“Great Location and Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Marriott Hotel

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel
Ranked #82 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Austin, Texas
“Great Location and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I actually arrived about 7 hours before "check-in" time and they HAPPILY checked me and my companion in early, providing us with our two rooms. The view from the suites is very nice encompassing a nice panorama of the city. If you're a photography buff, then get a balcony room...I had a lot of fun out there with my tripod.

I paid for a "meal" package which included breakfast and a nightly dinner in their swank restaurant which I would not recommend(the package that is....the restaurant was great). The breakfast was decent (typical American style buffet) but at my first dinner I learned that my package did not include items from the menu and was therefore offered the choice between two "chef's selections". The food was great I have to admit, but it just felt a little exclusionary. The cheese cake was "to die for" and they happily sent it to our room after dinner. Room service quality was great and timely.

For us, the location was great. Boom Chicago is just a 5 minute walk away and right next to it, is an Ice Skating rink, a bank of ATM's, a cab stand, and the Bulldog coffee shop (although I preferred Dolphins). There are also no shortage of restaurants within easy walking distance. I would not return to the florist that is right across the street from the hotel....he had a pitiful flower selection and no vases for sale that would fit a dozen roses (fortunately the Marriott was only too pleased to provide one for me.) And highly recommend Momo's right down the street for lunch.

Oh and one last tip, if you are going to book a suite here, then do it through an agent. By using "Velvet Touch" to book my suite, it actually ended up being cheaper than my friend's "standard" room. I was a tad shocked at that.

Room Tip: This is a no smoking hotel!!! And only a few rooms have balconies. Smokers beware!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This Marriott is in a great location at the edge of the old town, which means you don't have to drive in and try to park. They have their own parking which is expensive , but convenient. Tram and boat stops are right out front which means all places are within easy access. Rooms were reasonable size and well serviced, if getting a bit on the dated side. Staff very helpful and polite. Breakfast is a full buffet with all the standard fare and not bad value for this town. Also a good place to sit and plan your day. we ate dinner at the restaurant as well. Although it was ok, it was nothing to rave about. well recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aerdenhout
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Very nIce as far as Marriotts go. Even though it has been refurbished quite some time ago, it still looks very clean. The hotel is well situated, near the Leidse Plein so close to the old center of town. Although the street is busy (trams!) the double glazing completely blocks out any noise. A nice fitness center. The staff at reception is very friendly and helpful, as are the doormen and concierge. Breakfast is quite good. The one thing that was strange is that the beds seem to be very short, especially for a hotel in Northern Europe....

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor offers some nice views, either towards the city center or the Vondelpark.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Elit0m
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Travelling through Europe and opted for the Family Room. Room was crowded with 2 beds taking up >80% of floor space. Panel was falling off from the wall and the view was of a bird faeces stained roof top. Internet access was grossly overpriced at 20 Euro per day. Was told that if I went down to the bar I could get 30mins free access if I ordered a Drink........not so good considering we were travelling with children! I was amused though that any person walking in from the street who ordered a drink could get internet access though we could not get it in our room whilst we were paying over $300 per night.

Overall the worst Marriot experience that I have ever been privy to. Parking was ridiculously expensive at 50 Euro per day!! I parked in the street out back for 36 Euro for 3 days (Including sunday)

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Murray_and_Jo
Amsnt, Executive Assistant at Amsterdam Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us in the Amsterdam Marriott Hotel. We aim to provide families the possibility of staying in one room together in hopes of offering more flexibility in room choices. We hope that you will contact the hotel directly if you decide to visit the Amsterdam Marriott Hotel again so that we can arrange an accommodation that better meets your family’s needs.

Kind regards,
Meredith Opten
Executive Assistant
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is a nice hotel in a good location - close to a lot of attractions and city centre.

The bed was very comfy. The bathroom was also well fitted out.

The hotel bar was very handy and well serviced.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chocolate85
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Marriott Amsterdam for 2 nights. Rooms are small but comfortable. Lobby is nothing special front desk staff was friendly. Location is good next to a park and restaurants. We took the blue line canal tour from across the street and enjoyed it very much. Some cruises departs from central station but we liked the one that departs from that area of town. Work out room is nice and we didn't try the restaurants. The hotel is too expensive for what you get. Very average Marriott overalls. This hotel can be in any other city there is no "Amsterdam feel" to it. It won't be my first choice dukes the rate us better. A good plus to the location is the red bus number 197 only 4 euros to and from the airport takes about 30 minutes.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank cruisenerd_9
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two children aged 3 and 6 years old for a weekend over half term. The hotel is in a good location very close to the museum area and Leidseplein. It has a spacious and modern reception/lobby area with nice fireplace and huge comfy sofas. Check in was fast and efficient.

We shared a family room, which had two king sized beds and was spacious and well equipped. Very comfortable beds (as always in Marriotts).

The huge bonus for us, which really made this a great hotel, was being able to use the Executive Lounge. This can be used if you have a Gold Marriott loyalty card (as I did) or have booked an executive room. This lounge is off the reception and free drinks and snacks are available all day. There is plenty of space with tables and sofas, plus a couple of tvs, and we found that we used it a lot with the kids. From 5pm there is free alcohol (wine, beer, etc) as well as some hot appetizer food and later dessert. Breakfast is also served here in the morning, with a great selection of hot and cold food. Overall, this really allowed us to get our money's worth!

One note on parking: it is very expensive to park with the hotel (50 euros a night) so we used the park and ride (8 euro per day including travel to centre), and got the tram to Leidseplein, from which it is a 5 minute walk. A bit more hassle, but I didn't fancy driving in the centre of Amsterdam or paying that much for parking either!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are less noisy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family