“Always stay here”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #81 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I always stay at the The Renaissance when in Amsterdam. I am a Platinum member of the Marriott Rewards program, so that has some influence on my decision of where to stay, but the location of the Renaissance is outstanding. It is a four block walk to the train station and is close to lots of great shopping and restaurants. Additionally, you can get on the tram just a block or so away. Their service is very, very good. The amenities are what you would expect from an upscale property. The club lounge is outstanding with comfortable seating and great views of the street below. The food in the restaurant is pretty decent, too. I needed some help with booking a train trip to Dusseldorf while I was there, and their Guest Services department really exceeded my expectations with their assistance on that.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance in Amsterdam July 19, 2013. The hotel was very, very nice. It is centrally located, we were comfortable walking distance through town. The room was beautiful, quite large. Great bathroom, shower had great pressure. We had free wi-if, and the breakfast in the priority lounge was huge!...loved it there and looking forward to returning.

1  Thank chenalive
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. It's in the perfect location. We have been to Dam before, and this is definitely the best location, it's a few minute walk from all the main streets and station, lots of shops around. Its right near the canal. Its only half an hour stroll from the museums, 10 min from Ann Frank. If you like coffee shops, there are a few good ones right on the doorstep.
The hotel is impressive, the lobby is nice, the rooms lovely (We had a guest room, with a much better deal online rather than the price quoted from the hotel direct) it had a massive bed, little table and chairs, and desk. The bathroom was very small and basic but nice, shower good.
The things that let it down were that on day 1 we didn't have any milk or spoons in our room. My partner went to reception the ask for some, where he got sent to the restaurant, and was handed the little room milks. The next day, we still had no milk, but some stirrers, again my partner went and asked for some milk and was told to go to the shop. We just wanted a cup of tea. The same day we asked for some dressing gowns in the room (it said all the rooms had them online). They never appeared. The room has climate control, but it didn't seem to work, it was always cold even though it had 'heating'. The only english channels on the tv are bbc 1 and 2 and news. You have to pay for wifi anywhere except the lobby.
We agreed we would eat in the hotel restaurant once on our stay, so we went to get a table at 6.30. We were sat waiting for someone the seat us for quite a long time. The restaurant is nice and has an open kitchen. My bf who is a chef loved this. He ordered a pizza and chips and I ordered the red snapper. We were told the pizza takes a long time to make. So the pizza arrived, and a dish in front of me that was not red snapper. I asked what it was and the waitress said bream (I purposely didn't order this as it cost more, and i didn't like anything it came with). When I told the waitress (who was very friendly) her response was 'but you ordered bream....' I didnt want to a fuss or to wait for it to be changed so I left it as it was. At some point half way through my bfs chips arrived. When I was on my last mouthful the same waitress asked if I wanted some different veg, I got some cold asparagus. The meal wasnt even changed over on the bill, so I had to pay the more expensive price for a bit of fish and cold asparagus. Not very impressed. Over all I really dont see why this is a 5 star, the hotel is lovely but no one is very friendly and the service no where near to the level you expect. They got alot wrong. It was such a hassle to just make a cup of tea. And they never re stocked the mini bar. Will probably stay at the Crown Plaza across the road next time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a well located modern hotel, within a walking distance of the main railway station. True, it is not in the heart of the city on the main square, but most things are walkable and a tram station is very near by.

We stayed 5 nights in the hotel. During our first night we were placed in a room facing the street and the tram sounds woke us up at 6am. We asked to move to a more quite room and where offered a room facing the courtyard, which was perfectly fine for us. Needless to say there isn't too much of a view from from this room, but there is also no disturbing sounds.

People with prams or heavy luggage might also wish to consider asking for room in the main building to avoid the couple of steps one need to climb up or down when passing between the buildings.

The rooms themselves are medium sized but good for a couple.

Breakfast buffet was quite big and offered a well rounded choices of foods.

All in all, good value for money

Room Tip: To avoid the tram noise, choose a room facing the courtyard. To avoid stairs in the hallway, ask for...
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Very close to the train station, and not too far from the airport, the Renaissance Hotel was a nice hotel for the two nights we stayed in AMS. The beds were comfortable and the room had all the usual comforts known to the brand.

We used Marriott points and everything was set up when we arrived. The front desk staff was extremely helpful in assisting us with shopping excursions and tour idea. The bartenders went well above the call of duty to assist me in connecting wifi to the internet.

Room Tip: ask for a room with an exterior view.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance Hotel for 2 nights - 9th & 10th August on a hen weekend. There were 6 of us in total in 3 rooms and all rooms were lovely and clean, well maintained and what you would expect for a decent business hotel. Breakfast buffet was included and was good with plenty of choice. The hotel has a lovely bar area with relatively reasonably priced drinks. Check in and out was easy but check your bills as 2 of our rooms were charged with items from the mini-bar that we hadn't had - apparently if you touch anything up it goes on your bill. These items were removed with no fuss by reception staff who were all helpful at all times - very professional. The hotel is 10 mins stroll from the station and another 10 mins to the Dam square. The hotel staff are happy to arrange a taxi if you are going further afield. Loved this hotel and Amsterdam and a great (and dignified!) time was had by all.

Room Tip: Don't expect much of a view from any rooms!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great business hotel, very friendly staff, nice gym ,great location Very nice lobby
Easy to walk to any part of town, Very close to the Railroad Station and many tourist attractions
Wonderful Breakfast although a bit costly .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple