“Disappointed - The classification must be reviewed”

Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw
Ranked #149 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Paradou, France
“Disappointed - The classification must be reviewed”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I am wondering if some of the comments are provided by real guests....
This hotel is well situated but should not rewarded with 4 stars.
The hall is small and smelly.The cost is absolutely not reflecting the real standard fr the rooms and services.
We had a double room for the week (business and tourism) and a single room for the week-end. The double room size was ok, but just ok. We had to stay on artificial light all the time because the room was on the 1st floor, on the main street, so there was no possibility of letting the curtains open with some needed privacy.The equipment of the bathroom was strangely set, such as this soap dispenser at the other end of the shower head. The bed was really bad, we got painful backs after the first night.
The single room was very small and certainly not worth the price.
Homemakers knocked at the door quite early on a week-end.
The wifi was the poorest ever, slow and disconnecting.
At check out, we discovered that one night (wednesday) was charged nearly 3 times the rate of other nights. We could not get an explanation because no manager was on duty, which is quite surprising for such a hotel. We had a complex and unsatisfactory explanation on email later but the global feeling is really frustrating.
At check-out too, an excursion had been charged on our bill which we never ordered. Since it was taking time to check (they of course would not believe), I was asked to come back later because several people were queuing. That means that because I asked to get the right bill, I was put apart. How would you call that?
We made the reservation knowing the total rate, but we consider this is really too high for the services we got.
The hotel is proudly showing 'Trip Advisor' recommended' sign. This has to be taken out.

Room Tip: Avoid street but not sure about the others
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnneF36
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
It is with regret that I learned that your stay was a disappointing one. Our rates fluctuate according to the availability, as this is also the case with airlines. If someone doubts if the quoted rate is correct, I suggest to contact our reservations department prior to arrival or consult our site.
I sincerely apologize that an excursion had been charged to your account by mistake. I understand that you were not happy that you had to wait before this was corrected and that other guests were checked-out before but sorting out this kind of things takes some time.
I hope that despite your negative experience you had a pleasant stay in our city
René R.F. Wildeman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

While in a good location if you dont mind all the outside noise as the walls seem to be paper thin, and a friendly front desk, the housekeepers began cleaning the rooms next to ours at 9am completely disregarding the do not disturb sign on our door. It seemed as if they were trying to disturb us banging the vacuum around, letting doors slam, and singing loudly. Two were talking loudly back and forth in front our door. EVERYTHING can be heard in this hotel. Very little privacy. If this pales by comparison to location, and plan to be up and about very early, then you might enjoy your stay here. It wasn't what we were hoping for.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jason H
As many guests praise our hotel because it is so quiet, your experience seems to be another one.
Unfortunately cleaning of the rooms has to start around 8 o'clock as new arrivals do not appreciate to wait until the end of the afternoon before checking in. Our staff does not slam the doors but due to regulations of the fire department all doors have to close automatically. I have asked our Executive -Housekeeper to instruct staff not to speak loudly in the corridors following your complaint. I sincerely apologize for the disturbance caused.
With best regards
Rene R.F. Wildeman, General Manager
Tennessee
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I had booked a stay at this hotel and was scheduled to check in at 11 PM however my flight was delayed and I arrived at the hotel at 01:30.

I knew I could have a problem when the night desk clerk said "I hope this works" as he checked me in. He then gave me the key to my room and said "I think the room is ready. If it isn't let me k is and I will come up" of course someone was already asleep in the room (and was none to happy when I walked in)

I came downstairs and the clerk said "he wasn't supposed to be there, we have no more rooms" (it was now 02:00!!!

To his/their credit, he did call around and got me another hotel, however I have the low rating because I had a confirmed reservation and had I not showed up, they would have charged me!

Other ratings re cleanliness etc was based on what I saw.

