New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

We had a short two day trip - our fist - to Amsterdam. Chose this hotel because of location and reasonable price. One block from central train station made it great to get to and to get back to the airport. Staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Room was available even though we arrived early in the morning. Great assistance with sightseeing recommendations (the two day I Amsterdam pass was well worth it) and also restaurant recommendations. Room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We didn't hear any noise from the street. Have stayed in more luxurious rooms but this had all we needed and more. We loved Amsterdam and plan to return. Will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

We travelled in a group of 20 and despite that checking in was fast and efficient. I like the newly refurbishment of the hotel, lounge with fire place and library. The rooms are newly renovated with latest amenities, and modern design with comfort in mind. Location is central; easy assess to shops nearby. Would stay there again if in Amsterdam

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I am a regular traveller and stay in Crowne Plazas regularly. By being a regular and loyal traveller, I get good service at most Crowne Plazas - upgraded rooms etc. At the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam, after its renovation (which made this hotel a no-go zone for ages), I get the level of service that would not get me reaching for my wallet.
Nothing bad, just nothing good - no welcome back, no friendly chat, slow service and quite honestly the rooms are average - poor for a renovation.
I stay here on loyalty points, if I am paying I stay at the Radisson Blu - now they understand service.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Hawkwind1966
Salisbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I agonised re writing this - but I would want to know, so I am sharing it with you.

The hotel since my last visit is great - lots of money has been spent, the decor is fantastic - really really good, full marks.
Some of the staff are somewhere between rude and arrogant.. Stupid things at first - the shower in the room did not work, I reported it, I got the feeling I wasn't being listened to, and sure enough it still wasn't working on the 2nd moning. my key would not work on the 2nd day... no sorry for the fact I had walked all the way to the room and had to queue for it to be reset, before walking all the way back again .
A query why my Platinum membership did not get me inot the Priority Lounge (which it does it all other Crowne Plaza hotels) again no sorry - just "we don't do that." - this despite I bought the hotel 3 colleagues ..... they wanted to go to the Hilton.
Then the real cracker..... over dinner a mouse ran across the restaurant counter, where breakfast was served the previous morning. Guests screamed - the waiter just flicked it off the polished granite with his cloth - then carried on as if nothing had happened. In 30 years of business travel, some of it in very dodgy hotels I have never seen such a thing - the odd cockroach yes - but never mice in the restaurant. - I complained to reception (instantly deciding that this was not where I wanted to eat) - no sorry, more of a "that sort of thing happens all the time, do you really want to ttalk to the manager about this?" response! The manager arrived in my room and said much the same sort of thing - blaming the tunnels that are being built for the metro - he did apologise once - BUT this is not some 1* back street hotel or hostel, this is at least a 4, maybe a 5 star luxury hotel just refitted . I do not pay their rates to have mice running around the public areas of the restaurant - and if they are there I expect serious compensation - not a muttered "sorry they are everywhere". This is not good enough - and such a shame given the money that has been spent on the new fittings - mind you if they can not be bothered to look after them (faulty shower above) it is all a bit academic, as it will soon be shabby and not nice - a bit like some of the staff

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel property. We liked the hotel furnishings as much was recently upgraded. The staff was friendly and helpful for us. Location is nice in being close to Central Station and Dam Square. Because I am a Platinum member with ICH, we received a voucher for complimentary breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and a discounted price for others dining. We did eat there because of that-be aware that full price for buffet breakfast is 30 euros. It was a nice buffet.
The only complaint I have on the property is that it is noisy. We were on the first floor facing the street and heard trams and traffic all night-keeping us awake.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

This is a hotel that ticks all the boxes. If you are going to stay in Amsterdam ... stay here!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sclarkdundee
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

I was at the Crown Plaza city center for two nights; as the name says, its location is right in the city center between central station and dam square on Nwz. Voorburgwal behind the damrak.

The check in was fast and corteus; as we were a party of four, we got two rooms, one on the first floor and another one on the second floor.

We booked a superior room not on the club floor; the rooms were beautifully and modernly decorated and they were a good size, very comfortable bed, working desk, coffee and tea making facilities, large lcd TV (with hdmi connection and audio in to plug your ipod, lan) tea table and chairs. Wifi connection is quite expensive, but there is the business center with two computers connected to the internet and it's free to use. The bathroom had a tub with shower and was not that big. The heated floor was a nice touch.

The room on the first floor was overlooking the back courtyard of the hotel, so not much of a view, the second floor room instead was at the corner of the building and had a view over Nwz. Voorburgwal. Although it was overlooking the street, no noise was heard.

The lobby lounge has a modern fireplace and it's a nice place to relax or read a book.

We also used the complimentary sauna at the fitness center that is open 24h and it was great when the outside temperature was near to zero.

Breakfast was quite expensive at 30 Euros; there is a café right on the opposite side of the hotel where you can get a full american breakfast with coffee and fresh orange juice for half the price.

We asked the concierge for a restaurant suggestion, but he just handed us the card of a very touristic Dutch restaurant close to the hotel; but as it was not our first time in A'dam, we asked for something not touristic, so he didn't help that much.

For a contemporary decor, location in the middle of the action, but away from the hustle and bustle, safe area (security is also granted by the elevators that need the room key to work) the Crown Plaza is an excellent choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends