$196
Radisson Blu
Savings alert! 34% below average rates

The price you found is 34% lower than this hotel's average rate of $296/night.

Hotel Sebastian's(Amsterdam)
$194
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $244/night.

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel(Amsterdam)
$171
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of $212/night.

$194
NH Hotels
  • Restaurant
NH City Centre Amsterdam(Amsterdam)
$178
NH Hotels
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $205/night.

Banks Mansion(Amsterdam)
$225
Official Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $295/night.

$337
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $400/night.

$210
Lloyd Hotel(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
$67
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $85/night.

Ambassade Hotel(Amsterdam)
$244
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of $359/night.

1,030 results
All reviewsdam squaregreat locationsuperior roomcentral locationred light districtfirst floortrain stationrooms are smalldamrakeuropedutchtwinminibarwardrobe
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Bottom line: I would stay here again.
This hotel was a close 10 minute walk from Central Station and is a good place to start ones journey. The staff were very helpful. I arrived too early to check in, and they offered to store my luggage until my room was ready. My room was very modernly decorated; it seemed new, really. I especially liked the bathroom; again, very modern fixtures, etc. Great big bathtub, wonderful shower. My room faced another building, so the view wasn't anything special, but again, I was only in the room to sleep basically. Very quiet at night, although I sleep with earplugs, which is a big help. There is a restaurant at the bottom of the hotel which I didn't eat at, although it looked nice and was packed in the evenings. The only reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars was because there is no free WiFi. Very clean room. Comfortable bed; on the firm side, which I like.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

No free Wifi? Our hotel was one of the first ones to offer FREE WiFi for guests both in the hotel as in the restaurant. I am awfully sorry that you missed that one. Our staff delivers free access codes and only if you need extra bandwith you can choose for an option for which a certain amount is charges. However, the speed of our FREE WiFi access is more than sufficient for normal use. I understood from your comments that you had one of our enovated rooms. 2 floors have been renovated and the last 2 ones will follow during next winter months. We were plese to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit (with Free Internet)
Rene R.F. Wildeman, General Manager

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was just about to write my review on this hotel as we stayed for a week in June when I read one of the other reviewers comments (Lower your expectations) and the response from the General Manager about bringing food into the Hotel.

The General Manager states that HACCP is the reason that they don’t allow food to be brought into the hotel by guests. Although it was many, many years ago, having studied microbiology and food technology at University for many years and having written a number of HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) Plans as part of the course I was under the impression that these requirements had nothing at all to do with bringing food into a hotel !!!! It seemed to me to be related to the appropriate preparation of the food and subsequent storage of that food prior to its sale. I don’t recall HACCP having any requirement or legislative framework that would support a hotel banning food to be brought into its grounds.

Perhaps its all changed since I studied in this field but I tell you one thing, they would have had a hell of a fight on their hands if they had have told us that we couldn’t bring food into our hotel room that I’d just spent over 200 dollars per night on. How outrageous of this General Manager and this Hotel. I’ve never heard of anything so utterly ridiculous, officious and unjustified in all my 25 years in travel.

In fact, I might add that during our stay at this hotel in June 2012 we brought food back to the hotel almost every night as we had been sight seeing and were too tired to eat out. This food included KFC hot chips, burgers, Greek salad, drinks, fruit salad, hot apple pies, countless containers of Boursin cheese and crackers, chocolate, Danish pastries, filled bread rolls etc and we made no attempt to hide it as we have never ever been told anywhere in over 40 countries in the world where we have visited that we were not entitled to bring food into our hotel room. There are rules about not COOKING food in rooms but not about bringing food into the room to eat immediately when its has already been cooked. We ate our food and we placed all of the rubbish in the bin in the room and no one mentioned to us when we stayed there that we were not allowed to take food into our room. So it seems as though the strange "No food rule" is not enforced equitably.

In fact if this is the case then the General Manager should make this rule known to everyone before they book and pay for their room and then lets see how many people stay there. This ridiculous rule was not made known to me when I booked. If we had of been told not to bring food into our room once we got there then we would not have had a very good stay at all and we too would have engaged in a bitter arguement over the issue with the staff.

Now I will get onto my review of the hotel. The hotel is in an excellent location in the middle of the city at Dam Square and we thought that it was very nicely renovated. The bed was comfortable and the décor was modern. The sheets were clean and the room was clean. The bathroom and shower were clean. The staff were polite and happy to talk to us when we needed something. They were helpful with giving directions and the WIFI was also good. I did not hear any traffic noise from our room. It was a quiet room but we were not at the front of the building. We had plenty of light from windows facing into a courtyard type arrangement.

However, you need to check the size of the room that you are being allocated as our room was very small and when I say small, I mean small. Smaller than any other room that we have stayed in for that price (over 200 dollars per night) anywhere else in the world. You really couldn’t pass each other anywhere in the room without bumping into each other or hitting a wall. Not all rooms priced the same may be the same size and therefore the smaller rooms at this price even though the location is good do not necessarily represent the best value. The room was only suitable for one person, not two.

The restaurant was too expensive so we did not eat there although it looked nice inside. We noticed that it was often three quarters empty as a result of the price we assumed. We ate breakfast out as there are a number of places nearby to get food.

