1,040 results
All reviewsdam squaregreat locationsuperior roomcentral locationred light districtfirst floortrain stationrooms are smalldamrakeuropedutchtwinminibarwardrobe
Reviewed June 10, 2017

Arrived to find that the hotels entire front is being renovated by less than subtle workmen going hard at it with power tools for near 2 straight days. Starting earlier than supposed to and working later !. The noise level was unacceptable.

Our bathroom smelled like a cats litter tray, not that it mattered since it was so cramped I as a larger gentleman could not actually get onto the toilet as it was so cramped. I spent 2 days going to McDonalds any time I wanted to use WC.

The noise insulation is next to non existent between rooms, I could hear every word crystal clear my neighbour was saying on a phone call.

The wifi is not secure, you can see the other peoples computers on the network and it was slow to stop for the entire trip, most times stating that there were to many machines on the network for it to cope.

I was travelling solo and in short unless your blue with a white hat the rooms going to be to small for living from even short term. The 20 Euro breakfast is served in a neighbouring property so theres no heading for breakfast pre getting fully prepared.

I am being generous giving this poor instead of terrible being blunt however the front desk staff were friendly which was the ONE redemption this place had.

There is much better value out there and I would avoid this one especially from a business stand point as it was really not pleasant and I went to work throughout my trip feeling like I had not slept.

Room Tip: Single rooms are to be avoided, cannot comment on others.
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark A
Hotelamsterdam93, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2017

We find it most regrettable that you were not aware of the construction works, as we are making a serious and conscious effort to be as transparant about this as possible. However, 3rd party websites may not always adhere to our requests. May we invite you to let us know via direct mail (info@hotelamsterdam.nl) how your booking was made so we can check the information on the website concerned?
So we can prevent other visitors to be unpleasantly surprised as was unfortunately the case for you. We can certainly see how this will have tainted your impression of us for which we apologise, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

In general and cI though was the drilling noise ( I guess from construction that is hapoening on site) at 9 AM. This went on for at least half an hour.
Cocierge staff were helpful and bed was comfortable. My room also got a lot of noise from other guests, cleaners and I could even someone coughing in another room.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo

Thank you for your feedback. Indeed, renovation works are going on and during the previous weeks we have had the worst part over and done with, which unfortunately seems to have taken place during your stay, which we regret. We do indeed have strict agreements with the construction company and they are only allowed to carry out their work during office hours, to minimize any inconvenience as much as possible.
We would love to welcome you back after the renovations for a renewed experience in our hotel.

Reviewed June 5, 2017 via mobile

In short a very good hotel... rooms are new, nice and clean. The staff is very helpful,polite and warm. We had the most amazing stay. The hotel is very well located on the Dam Square, tram station is just in front of the hotel and all good shopping place are within 5-10 minutes walk.
Hotel is currently some construction next to it but unless you are late sleeper you will not be bothered, work is scheduled from 09:00 am till 6:00pm.
Definitely one of my favorite hotels...

Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends

Thank you for your good review. We are very happy that your stay was amazing and good to hear that our efforts to minimize noise disturbance have paid off and made your stay such an enjoyable one! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Amsterdam.

Reviewed June 4, 2017

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during a three-day stay in Amsterdam. It is a reasonable walk from the train station, and there are many excellent dining and shopping venues nearby. We've stayed in Amsterdam before, and we loved this property and its close proximity to everything we desired to do. The hotel staff and restaurant were also top-notch. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2017

Rooms are very small , they are also remodeling at this time so the main entrance is closed and the side entrance looks like the lobby of an hostel , the sink is right in the room and is good for dolls but not for humans as well as the bathroom itself , no gym , no restaurant , and.... rude staff. One night we went out and after 5 minutes I realized I forgot something in the room , I went back and by the time I got back they were cleaning the floor , the guy gave that look like I killed somebody my partner in the mean time was waiting in the lobby in the area that was dry already next to the coffe station , when I got back to the lobby I waited for him to finish his coffe but someone very rudely told us to get the coffee and leave, since it was already 10 pm , the employee at the front desk did not say anything and not even apologize for the way that person talked to us. I have been in several other 4 star hotels and never been treated like this. By the way there is construction noise and one day we woke up with a pungent smell of some chemical solvent they were using.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple