“Call before you book”

Ranked #78 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
New Jersey, USA
“Call before you book”
Reviewed December 11, 2006

We stayed in the Amsterdam Marriott for 4 days in early Dec. We had 2 rooms on the third floor that were down the hall from each other. Most nights both rooms were awakened by the sounds of construction during the night. One room had a flood in the bathroom from the room above that was fixed quickly.

One morning the elevators didn't work for about 30ish minutes. To be fair to the hotel they are in the middle of renovation.

I have stayed in Marriott properties for many years and in many countries. This was by far the worst one I've ever stayed in. As I stated though, they are renovating.

If you plan on using this hotel I suggest you call ahead and see if they have finished the work. Also if you need to stay there soon, you should ask for a new room.

If I return to Amsterdam I will choose another location and check on the status of the Marriott while in the city.

The location is good and the tram stops outside the door. The hotel restaurant is overpriced (like all hotel resaurants) but there are a number of other choices within a few minutes walk.

I took no pictures since it would be unfair to the hotel to show rooms that will soon be updated.

• Liked — The area the hotel is located in
  • Disliked — The worn/old rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Call to check if the reconstruction is complete
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Harrald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed November 13, 2006

Very little to fault with this hotel. Fantastic location on the Leisesplein near various museums, bars and the lovely VondelPark. Reception staff were brilliant and very helpful. The room was very nice with a very comfortable bed and pillows. The property is slightly dated, but everything is tidy and didn't detract from my stay. Would stay here again.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Slightly old looking but perfectly serviceable
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank monkeybot
Bree
Reviewed November 11, 2006

Visited the Amsterdam Marriott hotel for the Amsterdam Marathon on 15 October but made a reservation from Friday 13/10 till Monday 16/10 to also do some sightseeing & shopping!

Location of the hotel is great, close to museums (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Heineken Experience,...) and the Leidse Plein with many restaurants & bars. It's also the shortest tram station for the lines 1,2 and 5. The nice Vondelpark entrance is just a 1 minute walk from the hotel. I did some fine morning runs through the park during my stay.

Check-in was easy and friendly, also very helpful staff!

The room I got (#538) was ok, it was large with a good & very comfortable king-size bed. The room had a good sized tv, airconditioning, small mini-bar, large safe!
I had a view on the Amsterdam roofs and the Vondelpark trees. Nice thing about the room is you could open the window!
I had a quiet room because it was the last room on the fifth floor (see picture), so no noises from elevators or noisy guests in the hallway. Also no noises from the street below!

The bathroom/toilet was another thing! It needed some updating, looked very warn!
It had a bath/shower combination, the amenities where the usual things: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath gel, soap and mouth wash!
Enough towels where provided.

Breakfast-buffet in the "Quoy" restaurant was excellent, much better than the ones I had in the Brussels or Frankfurt Marriott's!
Very large selection of continental and full English, everything very fresh (breads, juices,...), the cook made all your wishes reallity, don't miss the delicious pancakes he makes!!!
The staff at the restaurant was very courteaus and helpfull to serve!

I also had a pizza in the Pizza Hut restaurant in the hotel and it was really good. No fast-food style in this Pizza Hut, it was more like a decent pizza/grill restaurant!

The fitness/sauna downstairs open 24 hours looked great, spacious and had very much and nice equipment. I didn't use the fitness or sauna but it's nicer to do some exercising in the Vondelpark!
I looked regulary in the fitnessroom and it mostly looked empty.

Overall a good hotel, on some points a bit dated! Close to many things, good rooms & services.
I would stay here again next time visiting Amsterdam!

Some tip: the hotel entrance & parkgarage is a bit dificult to get to (it's a one way street), you have to drive around the hotel coming from the Stadhouderskade, take a left or right (wich way your coming from) into the Tesselskadestraat, drive this way to the end of the street, then take a right (Vondelstraat), the hotel entrance/parkgarage is on your rightside!

