1,040 results
All reviewsdam squaregreat locationsuperior roomcentral locationred light districtfirst floortrain stationrooms are smalldamrakeuropedutchtwinminibarwardrobe
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Booked a double room to be told on arrival that they had 'run out'. They didn't seem to understand the concept of a reservation and gave us a twin instead. Bathroom doors are glass and so you can see the toilet 18 inches away from the bed. Despite asking for non smoking room ours smelled of smoke and to add insult to injury we had staff banging on the door through the night asking if we were smoking in the room!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2009

We regret that we were not able to meet your expectations. As far as the reservation is concerned; double bedded rooms are always "on request"and upon availability and this has to do with the limited number of double bedded rooms available. We sincerely apologize that you smelled smoke in your room. As you have experienced yourself, we are very strict on the non-smoking policy and do not tolerate smoking with the exception of the "smoking" rooms on the 2nd floor. Still it happens that guests do not respect the rules and still smoke in "non-smoking"rooms. As to the glass doors, although more and more hotels have fully glassed bathrooms, we shall replace these doors upon next refurbishment of the rooms, as we learned that several guests do not appreciate the opaque glass dors we installed 9 years ago.
We sincerely apologize for the inconveneince caused to you and regret that we could not make your stay a perfect one.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

The reviews on this site for Hotel Amsterdam-De Roode Leeuw do not do justice to this hotel. When traveling I look for hotels with good deals but based on the reviews I was not expecting much from this hotel. However, when I arrived, checked in, and saw my room I was extremely happy. The room was small, but you have to expect this in Europe. The staff were friendly, courteous, professional, helpful, and met all of our needs. Do not pay attention to the negative reviews for this hotel. I found them to be untrue and extremely dissapointing that people would be so callous as to tarnish the reputation of such a great hotel. The hotel setting is perfect. Right in the city center, approximately a 5-10 minute walk from Central Station. Attractions are near and shopping district is right behind the hotel. The view of the Royal Palais square from our room was wonderful and picturesque. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends, family, and particularly my parents.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2009

It was a pleasure for my team and myself to learn that your stay has been a pleasant one. Nevertheless bare in mind that an experience is unique and personal so we also do respect less positive reviews and do our utmost to improve our product and services. Sometimes this is possible instantly, other times, when involving investments, this takes more time. Something we can not improve and are happy we can not, is our unique location and I agree that the view from your room is unique, looking over the place Dam square, the place were our city started about 800 years ago.

Reviewed September 13, 2009

This was our third stay and we booked it because we love it. We requested a front facing room with balcony and smoking, and thats exactly what we got. Lovely. The bathroom has been refurbished since our last stay and is nicely done although the shower could have been upgraded a bit! (ideally).
The staff on our arrival were lovely as usual but no help with our bags.
We didnt use the restaurant because we are always too busy exploring but it always looks very welcoming and the menu looks good.
After reading one of the other reviews, I do feel the need to comment on negatives said.The view might not be canals but its part of bustling amsterdam and the location is so good that exploring is a dream.
The disappointing part was we foolishly put some change ( only 7 euros) at the back of a shelf for our train fare back to airport and it went missing. We told them on reception and suggested that maybe the chambermaid service thought it was a tip despite it being the middle of our stay. They said they would look into it. I had to ask again the next day and was told bluntly that noone took it- not particularly good customer service. Our pillow cases were not changed and the room was not well hoovered. The bathroom was always very clean. Our lights stopped working but were modified so they worked the next day.They are minor things but we have high expectations of one of our favoured hotels. We might not return.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gindy41
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2009

You give this review the title "A bit disappointing" but I can very well understand that you were more disappointed than the title suggests. This shows how an employee not taking a complaint seriously can spoil a stay. Of course I have investigated this matter but neither The Executive Housekeeper nor any of the Management team have been informed by the staff about this serious incident. Security and safety is very important for us as we rarely experience incidents that's why I shall try to contact you directly in order to get more details. I sincerely apologize for what happened. You say it is only 7 Euro but even it had been 20 cents it should not have been touched.
i hope that you understand that this is not the rule in our property and hope you will give us another chance.
Rene Wildeman

Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed in the hotel for 9 nights from August 11th-20th in room 204. When I was booking, the front desk was more than helpful in making sure we had a smoking room at the front of the hotel. I was very pleased with the service before we even got there! When we arrived it was early morning, and check in isnt until 2 or 3, but the hotel was nice enough to store our bags for us while we walked around the city. I wasnt feeling very well so we came back to the hotel around noon and we were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was ready!
The room was VERY clean, beds were VERY comfy, and the concierge was VERY helpful! The air conditioning was great too! The view from our room was very nice, with centraal station to the left, and dam square to the right. Lovely french doors opened up onto a small balcony. I enjoyed waking up in the morning, making a coffee and opening the doors to watch the city pass by... there were always so many people! lol
I cant comment on the restaurants food, but the coffee was nice.
This was my first trip to Amsterdam and this hotel made it great! The central location was key, always easy to find and a short walk or tram ride from wherever you are in the city. When I visit Amsterdam again, I will definitely be staying here!
The only thing I would say needs to be improved ( and its not really that big of a thing) is the shower drainage. Didnt really bother me, but it might bother some.
Thanks Hotel Amsterdam for a very memorable stay at your hotel, hope to be seeing you in the near future!
Mel and Ryan

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Parrot_Girl84

We were very pleased that your stay has been a pleasant one. Especially because you stayed 9 nights so had a good chance to experience the hotel and its services. We know that not everyone is pleased with the drainage in some of the new bathrooms. We opted for a system where you can shower without having to take any steps into a cabin but in some rooms the water splashed into the dry part which can cause some discomfort.
We hope to welcome you again in the future

Rene Wildeman

Reviewed September 9, 2009

My cousin and I stayed here for a week in Aug. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly as well. While the room was a bit small, it was no smaller than some hotel rooms in NYC that I've stayed in. We had no issues during our week stay.

Our room had a balcony with french doors that did open up and faced the street. Even though we had a street view room, it was surprisingly quiet during the day. The bathrooms are a bit different than those in the U.S. in that the shower area is smaller and there is no shower curtain so the entire bathroom tends to get wet. However, the cleaning crew did a very nice job cleaning and wiping down the bathroom on a daily basis. While many people from the States may not be used to this, I was as this is done in countries in Asia as well. Keep in mind that you're in another country and not everything is the same as it is at home.

I would definintely recommend staying here to anyone and everyone! It is centrally located and smack in the middle of the heart of Amsterdam. Also, while there is a tram stop right in front of the hotel, you can save yourself a few euros and just walk to the hotel from Amsterdam Centraal. It's only about a 10 min walk.

I'm not really sure why some people have left such negative comments such as "MefoandMeho's." If you want all the bells and whisles in a hotel room then suck it up and pay the extra $200 /night up front on a room at a luxury hotel rather than trying to be a cheap skate and complaining about it after the fact then blaming it on the establishment not meeting your wants/expectations.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank diana10314
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2009

We appreciate that you took the time to post a review. Especially comments from clients who stayed several days, such as you, are valued because they have a good idea of the hotel, our good things and our shortcomings. Every individual has a different perception and expectation so we also respect comments of guests not happy with their experience at our property and try to improve. We hope to see you back in the future
Rene R.F. Wildeman