“Good location..nice rooms..” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
khobar
“Good location..nice rooms..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I spent three nights at the hotel for a business trip to Holland. The hotel is modern with an elegant lobby. Thing I have liked about this hotel:
• Location! It was very close to all attraction areas and most importantly to the central station as I had to take the train to the Hague a couple of times.
• Rooms: They were spacious considering being in Amsterdam..Nice views of the City.
• I loved the bed; it was very comfortable.
• Every concierge I dealt with was very friendly and extremely expert of the city…food, transportation, etc.
Things I didn’t like about the hotel:
• While some of the front desk staff were friendly and smiling all the time, others were absolutely not! They just lacked that welcoming charm!
• Check in was a nightmare for me. The first time I got to the hotel they told me you are early come back at 1 pm (Well, I was early). So I came back at 3 not 1 after a long walk from the center of the city, and they told me it wasn’t ready. I didn’t get to go inside my room until later that day!
• Bathroom’s selection of toiletries was extremely poor and disappointing. There was almost nothing!
Still, all of the above negative points are considered minor and can be fixed.
If I ever go back to Amsterdam, I will probably stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank nawafe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed here again in June 2012 and had not stayed here in years. My room was large and in very nice condition for a comfortable but short stay. The desk in the room was very comfortable for working and the internet worked well.

Had breakfast on the first floor and the service and quality of food was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank IlliniRon
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

This hotel is extremely convenient to the central station, the rooms are reasonably sized by European standards and the beds are comfortable. So, as long as the room price is reasonable, I recommend it. However, it definitely has some issues: the internet is pathetically slow, some of the staff are less than attentive and the lounge is truly mediocre with the staff in the lounge often seeming unfriendly. Moreover, as a platinum Marriott member I have to say this is just about the worst breakfast in a lounge I have ever had at a full service Marriott and the evening service is also mediocre - maybe even worse than the breakfast. They really need to upgrade the Internet, the lounge food and lounge staff.

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank gic1953
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed for three nights, using Marriott points and absolutely loved the location. It is close to all the great sights in Amsterdam. The concierge was always helpful and we purchased tickets to many sights from him. The room was typical Marriott/Renaissance, with very comfy beds and a large sized room. The only downside was the Club Lounge...it was always very busy...but the food selection was very small and never replenished. A step down from most of the Club Lounges around the world. The staff at the hotel was very helpful and we would stay here again in a moment.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Hotel is great! Great location but if you are a day sleeper, make sure you do not get a room near the "staff only" quarters. Very loud, carts banging into walls. Get an ending even room number!..trust me on this!

Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We loved our stay at the Renaissance! It was walking distance to the Central station, walking distance to the Anne Frank museum and we took a tram ride (one block away) to the Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum and Flower market. Our room had 2 double beds and while I can't say it was large and roomy, it was adequate for a family of four.

The Staff were all very friendly and accommodating especially Michael at check-in, who was so welcoming and made us laugh and feel at home immediately, helpful Ahmed at the concierge desk, Nurul, who waited on us at the hotel's Koepelcafe at lunch and who could not do enough for us, Vivian et al at breakfast frequently checked on us and made sure we had everything we needed. BTW, awesome breakfast at the restaurant!

A room at the Executive or Concierge floor is HIGHLY recommended- Wi-fi, hot/cold beverages/ wine, snacks, afternoon tea, dinner including bitter balls ( tasted like chicken pot pie rolled in bread crumbs and crispy fried!), chicken wings, sandwiches etc..great, GREAT value! Most of the staff were kind and attentive at the lounge except for an older, dark skinned lady who was borderline rude and less accommodating than the others. Otherwise, our stay was perfect! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The beds at the hotel were wonderful - very comfy and cozy. Our room had two queen size beds which was perfect for us and our 2 daughters. The room was very clean. I usually do not like hotel rooms but this one was quite nice. The bellman and the concierges were delightful and very helpful. The club room was a great plus - the continental breakfast was great and our daughters being able to have a Pepsi when we came in was an added bonus. FYI - if you order a coke in Amsterdam - 95% of the time it is Pepsi. One night we had dinner in the bar and the bartender needed more help- I don't think they planned on that many people watching the Eurocup, however he did a good job.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family