Ohh....also had a good run on sunday, but that review is for another site ;-)

• Liked — Location and the excellent breakfastbuffet
  • Disliked — Dated bathroom
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
7 Thank JohBe
walnut grove, ca
Reviewed October 18, 2006

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights starting Sept. 29th. We requested a canal view, no smoking, guaranteed late arrival.
We arrived at the hotel from the airport around 10:30 at night.
When I asked about our room being a canal room I was told that there were none available. I informed the clerk that we had requested a canal room she informed us that because we had were arrived late and it was no longer available. I showed her my
confirmation sheet and she suddenly found us a canal room.
I was tired but very polite. I asked if I could get a bell person to with our luggage we were told, no one was available. We took our luggage in two trips . Our room turned out to be smoking and there were cigarette
butts all over the little balcony and the room reeked of cigarettes.
As it was the beginning of our trip, I just decided to not make a big deal out of it and let it go. The bed was wonderful and very well appreciated. The location was great and was the meeting place for the tour we were to go on so we decided to make do.
The next morning we ate breakfast (included in the room rate)
in the dining room, it was excellent. Much to my surprise when I happened to check our account on the TV set, they had charged us an additional 25 euros for breakfast. I went downstairs with my confirmation and they removed the charge. The second day they did it again and I went down and they removed it. By the third day I had let them know I was more than a little irritated. We spent almost $900 for a lousy stay. I would not recommend this hotel. There are much better choices. We have had much better rooms and most importantly service at every other Marriott, including Courtyard Marriotts we have stayed at. A disapointment

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Terrible service
  • Tips/Secrets — There are a lot of other choices
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gottogonow
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed October 5, 2006

Nice enough hotel, but the place is not quite up to Marriott's US standards. For Europe, the rooms are good size, and so is the bathroom. However, the towels were somewhat low quality and not as big as expected. The shower is European, which means it appears as an afterthought in a deep tub, and the bathroom is what gave me the feeling that this should not have been a Marriott but maybe a Fairfield Inn. The bed however was outstanding! Rooms and bathrooms are nice and clean. The lobby is quite nice, with a free coffee dispenser in the corner (mornings only) - no coffee in the room. Staff is nice and helpful. Internet is around 25 Euro per day.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed September 2006
3 Thank DX-Traveler
California
Reviewed October 5, 2006

My brother and I stayed at the Marriott on the last night of our 14 day trip through Europe. It has a great location for those who like to party at night, roam through a beautiful part nearby, or to gamble at the casino across the street. But the Marriott is an old hotel and the bathrooms have a lower class quality to them. The room in the tub was uncomfortable for shower space in fact, and I smelled mildew as I entered the bathroom. The rooms are small by US standards and about twice as expensive. On the plus side, the elevators were very efficient, the staff were very helpful (assisting us to change rooms --though the second room was identical to the first), the rooms are stocked with beverages and snacks (though expensive if you partake), the interior noise level was minimal, there was free fruit near the elevators and free copies of the USA Today made available, and there they had rooms with 2 double beds (a rarity). The restaurant on the premises was expensive (above 25 Euros a meal).

• Liked — The two double beds
  • Disliked — Poor shower area
  • Tips/Secrets — consider an upgrade of the room if any are available
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 2, 2006

Myself and my wife stayed for 2 nights in the Marriott in late august and found it to be excellent. On arrival we found the staff very friendly and only to happy to help.The room and bathroom was as you would expect ,spotless and well stocked.Something not often seen in rooms but as important as the toilet was an ironning board and iron,very very handy.We had breakfast to the room which was plentiful if not a bit expensive, but the place makes you want to treat yourself . As i said the staff were only to happy to help with directions to attractions or if needed sold 24 hr tram tickets which we used and found great.Best value and only 2 tram stops away from the hotel was the Heineken Brewery,€10 admission, a must.Also only about 200mts from the hotel was the canal cruise which lasted about 75min also a must.The Redlight district is another must see if your inclined,tacky but part of the tourist trail.As i have said trams are good value and regular ,and 2min from hotel at the buzzing Leidseplein area.We took the connexion shuttle from the airport to the hotel which would cost €11 one way €19 return,and found it slow with long waiting time and little order once a mini bus did show,this was the one down side of the weekend.We took a taxi back which cost €30 and had us at the airport in 15 min,however next time it will be train to central station and tram to hotel(no 1/2/or5)as the public transport is exellent.All said the hotel was first rate ,very comfortable and in an exellent location,a big upside to Amsterdam is everyone without exception speaks english, its unreal.I hope you find this information of use,enjoy Amsterdam.

• Liked — comfort and location
  • Disliked — cost of breakfast
  • Tips/Secrets — use public transport