“Great Trip”

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel
Ranked #82 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is a very beautiful hotel. The staff is great. We asked to have our room change so we could be closer to my brother and sister and their families, that was not a problem. They had answers for very question. You are can walk to a lot of shops, train and bus station.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Retired102011
There are newer reviews for Amsterdam Marriott Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were moved here when our hotel (Grand Hotel Amrath) over-booked. The architecture of the hotel is a bit bland and the rooms quite small but the service is excellent and very friendly. The free food and wine in the executive lounge in the evening were really good, though when we ordered lunch in the same the next day the price we were being asked to pay was not the same as that advertised. Location is good near the museums and a simple walk to the Olympic Stadium which is where we needed to be for the Amsterdam 8k. All-in-all, though not quite perfect, certainly very good (say 4.5 stars). The food (whether free or paid for, and including breakfast, lunch and dinner) was good. Would stay here again - though perhaps not at the room rate our original hotel ended up paying!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rich H
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have never been as mistreated by hotel staff as I was during my stay at the Marriott in Amsterdam.

The staff was incredibly rude and disrespectful to us the entire stay. We felt discriminated against the entire time based on our age, which is just disgusting. You should be ashamed of how you treat guests who pay the amount we did to stay in your so-called 5* hotel. I wouldn't give you one star based on how we were treated, especially as tourists. They took every opportunity to try to rip us off. I was charged 20 Euros to make a collect call to my credit card company just to find out that it was the hotel's machine that wasn't working, not my card. And they refused to refund me the 20 Euros. Disgusting.

I can assure you that this was my last stay ever in a Marriott. And I will ensure that my friends and families, as well as my social media followers, will be made fully aware of how poorly we were treated.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Tess R
Meredith_Opten, Executive Assistant at Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
On behalf of our General Manager, Rex Nijhof, we would like to express our regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us in October. We always aim to provide exemplary service and are disappointed to hear that this was not evident during your stay. We would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you personally and hope you will contact us at your earliest convenience in the hopes of proving ourselves a better host.

Kind regards,
Meredith Opten
+31206075500

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just retuned from a trip to Amsterdam and stayed at the Marriott for the week. The hotel is fine having recently been updated. Bed need a new lining but other then that the room is fine. Food is over priced for what you get. They turn their breakfast bar into a steakhouse by night which seems odd. It has all the charm of a breakfast room and nothing of a texas steakhouse

Better off at mono across the street. Very good.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank s b
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The rooms are standard Marriott type , but well kept., Service is decent , location is great , and really you cannot expect anything more from this Marriott.
The steak restaurant within the hotel is excellent and offers a variety of food and an excellent choice of wines.They should only work on ventilation a bit so as to make it perfect.
All in all ,one of better Marriott hotels I stayed in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jasmina t
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Quick recap - I've stayed at this property six or seven times and have always found the same problems with the bell staff and concierge staff. It's the same people I've seen for a decade and none of them seem to enjoy their job. As if helping people disrupts their day (even though that's the only thing they should be doing). Otherwise everything else about the property is fantastic including the rest of the staff, the location, rooms etc.

Pros -
Great location! Far enough outside the center to avoid the riff raff :), but close enough that's it's only a tram ride from Centraal Station. Also right next to Van Gogh and Riksmuseum, plus right at Leidseplein to grab the hop on hop off canal boat.
Large, clean, comfortable, quiet, soundproof rooms with high quality Marriott beds and bedding. (Tip - always request a Leidseplein view room :)
Excellent air-conditioning (sadly that can't be said for too many European hotels)
Great executive lounge

Cons -
Bell and concierge staff range from Indifferent to rude. They seem to hate their jobs, it's strange.
Marriott has yet to refurbish all their bathrooms with large walk in showers. I keep hoping and waiting, but this property, like most Marriott hotels, still has that annoying shower/tub combination :).
It is expensive to stay here. For about the same rate you could stay at the ultra deluxe Hotel L'Europe - but to be honest for all the positives, it's worth the price.

Full review
The front desk staff are very overworked but every time I arrive they are friendly and helpful and always try to find a great room. You should always ask for a Leidseplein view room, with a balcony. There are only a few of them so don't hold your breath, but if you get lucky, it adds a wow factor to your stay.

Amsterdam has a great tram system and there's a stop about a 3 minute walk from the hotel. The canal boats are about a 30 second walk away. The Van Gogh and Rikjmuseum are just walking distance so if you're a museum person this really is the perfect spot.

They have a steak house which is good, if not insanely overpriced. They important all their steaks from the US though so the prices match that. Otherwise the food is typical Marriott - club sandwiches, burgers, everything you expect.

The executive lounge is great. The staff has been around for years and they always remember you. Breakfast is wonderful and the free drinks and snacks at night make the experience so much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a Leidseplein room with a balcony. There are only a handful, but if you get lucky you'll...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Seaside_65
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The worst Marriott hotel so far for my international trips. The location is fine, the building looks dated, the services however were totally unsatisfactory.

There was no greeting when I got to the door with my luggage. The staff didn't offer to help me with the luggage neither. There were two ladies at the front desk with no customer. Still they were deep in their own discussion so I just stood there and waited till one of them finally looked at me. There were no greeting no smile. She asked for the passport then started to talk to another staff like I was not there. I didn't feel I was welcome there.

The room was fine for $300 per night. However the internet and breakfast were not included. There was no a piece of chocolate on the bedside. There was not a free of charge bottle of water available. I didn't realized I need to call for the bathrobe till I was done with the shower and tried to look for it. Really, what's the point to have the bathrobe available somewhere else other than in the room?

I was told I would be able to check out from the TV. Well, it didn't work on the day I was leaving. OK, I had a plane to catch and still had to go to front desk to check out. It probably was unlucky day for me. I was waiting in the elevator area for 10 minutes but none of elevators was working. Then called the front desk and was told they were having a scheduled power outage. WTH, could anyone pick a better time or communicate this out earlier.

No, I won't recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jjkittycat

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We value your experience as the most valuable tool to evaluate the high quality of service our guests expect and are sorry to hear this was not apparent during your stay. We would appreciate if you could contact us directly so that we could have the opportunity to discuss this further, in hopes of welcoming you back again to the Amsterdam Marriott.

Kind regards,