Overall, it is a good place to stay but I can tell you that if they intend to enforce a “No Food” rule then I wouldn’t stay there in future. It’s just not feasible.

Room Tip: Ask if you have one of the larger rooms or whether you are going to be given a tiny room for the price you are paying as some rooms are very very small.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidaycommentator
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Sir,
It was with interest that I have read your comments, especially on HACCP. It is true that HACCP primary concerns the preparation of food but also the conservation of food. As General Manager I am responsible for hygiene throughout the hotel, not only in our own restaurant and kitchen but also in our guestrooms.
I have no doubt to believe that you cleaned your room after having eaten your fast food, however, I should like to invite you to work only one shift with our Housekeeper and you would quickly change your opinion. What we discover in some rooms defies any imagination. For this reason most hotels in this part of Amsterdam do not allow to bring fast-food into their property.
In such an old part of Amsterdam it is very important to be very strict on hygiene in order to avoid mice and other unwanted living creatures. Not later than today the Police launched a warning asking everybody to be more strict with rubbish and food as the proliferation of unwanted animals is explosive during the warm days we are experiencing right now.
We were pleased that you enjoyed your stay and yes, some of our rooms are small and some are large. Renovations through our 100 years of history have left their mark. For guests looking for more space we recommend our Superior rooms or Junior suites.
You mentioned that the restaurant was three quarters empty because it is too expensive. This was probably just the case during your stay with us because our restaurant is so successful that it is often impossible to get a table for dinner without reservation most of the time. The Dutch regional specialties we serve do not only attract many tourists but also a considerable number of locals.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future
René R.F. Wildeman, General Manager

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Visited on Weekend of 27th July 2012 me and Mate, booked through Travel Republic shortly before going as already booked flights from Southend which was good as well,, Got Train straight from Airport that went straight to Central Amsterdam with couple of stops along the way. Once out of the front of the train station Hotel is straight across road slightly to the left, very good position with all the sights in close walking distance. Mcdonalds, Subway, KFC, and BurgerKing all close. Did not eat in Hotel as bit Expensive but looked good. Room on the small side but so are all hotels in Amsterdam, Staff very Helpful. What more could you want for short weekend at Price Paid. Brill and if we do return will definately go for this hotel again.

Room Tip: Request Overlooking Street for Better View
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DONNA65
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Yes, indeed, our hotel is very well situated so close to the Central Station and main attractions. We were sorry to learn that you found the restaurant a bit expensive and that therefor you did not try our Dutch specialties. We look forward to welcoming you again

Rene R.F. Wildeman
General manager

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Last weekend been to Amsterdam for Gay Parade. Had a fantastic time at Roode Leeuw.Food was perfect and service good, as we may expect! We are happy we found you're place. Keep up the good work! lots of greetz from France

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger M

We were happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay. The Gay Parade is always a fantastic event and our hotel is just minutes away from the canals where the parade is passing. Actually we are sponsor of a boat ourselves also.
We hope to see you again next year
With best regards
Rene R.F. Wildeman

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel pretends to be many things that it is not, and can do so by virtue of its central location. I stayed here for 7 nights in July and had a multitude of unpleasant experiences: hair in the 'fresh' towels, a front desk person snatching a personal electronic device of our hands because we asked about a WiFi connection code, a daily breakfast at the outrageous cost of 15 euros that included nothing that would ever let you get your money's worth, and perhaps my favourite part, being sent out of the hotel for entering with some flemish (french) fries. In a hotel with rules that do not allow guests overnight, but allow escorts, it was a bit strange for me to have the hand of the porter thrown into my face and sent out for holding some flemish fries -- not asked to finish them outside, not with a please or thank you -- but told I was forbidden to enter and sent out. With the exception of one incredibly kind young lady at the front desk, we were universally treated rudely. It took nearly 15 minutes to process our check-out and we were the only ones at the desk. Finally, we checked-out before the restaurant opened that included the breakfast we pre-paid, so we were given doggie bags --- rather than not being charged -- that included sandwiches with cheese that had hardened completely in the fridge overnight and...a Mars bar. Also, I would contest claims to quietness inside the hotel -- any noise made in the hallway is perfectly audible in the room and the doors slam quite loudly. Location is prime, but experience is absolutely not elegant.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mattmarx
De_Roode_Leeuw, General Manager at Hotel Amsterdam - De Roode Leeuw, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

It is with regret that I learned that we could not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologize for that. We do not pretend anythihg but our goal is to make the stay of our guests a most pleasant one. As you can learn from nearly all other reviews, our staff gets many compliments for their helpfulness and friendliness. Our property strictly applies the HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) rules and therefor do not allow guests to bring food from outside. This is not a rule to enoy our guests but is necessary for hygienic and pest control reasons. Besides, especially french fries give a smell that a hotel does not wants to have in its corridors and rooms. We are sorry that the employee did not tell you this with more tact. No guest is obliged to take breakfast in our restauant but the cost of € 15.-- is the lowest of all hotels in our category, where most hotels charge more than € 20.-- and the choice we offer justifies that price.
I regret that you have not complained directly to me during your stay as I have always an open ear for our guests.
René Wildeman, General Manager