“Good Hotel - Great Location”

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel
Ranked #86 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel at the end of February 2013. I was only staying the night prior to taking a flight the following morning. For that reason, I considered staying at a hotel near the airport. Since this airport is a short train ride from Schiphol Airport and a short walk from Centraal Station, I decided to stay here. I am very glad I made that decision.

It is a short walk from Centraal Station, but it is really in the middle of everything. After arriving in the early evening at the hotel, I took a walk to find dinner. The number of restaurants in the area is amazing. The hotel is near a few streets that are only open to pedestrians. These streets typically have several restaurants and stores on them. I really cannot say enough about the location of the hotel. It is truly in the middle of everything that Amsterdam offers (both good and bad). The hotel is not far from boats offering canal rides, museums, and the infamous red light district.

The hotel itself was quite comfortable. The staff was professional and courteous and offered assistance on restaurants or other places to eat. The hotel has its own restaurants, but I like to explore dining outside the hotel setting. My room was nicely decorated and in good physical condition. The room also had a work station where with internet access where I could get some work done. The bathroom has plenty of hot water and nice amenities. The executive lounge has a good selection of coffee, tea, water, and soft drinks as well as fresh fruit. The fitness center has several cardio machines for those wanting to take some time to work out.

My only regret is that I could not spend more time here. I got up early in the morning, checked out, and walked back to the train station to begin my journey home. If I have the opportunity to visit Amsterdam in the future, I would like to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Greg A

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Reniassance Amsterdam for 2 nights (Feb 8 & 9) and were thrilled with the experience. This hotel ticks all the boxes. The hotel is visually stunning and the rooms are attractively decorated. The location is wonderful and is very convenient to the Central Station. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome by everyone we met, the doorman, the clerk at the reception and the cleaning person we encountered in the hall by our room. The room was large by European standards and immaculate. We were on an Executive floor and appreciated the robes and bottled water in the room. There is nightly turn down service and more water and linens provided. We would like to thank Francia in the executive lounge for her hospitality and for saving us some dessert when we returned from dinner in the evening. She also offered good restaurant suggestions and made reservations for us.

1  Thank GretaCargo
Reviewed February 27, 2013

By way of introduction, we travel extensively, although more to the Caribbean than Europe. We are U.S., fit, in our early 50's. Thus a property like this Ren was chosen over say, the Crowne Plaza which only has one treadmill in their fitness rooms. The Ren's rooms are small, even though we opted for the larger, church view room. Those that have made comment that this room is noisier are correct, especially over the weekends when the drunks are out trolling the Red light district and believe that they are alone in the universe! Ah, such is travel!

We opted for their buffet breakfast, which while good, we would not do again. There are plenty of cheaper eating options around, but certainly not a bad deal if you don't want to search!

The housekeeping kept the room spotless and the turndown service was a nice touch. But typical of Dutch service, even though we requested extra towels via the virtual concierge, that never appeared either!

The big selling point is the location as you are within walking distance of most of the downtown Amsterdam attractions.

We generally only apply one standard to a hotel or cruise ship line, which is, would we come back? In this case, yes, the Ren is a safe, good choice, especially if it's your 1st time in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: avoid the church side, don't pay for wifi as it is around for free!
1  Thank epsonman1
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed in this fantastic hotel for 4 nights bed and breakfast. The staff were so friendly ,helpful and attentive. The moment you arrived the doorman greeted you with a smile, you were then met by the Navigators, one of whom I think was called Israel. He was so kind and helpful and so knowledgable it was a joy to talk to him and ask him questions about where to visit and explore. The breakfast was delicious everything you could possibly think of to eat for breakfast was available. I can not think of one thing that was not readily available. The housekeeper on our floor (5th) was lovely, so pleasant and helpful. The room was immaculate every day on our arrival back from our visits. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a little luxury and being made to feel special. Luxury at its best!!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed at this property a few times now and have not found one issue to complain about. I travel for work, around 200 nights a year and this property is one of the best hands down. The staff are always there to offer assistance at every turn and always with a smile. The location cannot be beat. It is a short walk to the Amsterdam Central train station (3 blocks) and provides a great starting point for most any central Amsterdam destinations. If you are looking for museums, canal tours, the red light district, even the Zoo this location allows for a easy walk or bike ride to most central city sight seeing destinations. There are plenty of great places to eat as well within a few minutes walk or the hotel's restaurant has some pretty good food as well. The rooms are typical European in size but they do have some larger rooms as well if you need the space. If you want a quieter night, ask for one of the inner rooms as the outer rooms can sometimes provide a little more street noise at times. All in all there are few properties in the central Amsterdam area that can provide the level of comfort, service and overall experience of the Renaissance Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Inner rooms are tend to be quieter but lack any real view. Higher floors tend to have slightly larg...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near the central station. The rooms are not very big but are comfortable and clean. The staff is pleasant and helpful. The breakfast is great. The internet is quite slow and at least in my room cut out quite often. The gym has a few treadmills and bicycles.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went on a brief trip to Amsterdam for a wedding, this hotel was chosen by the bride for some of her guests. It is 5 minutes walk from Central Station, very central, and hidden down a quiet side street.

The room was not big but smart and well furnished. It was very quiet. The staff were first class and the atrium of the hotel is impressive.

My only advice would be to check if your breakfast is included. If not, it is 28 euros for a cooked breakfast which is a lot, no matter how good their bacon is (and its good).

I would recommend this as a good hotel for anyone visiting Amsterdam.