“Much improved”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Much improved”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here years ago and pleased to see it has been updated and modernised.
Very close to Centraal Station - so good access to Schipol airport.
Breakfast was overpriced at 25 Euro each - even with the priority club discount.

Room Tip: Join the priority club programme so that you get free internet access otherwise it is very expensive...
5 Thank NigelCLondon
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor

It is exiting to read that you visited our hotel after the renovation. The renovation took place in 2009 and the rooms and indeed the interior of the hotel received a modern and fresh update.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. The Central Railway station is located within 5 minutes of walking where trains take you to Schiphol Airport in 15 minutes.

I am sorry to read that you find our breakfast to be overpriced. The breakfast exists of a full American buffet with a choice for everyone. In the surrounding of the hotel there are many lunch rooms and coffee shops to get a quick and small breakfast.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your comment with the travel community.
We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Devon
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed hear on Boxing Day 2012 with my wife, son and his girlfriend.

The location is excellent just a few metres and short walk from the central station, the service on check in was fast, efficient and courteous, a bowl of fresh fruit was in the room.

The room was spacious very clean and moderm with contemporary feel. The bar lounge area was of an excellent standard and the hotel had a drinks offer so bar prices were very reasonable.

Just sorry that the stay was so short as we had to be away early in the morning to catch a flight.

I would not hessitate to recommend this hotel to both business and leisure visitors

Room Tip: Just a few metres from the central train station
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for sharing your positive comment on Tripadvisor

It is exiting to read that you would recommend our hotel to business and leisure travellers.
It is also wonderful to read that you found our hotel rooms to be spacious, clean, and modern with a contemporary feeling.

It is a pleasure to read that you visited our New-Dorrius restaurant and bar during the Happy Hour. During this special offer you will receive 2 drinks for one price; this is a special offer for our hotel guests.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My experience with Crowne Plaza was on the right track right from Day One. I got in touch with their very friendly and efficient agents through the live chat function on their website. I was able to get instant answers to my questions and subsequently, instant modification to my booking.

Upon arrival, I was very pleased to know that they have actually remembered my request for an early check-in (sometime around 10am). The room was all ready waiting for us. After a long long flight from Singapore, this kind gesture is certainly very much appreciated.

Every time my Husband and I leave or return to the Hotel, we would be, without fail, greeted by their staff at the counter. The simple greeting and sincere smile really made our days in Amsterdam even more memorable.

Requests were also attended to very attentively. I asked for help to book a return shuttle to the airport. With just a few essential questions from the concierge, the job was done in no time. My flight was in the late evening. With a quick check from their booking system, the staff readily agreed to my request for a late check-out. Furthermore, I had a weird request to borrow a vacuum cleaner to vacuum pack my thick winter clothing. Not only did the staff not give me any strange looks, they suggested that I ask for it directly from the housekeeper who could be on her rounds on my floor at that moment. True enough, I found her with much ease and got what I want easily.

Not forgetting, the Hotel's location is superb! Its so near Centraal and getting around via public transport are such hassle-less experiences. Dam Square is just a stone's throw away and this had made the stay more fun.

However, the only thing which I hope they can improve is the wifi service. For the nearly 200euros/night I spent, I would expect to enjoy complimentary wifi service. If I remember correctly, the wifi is charged at 20euros a day. Not sure if this is the normal rate in European hotels, but personally to me, this is very expensive.

All in all, the Hotel stay was very pleasant and comfortable. It has made my one week trip to Amsterdam so much more memorable.

Thank you very much for sharing your positive comment on Tripadvisor

It is exiting to read that your experience with the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre was on the right track from day one.

It is wonderful to read that we were able to assist you with your request of an early check in. Thank you for compliment our staff as being friendly and efficient. It is always good to hear that staff is delivering the service they do.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is suburb. The hotel is located in the City Centre within walking distance of public transport and Amsterdam’s main highlights.

