectly located right in the heart of Amsterdam approx. 10mins walking distance from the train station. The room - although small - was very comfortable and the en-suite shower room (small) was very well appointed and finished (hansgrohe, Villeroy and Boch, Porcelanosa). The staff were impeccably presented and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2010

We thank you for your review. Yes, we do not have the largest rooms of Amsterdam but our staff does the utmost to make our guests happy.
And of course our location is the best in town. My compliments about your description of the bathroom. You must be an architect or an expert in building bathrooms because you know all the names including Porcelanosa for the tiles. We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future
Rene Wildeman

Reviewed February 1, 2010

I only booked this hotel above the others of similar price because the management had bothered to answer to reviews on this site. Upon arriving, the hotel was centrally located a convenient 5 minute walk from Central rail station up one of the main streets. The street itself was one of the noisier, dirty streets with trams & cars passing 24 hours a day, but once inside the hotel you could not hear any of this. The hotel itself was clean in both communal areas and rooms. We stayed in a comfort room which was small but then you're only there to sleep so it did not bother us. The bathroom was very small wet room design - although it was of modern style, and spotless clean. The glass door on the bathroom? Well since it was only 2 inches from your knees when sitting on the toilet it did provide a new visual experience for my partner which after 15 years together doesn't come that often!!! This has been addressed by the management for future refits - see previous comments. The staff were very polite and extremely helpful when I mentioned the room was very cold and quickly came up with a portable heater and more blankets. I would stay here again if I came to Amsterdam.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2010

We thank you for your review which describes our property and surroundings so well. Not only are we updating our property constantly (10 new bathrooms are ready next month) but also the city has a prestigious project to turn our street (Damrak) into a
nicer street with a higher quality of shops and hotels.
A first step has been taken but it will take years. Our renovations will go quicker as we are talking with severeal interior designersfor our refurbishment programm which shall start in 11 months.
It was a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have the pleasure to see you back in the future.
Rene Wildeman

Reviewed January 13, 2010

I was staying in Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw for four nights during christmas time, it was a birthday present for my boyfriend. I chose Hotel Amsterdam because of the location, and I must say that I loved it! It was walking distance to everything, except for the Hard Rock Café. The rooms were average, I thought the bathroom was OK, and the almost-transparent doors didn't bother me, but if you are travelling with someone not that close to you, it might be a problem. I thought the bed were really comfortable too. The hotelroom was clean, so I thought housekeeping did a good job. The staff were really helpful and nice, they were always smiling! Overall, I liked this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2010

Thank you for posting your review. It was a pleasure to learn that our staff met your expectations. So we hope that this was the right birthday present for you.
Yes, our location is about the best in town and we promise to everybody that we are going to change the bathroom doors when we start renovating rooms.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again on another occasion
René R.F. Wildeman

Reviewed January 7, 2010

A very nice hotel, in the centre of Amsterdam, the place to be. The most important shops and highlights near the hotel. The staff off the hotel and restaurant where very friendly. I had a great dinner.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

We appreciate your comments and were happy that you enjoyed your stay and dinner. Our Restaurant De Roode Leeuw promotes Dutch regional cuisine and I hope you had one of the specialties
Rene R.F. Wildeman

Reviewed December 27, 2009

I stayed for two nights at this hotel recently and thought it was OK. I've visited Amsterdam five times in the past few years and have stayed at different hotels (3* and 4*) near Centraal Station each time, so my expectations were realistic.

My 'smoking comfort room' at the Hotel Amsterdam was the smallest I've encountered so far, with the bathroom door not fully opening because the bed was in the way. The furniture was dated and the arms easily fell off the desk chair (which could barely fit). I was travelling solo and wasn't really concerned about the size of the room, the dated furniture, or about the opaque bathroom door, but can understand why others have commented. I wouldn't like to be sharing.

The windows of my room opened to a view of a brick wall of the building across the laneway, and whilst uninspiring, I appreciated the central location of the hotel and that not every room can face the front. Fortunately(?), my view was of a portion of the building that did not have any windows, so I did feel a sense of privacy when I had my windows open. The heating in my room was adequate, the double-glazing kept the noise out, I slept well, and the staff were friendly. The room was clean and stocked with all of the usual ameneties, including a mini bar and although a surcharge was payable (15 Euro), I was grateful for the option of a smoking room (a rarity in Amsterdam).

Would I stay here next time I visit? Probably not. I'll try somewhere different, again. But I wouldn't discourage you from staying if you're after a clean, central and convenient room with a bed and amenities. It's OK.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank NorthernRiversNSW
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2009

We appreciate your comment and regret that we did not fully meet your expectations and could not do better than an O.K.
It is 9 years since our latest refurbishment was done.
At the moment we have several interior designers working on a proposal for the next refurbishment which will start one year from now. In the meantime we are continuing the full renovation of our bathrooms. Of course the replacement of the opaque bathroom doors will be part of the room renovation.
Fortunately you appreciated the cleanliness of our property and the room amenties.