WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Amsterdam

Holiday Inn Amsterdam
Ranked #132 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Spencer, Massachusetts, United States
“Overall experience not great.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed two nights here very recently. I had a negative experience from the start when the Holiday Inn Express Shuttle from the airport promised me a ride to the Holiday Inn and then deserted me at the Holiday Inn Express. I even showed the driver the address on a piece of paper to confirm at the airport that we were going to the right building! The staff at Holiday Inn tends to separate the two hotels like they are completely different companies. As a consumer, I have no tolerance for internal corporate organizational failures. In other words, I don't care that you are not talking to each other...get your act together! I ended up being over an hour late to my meeting that I paid an extra 800 Euro for a flight to get me there ontime. Not a good start.

Once at the correct hotel (Holiday Inn, non-Express) the front desk was unapologetic for the mishap. This is no cheap hotel by the way - for a Holiday Inn it costed me 250 Euro a night. The room was mediocre with very minimal features. However, the breakfast was pretty good, probably the best part of the hotel and it's saving grace.

The WiFi really sucks with their little code coupons they give you for a 24-hour pass- 15 Euro/day for access. I've had 56k modems run faster then the wireless or even the wired connection in the room.

It is a rather short walk to the Amsterdam RAI station. Be careful though and bring exact change. The front desk left out some details on what a pain it was to navigate the station and the need for exact change - it does not take US credit cards and the machines sometimes require service, hence requiring exact Euro change. In the evening it is unmanned and the machines are flaky and confusing as well. I think I spent over an hour of confusion at the station, walking around to find change and then buying a ticket for a train that was no longer in service that night. My advice, ask lots and lots of questions at the front desk.

I paid in advance for the hotel online, nearly a month in advance, although when I went to check-out the icing on the cake was that they told me their taxes increased and that they needed more money beyond the tax I paid a month in advance for. This is yet another "not my problem" routine. Arguably, they could have eaten the tax considering I did not charge them interest on my money for a month!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kyle S
Nienke V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Kyle S,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review about our hotel. And it surroundings. I am sorry to hear that the driver of the shuttle of the Holiday Inn Express told you he would bring you to the hotel and did not in the end.

I do understand your comments about the charges of the internet and I regret the fact this has influenced your experience in a negative way. We have chosen to offer highly secured internet to our guests. Legally we are obliged to offer specifically secured internet access and we are aware this maybe different in othe public area's these days.

As of January first the city of Amsterdam has increased the tourist tax rate. I do apologise for the way this was handled at check out. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and I can imagine you are disappointed with the way we delt with your comments during your stay.

I do hope to welcome you again in the future so we can show you the level of service you expect to receive.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Whenever I travel to Amsterdam (which is quite regular), this is definately my preferred Hotel to stay at. The staff are always very friendly and helpful and on this occasion I would like to thank Ingrid for helping me out. The hotel is only a 2 minute walk from the Tram, Train and Metro station. The accomodation is also very good with quite large rooms which are always very clean. I would certainly recommend this Hotel for whether you are in Amsterdam for Business or Pleasure.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Nienke V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear barsmi_blues,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review about our hotel. We are very honoured you left such a great review. We try every day to give our guests the best service possible and it is good to know that you have noticed that.
We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Barton-le-Clay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

After a long day of delays and cancellation of our flight, easy jet put us up here for 1 night. There was a free shuttle bus service from the airport direct to the hotel, as soon as we arrived the man at reception dealt with us immediately already awaiting with our room keys. All members of staff were friendly, helpful & polite. The bedrooms were clean with basic amenities. The breakfast consisted of various breads, cereals, fruit and spreads and was very nice. Due to the nature of our stay we didn't venture out of the hotel as we were going back to the airport at 11am so I'm unsure of the location and how accessible it would be to get to the city. We used the free shuttle bus service back to the airport.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nienke V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Elegant09,

Thank you very much for writing this positive review. I am very happy ro read that you define our staf as friendly helpfull and polite. Hopefully next time you will be in Amsterdam you will have time to visit our beautifull city.

Breda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I come here for a number of years now for a couple of days at the time and it has a steady quality. Rooms, bed and bathrooms are very nice, clean and well equiped. Very friendly staff, as wel at the front desk as at the bar and restaurant. I've had dinner one time this year and unfortunatly for the first time I was dissapointed.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Nienke V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear CPelzer,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about Holiday Inn Amsterdam.

I am glad to hear you enjoy our hotel and especially it's staff and keep returning to our property.

Your comments about the dinner have been conveyed to our chef. He was dissapointed to hear this and has discussed it with his team.

We look forward to welcomming you again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Last night i stayed over at this hotel and was very happy about my stay. The hotel was very clean, nice furniture, beautiful bathroom and a comfartable boxspring bed. There is a trainstation nearby with trains, subway, busses and trams so its well connected with public transport in Amsterdam.

Last but not least was the staff. At the reception, the bar and the restaurant we were treated with a lot of care and attention. Their service definately made the experience very pleasant.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank RianvK
Nienke V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear RianvK,

Thank you very much for posting a review about our hotel.

I am glad to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments have been conveyed to our staf.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.