“Great Hotel”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #83 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed January 11, 2006

I cant rate this hotel highly enough.
Me and my my boyfriend stayed here over new year and had a great time.
The location is good, about 5 mins from Central Station. We were easliy able to walk everywhere.
The staff cant do enough to help and advise you (and they even sent home a jumper I had accidentally left in the hotel room after we left, free of charge!)
If you miss the breakfast in the dining room, it continues to be served in the bar.
The rooms are very nice and clean and we had a good view of the canal from our window.
I would reccomend a stay here and will definatly be returning.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank Ali86
Write a ReviewReviews (3,482)

Reviewed December 31, 2005

The location of this hotel was fantastic but as with any chain, you aren't getting the adventure of trying a local hotel. It is right near the train station and walking everywhere is a breeze. We were able to briefly see everything we wanted to see by foot in the three nights we stayed. it wasn't as nice as most Marriotts -- which I almost always like. The room itself was fine but the bathroom was nothing but basic. The hotel was always full of activity, which doesn't bother me but made it difficult to get in touch with the concierge.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank Recent_TravelerCinci
Reviewed December 24, 2005

I have stayed at this hotel 6-7 time over the past couple years with my most recent stay November 2005. It has never failed to deliver a consistent product.

It is a 5-6 minute easy walk to the central train station, has a very good Concierge Lounge offering a good breakfast as well as complimentary alcohol and appetizers in the evening.

The corridors are quite long and twisted at some points making the walk from registration to your room seem forever, however once there the rooms are functional and basic.

I have stayed in far nicer Marriott/Renaissance properties, but the condition of this leave nothing really to complain of. They beds are comfortable, water pressure fine as well as the size of the room.

The location of the hotel is also quite nice. Immedicately to the right outside the hotel are several restaurants and cafes along the canal and easy walking to shopping.

Overall, a good value if you can get rates in the 129-159 Euro range.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank schrap2755
Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed November 21, 2005

I very much enjoyed staying at the Amsterdam Renaissance. I have stayed there many times. I find the location to be perfect. It is within walking distance to Centraal Station, trams, canal boats and the Metro. Taxis are usually cued up in front of the hotel, especially in morning and dinner time.

The rooms are above average and exceptionally clean. Rooms that face the street do pick up some street noise but it’s unavoidable. The hotel is a bit expensive when compared to some surrounding hotels, but you get value for what you pay for.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The concierge desk is always ready to help, as well as the Guest Services Managers, Bronwyn and Christopher.

Water pressure and plenty of hot water makes for a very comfortable shower.

There are several restaurants in the hotel. Current security measures cause you to have to go outside the hotel to use the Koppel Café, but its no big deal unless its raining hard.

Marriott Elite members have use of the Club lounge on the 6th floor. It serves a complimentary continental breakfast daily, including weekends and generous evening refreshments. I must say that this is one of the nicest Club Lounges I have ever used. There is free use of the lounge computer to check e-mails and web sites. They just ask that you are reasonable on sharing time with others.

My only disappointment with this hotel is that the heating and air conditioning are sometimes difficult to regulate. On hot summer days, the air conditioning feels week to me. On cold winter days, the heat is very strong, but I tend to like my room cooler than most people. The hotel will not provide you with a lot of old world charm. It is a business oriented hotel what you might be accustomed to in the United States.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2005

Just returned from a weekend in Amsterdam and had a very pleasant stay at the Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel. Ideal location, large rooms, great breakfast buffet and very attentive/friendly staff.

The concierge & bell staff were especially helpful. They recommended tasty restaurants and were able to get us last minute reservations on a Friday and Saturday night. The bellman went so far as to walk us up to the right street to get to the Indonesian restaurant. Haven't experienced that before.

We would defintely stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed November 9, 2005

I have read many of the reviews on here and I beg-to-differ with them. This is a very nice hotel.

Yes, the rooms are not as spacious as the Trump Towers but you have to remember this is in Europe not New York. The amenities and accommodations are set to their standards not Americas.

Upon check in they were very accommodating and expeditiously got us into our room and were more than happy to assist with exchanging currency. We did meet a very nice young man at the front desk named Michael, he was very helpful as to local information and etiquette. He even went so far as to escort us around town for one evening. As far as the Doorman and Concierge never had a moments pause to speak with and ask them for any assistance.

The hotel is located centrally and is in walking distance to many of the major area attractions. Kepping this in mind the rates are very reasonable.

We had an absolute joy of a time in Amsterdam and are returning in November of 2005 and will definitely stay here again. Actually already have our return reservations.

• Stayed: June 2003
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 10, 2005

For a 5 star hotel I expected better accommodations and better treatment. (The London Marriott Kensington the week before had been such a delight).
Pros: location, housekeeping staff
Cons:Holiday Inn-ish rooms, abrupt front desk, concierge and doormen

Upon check in, my bathroom had a extremely strong urine odor. I contacted housekeeping immediately and they hand cleaned the toilet area. The smell was still there several hours later, albeit less so, when they called to check at which point they sent someone with a steaming machine. I'm glad to report that this did the trick otherwise I would have required another room.

The housekeeping staff have been responsive and attentive. The front desk, doormen and concierge have been curt, abrupt but polite. They have not gone out of their way to make us feel welcome that's for sure. The front desk has a problem with picking up the phone. I must have called 3 times before I finally reached someone. Concierge kept interrupting me when I was trying to ask questions, as if he couldn't spare the time.

I needed a taxi one day and the doormen behaved as if he were doing me a favor. The taxi driver told me he had been waiting several hours for a more worthy fare to the airport and did not hide his unhappiness that my ride was only going to yield 8 Euros. According to him, the doorman can pick and choose the taxis waiting in the rank because they get paid part of fare by the taxi driver.....what a racket!

For 309 Euros per night was a big disappointment. If you can get the rooms for 100 Euros a night, as some reviewers have, then I say go for it. Otherwise keep your expectations low. My husband and I have traveled a lot and sorry to say this has not been one of our most memorable experiences.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business