“One of the best city weekends”

Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
Ranked #26 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bath, United Kingdom
“One of the best city weekends”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Arriving in Amsterdam, Crown Plaza was very easy to find from train station, very good location, easy access to shops, restaurants and bars.
Shame was renevating other side of hotel and taking away the gym and pool, the hotel on main road there was no road noise, very clean rooms and good for the price. Staff very accommodating and friendly.
Enjoyed our 3 nights here over the easter bank holiday very relaxing and one of the best city weekends.
Recommend you pay for breakfast when booking your room, as food is quite expensive in the hotel and out, 5 euros a pint average.
Boat trip is a must and very informative 1 hour 8 euros per adult.
Van gogh museum was great, beware of long waiting time, we got there at 9.30 in morning on easter day and was already people waiting. 15 euros each adult.
Walking in the Vondel park has 3 lakes.
Beautiful buildings in Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed 2 nights over weekend and booked through the Crowne Plaza website paying about 100 euro a night excluding breakfast.

Hotel is easy walking distance to station and most of Amsterdam's main attractions. Being near to station area is probably abit questionable after dark.

To be fair the hotel is in the middle of renovations though would have been nice to know this when we booked. We were clearly given one of the unrenovated rooms. The size of the room is quite ok though the furnishings and general feeling of the room not what you would expect from a Crowne Plaza.

The bathroom in particular could have had more attention to detail when cleaning as bath in particular was badly stained.

The bar was closed due to renovation and we did not sample the breakfast at 28 euro a headinstead. I was slightly dispappointed this was not included as it clearly said that breakfast was included on the envelope they provided our room keys in though since the reception staff were the only really great thing about this hotel I couldn't be bothered arguing.

Retrospectively I probably shold have asked for another room when we checked in.

The best thing about the hotel was the reception staff who were friendly, professional and went out of the way to help you with advice on any occassion we spoke to them.

Finally my other pet peeve about booking fancy hotels I really can't be bothered paying 20 euros a day for wireless. it just feels like extaution.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Prinney
atlanta
Reviewed February 18, 2009

note: the hotel was just putting up the scaffolding to start rennovation when I left on Feb 15. It was scheduled to start on Feb 16, so I don't know how the noise will be, but it was quiet when I was there.

this one is all about location. 5 minute walk from the Centraal train station (go across the bridge by the taxi stand at the east end of the train station... the road you want is a couple blocks to the right of Victoria Hotel as you have your back to the train station) - which makes your transport from Schipol to the hotel a very easy 20 minute train ride for 4 euro. Leidseplein, Ann Frank house, Dam Square, etc. all walkable - 20 minutes or so. Dam Square is less. Rijksmuseum is walkable also but maybe a 30 minute stroll.

The room is much larger than you normally get in Europe. I had 2 double beds. the entire hotel is supposedly non-smoking now. Everything was relatively clean, but is defnitely not the fanciest Crowne Plaza I've stayed in. All in all, I would stay there again if I were on business. If I were on leisure, I'd get adventurous and try one of the smaller "no-brand" boutique hotels around the area. There are tons of them.

The internet wireless was expensive at 19.95 euros. The pub downstairs had friendly service, but beer and food selection was lacking.

The front counter staff was extremely friendly - but I also didn't have issues that I needed them to resolve. the one note I will make about dissatisfaction is with the Porter. I needed a cab that would accept credit cards because I was short on euros (i didn't know at the time that this was rare in Amsterdam). I specifically told him that. The cab he put me in didn't take credit cards, but he assured me that it did. I had quite an issue when I arrived at my destination with not enough money to pay in cash.

The workout room and the pool are both tiny. don't expect to swim laps in the pool - its only about 10 meters long.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank ejh470
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I've stayed at Crowne Plaza in Amsterdam for app. 4 times traveling for business 9my company is headquartered in Amsterdam).

The overall experience was above average for Amsterdam. Please bear in mind that most hotels in center of Amsterdam do have small rooms. CP is created by joining several old traditional dutch buildings together so at times it can be very hard to carry your luggage through narrow corridors going up and down.

The hotel benefits from all standard CP: soundproof rooms, great pillows, extensive TV channels (including pay tv), very nice breakfast.

The location is superb. You can walk from Centraal Station (5 minutes walk) and another 5 minutes will take you to Dam. So no need for taxis here.

All in one I will return here for sure.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank ioanina
Melbourne
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I like travelling and I have spent a lot of time in hotels due mostly to business and this hotel by far has been the worse of all.
The hotel in general was not that bad location wise, rooms were kind of clean, however it does need a bit of renovation, carpets are old...
I stayed at this hotel with my partner and a friend and all 3 of us just disliked very much the service of this hotel, the reception lady was rude, unhelpful and made us feel unwelcome.
I am member of the priority club and decided to stay at this hotel because i used only book hotel through this chain, but after that experience i decided to look around for other choices.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — staff very rude (maybe not everyone is rude but our experience was just terrible)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank MoonlightRide
Helsinki
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights for business. Rate around 170 eur / night with breakfast is ok for **** -hotel, but definately not a bargain. Breakfast was ok, rooms were fine, but nothing special. Service was excellent.

Additional services were a little bit expensive: valet parking 40 eur / night, meeting room of 8 prs 350 eur / day. Use of wide-screen 250 eur add on to meeting room price was a laugh.

And as always, the reception had the info that I took snacks from the minibar, which I didn't. Was corrected, but I still wonder how come it is almost always the same thing. Someone has a truck load of crackers and soda somewhere :)

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Expensive additional services
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Prague
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I went to the hotel twice in June 2008 and stayed for 1 night each time. I absolutely liked the location of the hotel, which was simply to reach by car when coming after a whole day trip. On the other hand the main trainstation with connection to the Schiphol airport is also just around the corner. Moreover - I was there during the time of EURO 2008 and the games of the Dutch team and I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere of all people in the centre. We loved the style of the hotel and as far I heard all rooms should be refurbished in this year so then it will be definitely even better! Rooms were big enough and the soundproof was good so that nothing was heard however the rooms was towards the main street. Breakfast - simply delicious. I can only recommend this hotel - everything is close and simple.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not enough time to discover the whole surrounding
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business