My partner and myself have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Crowne Plaza in Amsterdam city centre. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the central train station which, itself, is only a 15 minute journey from Schiphol airport. Catching the train from Schiphol has to be the preferred method of travel as it costs less than 4 euros per person for a standard 2nd class ticket and is very easy to navigate.
The hotel is easy to find and is in a great, central location, 5 minutes walk from Dam Square, the red light district and many other attractions. A variety of canal cruises leave from the canal in front of the train station which, again, is minutes away.
The reception staff were very welcoming and very friendly. The hotel is part of the IHG (International Hotel Group) and if you join up you will have the cost of wi-fi waived for the duration of your stay. It costs nothing to join and I'm very glad that my wife did so before we left. That saved us some 19 euros per night, or so.
The room was a standard double room but was very spacious, more so than I have found in any previous standard double and I've stayed in a variety of hotels around the world. The room was clean, with all modern facilities, a very large bed, a mini bar, a choice of TV channels and pay per view options, etc. The pay per view is not cheap but there is a package on offer for 24hr access to all PPV options. This includes TV internet and up to date movies.
The restaurant at the hotel serves fantastic food. We didn't have evening meals included in our package and, again, the food was not cheap but neither was it excessive in cost compared to other major European capital cities. It was certainly value for money in terms of quality, however. That first night's meal competed with anything that we had on the remaining nights of our holiday. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive and very tasty.
Having checked out to travel home only this morning it was nice to have a quick and efficient check out service with a bill which matched our expenditure to the letter. No complications, no fuss.
All in all I would rate this hotel experience as exemplary and it really made the trip all the better. Myself and my wife would like to thank all the staff and the management for their efforts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kimpton De Witt is the first Kimpton hotel outside the Americas, a true debut in Europe. The hotel is situated in the heart of Amsterdam's vibrant city centre and near Amsterdam’s Centraal station. Set within three original Renaissance-era buildings, it features 274 guest rooms, including 15 signature rooms and suites, and eight meeting rooms. Wyers Bar & Restaurant, run by Executive Chef SammyD, offers American comfort food with a Dutch twist. In line with Kimpton’s innovative and playful approach to design, the hotel features a “house within a hotel” – a four-storey ‘Little House’ which was once the childhood home of Dutch playwright, P.C. Hooft and dates back to the 1500s. Other distinctive features include a flower shop within the hotel and a Miss Louisa Coffee & Beignets walk-up window for locals to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza City Centre Hotel Amsterdam
- Crowne Plaza Amsterdam
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Amsterdam