• Stayed May 2013
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
A confirmed reservation is worth a lot to us. For this reason I investigated your complaint in depth. The reason why we gave away "your" room was not as simple as it looked like. One guest scheduled to arrive very early in the morning of your day of arrival. To be sure to have a room available he booked this room starting the previous day and his name was put in the computer system on the designated room. Upon arrival the night-auditor handed over the room key but forgot to register the guest so the following shift still thought he had not arrived yet. For this reason the reception clerk saw a mention that this room was reserved but not occupied and this is why he had a hesitation about the availability of this room when you arrived. This is of course not an excuse but just an explanation and I sincerely apologize for this and for all the inconvenience caused to you. Following your complaint we have introduced a procedure in order to avoid this kind of serious mistakes in the future.
Yours isncerely
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I recently spent six nights at the Hotel Amsterdam. I was very pleased with the property. The location is excellent and is easy walking distance to all of the sights in Amsterdam. As for the hotel itself, it exceeded my expectations. The room was large and comfortable with all of the amenities you would expect in a nice hotel. The bathroom was the typical size of a European hotel but was clean and had lots of hot water in the shower. The mirror is one of those that do not fog up after a shower. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I will definitely return and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank renotahoe
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations. We certainly look forward to welcoming you again.
With best regards
Rene R.F. Wildeman, General Manager
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've been to Amsterdam many times and visit regularly, but this was my first stay at this hotel. I upgraded to a Superior room and was highly impressed with the size and condition of the room, especially for inner city Amsterdam. There was a beautiful full size bathtub in the bathroom, which is also quite unusual. Everything was perfectly spotless, so kudos to the housekeeping staff.
Our friends stayed in a smaller regular room but were equally happy. I did see their room as well and the room was smaller as expected and had and open shower European style bathroom. In some of the other reviews I've read about the hotel, I saw people complaining about this format, but I will tell you it's very normal for Europe and not at all an inconvenience. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. We had a minor issue with the plumbing under the sink, but it was fixed before we returned to the room that day.
The location of the hotel cannot be beat. It's located very close to Dam Square, down the street from Centraal Station, and the Tram stops right in front.
All in all, it was a wonderful stay the entire week. I would highly recommend the hotel. I also think its a really good value. For the price, the rooms are quite large. Any review that says otherwise doesn't have much experience traveling in European cities.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade to Superior!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beanctr
We thank you for your review and are happy that you enjoyed our hotel and your stay. Yes, not all our rooms are large ones and that happens in buildings which are over 100 years old but in that century our location remained a prime one.
We look forward to welcome you agian
Rene R.F. Wildeman
General Manaqger
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a good experience, we checked in early as we had an early morning flight and to our surprise the room was ready at 09.00. Very friendly staff. Clean room with all the necessary mod cons. Our room safe didnt work when we checked in but the safe was changed within minutes with no fuss. Overall I have no negatives to say about the Hotel Amsterdam - Well Done Guys !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dixiedoggy1
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Probably you could not say the same about our weather because the past months were far too cold. Maybe a good reason to return once during the summer months
We hope to welcome you again

with best regards
Ireland
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I will start with the positives. The main positive is location. Situated on the edge of Dam square Every Amsterdam tourist attraction is within easy access of the hotel. The staff are very friendly.

The hotel was very old fashioned which is often a good thing but unfortunately not here . I didn't like the bedroom. It was very small. The double bed was two single put together and the mattress was bigger than the base resulting in me falling out of bed one night! At one stage I had to pick something up from under the bed and I was shocked with how dirty the floor was. Under the bed could have done with a clean.

Walls were very Thin and I could hear conversations from my neighbours room

The bathroom (or shower room) was tiny. The shower area was barely big enough to stand in. If you are anyways large it would be a struggle to shower.

The broadband was complimentary but very frustrating. The signal dropped every few minutes for a couple of seconds. I was there for 3 nights and this was a continuous problem not just a one off.

Breakfast wasn't included. At €15 I thought it was expensive for what I got. I ate in local restaurant one morning and it was both cheaper and nicer.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank busterIreland
It was with regret that I learned that we failed to meet your expectations. I cannot change the size of the rooms but sincerely apologize that the cleanliness under your bed was not what one could expect.
I presume that you occupied one of the smaler standard rooms. For a small additional charge we offer superior rooms which do not only offer more space but have also a bathtub in the bathroom.
As far as the WiFi connection is concerned, I do not know what happened on that day. The coverage of our system is sufficient to reach all rooms but I remember that our provider had some technical problems in the past weeks.
I regret that we shall not see you back but nevertheless I thank you for having taken the time to inform us about how you experienced your stay