I am sorry to hear that you find the wireless service high in price. We are currently working on a new system for the wireless internet to make it a better and less expensive service. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

It is a great pleasure to read that we could make your stay a memorable one.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My partner and I just found a real gem in Amsterdam this past week. The Crown Plaza City Center is one of the best run hotels we've ever visited, and as a airline employee previously, and a travel agency owner now, we know hotels. On checkin the staff was friendly and very helpful. Checkin was fast and we were off to our room in 5 minutes. They always have plenty of staff for checkin, and we rarely saw anyone having to wait.

The room was nice, well organized and EVERYTHING worked well. Both the main curtain and the sheers had every connection with the rod in tact, they moved easily, and worked properly. The bathroom was well appointed, bed quite comfortable, and the room was cleaned properly every day we were there. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant every morning, found the food and variety excellent, and the staff displayed that usual friendliness we saw with all of the staff. We had dinner there one night, as will, and found that to also be excellent.

The location of the hotel was excellent! Right on the main street car line, and only a minute's walk to Dam Square, the very center of Amsterdam. In addition, if you arrive by train as we did from Brussels, the Central Station is only 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

All in all, I don't remember any hotel ever working this well for us in 40 years of being in the travel business. Next time you're in Amsterdam, don't miss this property. You will love it.

Thank you very much for sharing your positive comment on Tripadvisor

It is a pleasure to read that we could assist you with a fast check in and for complimenting our staff as being friendly and helpful.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet in our restaurant New-Dorrius. Also I find it exiting to read that you classify the variety of the food as excellent also for the dinner which you enjoyed.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is excellent. The hotel is located within walking distance of many highlights which Amsterdam has to offer. Also public transport and the central railway station is located within walking distance.

Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I decided on this hotel because of the favorable reviews. Everything was perfect. Fantastic location, friendly staff and immaculately clean. After a long flight from LA I was looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel near the train station. Every aspect of this hotel exceeded my expectations.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Scottsdalelarry
CPamsterdam, Room Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with the travel community.

It is exiting to read that every aspect of our hotel exceeded your expectations.

Indeed as you mention, our hotel has the perfect location near to the Central Railway station.
Trains leave every 15 minutes to Schiphol Airport. Also Amsterdam’s main highlights are located within walking distance from the hotel even as the shopping street and many nice restaurants and bars.

Once again thank you very much for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor.

We hope to welcome you back at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed in 2 deluxe, twin rooms for two nights. The rooms were large, beautiful and immaculately clean. We asked for rooms in the "quiet zone" and there was absolutely no street noise.
The breakfast buffet was more than ample and delicious.
The staff and service were excellent.
The location was great; a short walk to the central station and very close to the pedestrian shopping streets.
We highly recommend this hotel.
Ps. If security is important: a room "key" is needed to call the elevator to the lobby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experience with the travel community.

It is a pleasure to read that you describe our hotel as being great and to classify our staff and service as being excellent. It is always good to hear that staff is delivering the service they do.

It is wonderful to read that you made use of the breakfast buffet. Our New Dorrius Restaurant and bar provides you indeed with a sumptuous breakfast that keeps you going all day.

As you mentioned indeed the location of the hotel is very convenient. The Central Railway station is located within 5 minutes walking distance of the hotel. Also the shopping street and many restaurants are located in the surroundings of Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

Once again thank you very much for your positive comment on Tripadvisor and for recommending our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Centre.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night during my honeymoon. The hotel has a great location & was very easy to find (we walked from the train station). The staff was very friendly as well. Our room was clean & comfortable. Would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CPamsterdam, Rooms Division Manager at Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comment with the travel community.

It is a pleasure to read that you choose our hotel as the place to celebrate your Honeymoon.

I agree with you in saying that the location of the hotel is very convenient. As you mention the hotel is easy to find and within 5 minutes walking distance of the Central Railway station. Also the shopping street is located around the corner and many restaurant and bars are located within walking distance.

Thank you very much for recommending our hotel.
We hope to welcome you back at the Crowne Plaza Amterdam City Centre.

Maurice Janssen,