“Nice location”

Ranked #84 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tampa, Florida
“Nice location”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Hotel was located walking distance from a lot of museums, parks, and dining options. All areas of the city are very accessible from this location. The room was comfortable and clean.

Paying nearly 20 euros for wifi was a joke and the 8 euro "economy" wifi was terrible. I drove a car which turned out to be expensive to park, 58 euro a night. Also, finding the hotel with all of the construction out front was more difficult than I expected. A heads up on some of these things would have been nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Taylor K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Plano
Reviewed July 12, 2014

the hotel is nice enough and it was clean, it is just simple and in an area that has horrible construction. I would give it 4 stars but feel that we should have been warned about the construction prior to our arrival. I can't believe that many travel sites have this hotel listed as a 5 star hotel. they have no pool or spa. The rooms were tiny, but perhaps a little larger than typical for Europe. No robes in the rooms. view was nothing from our room and the the hallways were dank. I just can't give this more than 3 stars as I would expect FAR more for a Renaissance, and especially one with a 5 star status.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere until construction is complete.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert H
RenaissanceTeam, Assistant Front Office Manager at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor. I was disappointed to learn of your experiences with regards to the construction outside the hotel, the size of the room and that we did not have bathrobes in your room upon arrival. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.
I hope you will give us a chance and visit us again in the future so that we can convince you of our high level of service.We invite you to send us an email to renaissance.amsterdam@renaissancehotels.com, so that we will be able to give you the extra attention during your next stay.

With best regards,
Your Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel Team
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Hotel is nicely tucked off the busy street unto a quiet side street. Its location is a convenient starting point for exploring Amsterdam on foot or utilizing the City transportation with nearby tram stop. In the near neighborhood there is a variety of restaurants both for
cuisine and cost. The fancier the hotel partner in this group the more you pay for the niceties like Wifi and breakfast. However, free WiFi was available in the Lobby. Overall, we enjoyed our three-night stay at the Renaissance Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I had two stays at his hotel in the same week. First was on my own at the end of a business trip. Room was pleasant and nicely organized. The concierge was very helpful in providing direction to a dinner that had been scheduled with work colleagues. The hotel is a fantastic location as not only close to Central Station but is next to the main stop for all the trams which are the best way to travel throughout the city. I left my bag at the hotel and went to meet my family for the first part of a holiday only to return five days later.

When I returned with the family the four of us had a large family room that was exactly the size we had hoped with two large beds. There was plenty of room for our suitcases along with a very spacious bathroom.

Also when we checked in the lady at the front desk provided some baked Dutch treats for the kids, which was much appreciated as we were late arriving. This was a nice touch.

As a Platinum Member we had access to the Club Lounge for breakfast, which was well stocked with a variety of types of food.

We did utilize the concierge a couple of times of advise and received reasonable but not wonderful assistance as one person was excellent but the other not so informed regarding dining options.

We watched the World Cup at the hotel bar one night and the bar tender/waiter was very friendly and pleasant.

Lastly the last morning when we were leaving the lady at the breakfast area went out of her way to ask about our stay and what we enjoyed in Amsterdam.

We were made to feel very welcome and I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Highly recommended albeit a little expensive.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank WhitelawK
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here with our two children ages 7 and 9. We got a family room, and it was very spacious and comfortable. Much bigger than I expected! The hotel itself is very nice, the staff very helpful and it was a great location near central station and trams to get anywhere in the city very easily. We also had access to the lounge and they were great with our kids. The staff even brought out a special dessert plate for the kids one night as a special treat. Will absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Middleburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed here recently with good rate including WiFi and breakfast. Check-in staff very welcoming, lucky to have a room right away. Room cosy, breakfast copious, and staff very accommodating. The shower/bath faucett and temperature selection need some redesigning, not user friendly. Construction outside the hotel ongoing, but forewarned at check-in so no surprises. Best thing about this hotel is the location on the Western Canals - close to train station, but far enough from the crazy party scene. Here it is a short stroll to Amsterdam Centraal, and one can walk all the way down to the Museumplein or Leidseplein. Plenty of restaurants and cafes in the surrounding areas, although pretty touristy. For better restaurants, venture into the Jordaan area further west.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Having 300+ points with Marriott I would have expected better room at a Renaissance. The room was tiny. In fact the tiniest room I have ever had in any hotel ever. There was about 12 inches between the bed and the desk and TV stand at the very most. I had to lift my baggage over the bed just to get it on that side of the room. The second problem was the noise from the street all night long was incredibly loud. I couldn't even imagine if my wife was on this trip as we would have had to find a new hotel. The location is fantastic and walking distance to Central Station and lots of the things you want to see. I absolutely love Amsterdam from the history to the people watching to the architecture of the buildings. Its amazing but I think I would find a different hotel next time because of the room size. In fairness, I don't know if all the rooms were that way but I know for sure mine was and it really turned me off. I have stayed at the Hilton before and it was great so might go back there next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
RenaissanceTeam, Executive Assistant at Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your comments on Trip Advisor. We were very sorry to learn that your guest room was not according to your expectation and we offer you our sincere apologies for the inconviences caused. You love our central location and Amsterdam with all it's beautiful history and architecture and hope you will give us a chance and visit us again in the future so that we can convince you of our high level of service. We invite you to send us an email to renaissance.amsterdam@renaissancehotels.com, so that we will be able to give you the extra attention during your next stay.
With best regards,